*NEW* - MOtion Hole - Video - How To & Demonstration

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: *NEW* - MOtion Hole - Video - How To & Demonstration

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote: I put a Motion hole in a Maxxed out. I saw less Rev-up in that ball than in any that I have tried it on. I got the full 1 1/4" hole in it too. Need to try it again on different surface. The IQ's that I tried it on really came alive on wood.
Different core shapes definitely react differently to MOtion Holes. However, not many of them react negatively, just different degrees of positively. We design symmetrical balls so MOtion Holes are one of the good options. 5 distinct options yield greater versatility.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
AJCZAR
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 7/8 up
Speed: 18 MPH off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75

Post by AJCZAR »

elgavachon wrote: I put a Motion hole in a Maxxed out. I saw less Rev-up in that ball than in any that I have tried it on. I got the full 1 1/4" hole in it too. Need to try it again on different surface. The IQ's that I tried it on really came alive on wood.
Are the Maxxed Out and 4.5 the same core? Because I haven't had a whole lot of luck with my 4.5.
DAVIDINIL
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5 right x 5/8 up
Speed: 18 CATS
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: storm

Post by DAVIDINIL »

Mo Pinel wrote: Different core shapes definitely react differently to MOtion Holes. However, not many of them react negatively, just different degrees of positively. We design symmetrical balls so MOtion Holes are one of the good options. 5 distinct options yield greater versatility.
I'm dying to get my hands on a Yeti. Right now I have one of those "good problems to have". I just recently came into 3 free, new in box, bowling balls. I'll get to the Yeti eventually tho!
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful

Rev Rate - 350
Speed (CATS) - 17
Axis Tilt - 15
Axis Rotation - 30-60
Sport Shot Avg - 208
THS Avg - 229
Plamormick
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: over 5 1/8", up 3/8"
Speed: 16.4 mph at pins
Axis Tilt: 13*
Heavy Oil Ball: MOTIV Raptor, RG Alliance Tour
Medium Oil Ball: MOTIV Sigma Tour, Storm Victory Road
Light Oil Ball: MOTIV Recon RX1o, MOTIV Primal
Preferred Company: MOTIV

Post by Plamormick »

I put a MOtion hole in an overseas Roto Grip Alliance Tour (1/3 pearl, 2/3 solid hybrid, Pinnacle core-- you know, that awkward 'cube-with-wings' looking core) for a teammate with high track and low tilt. WHAT A MONSTER! Now he is ripping racks and shipping messengers across the deck on a regular basis.

Talk about a ball-saver: he was going to sell this ball because he didn't like the ball motion.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
Proprietor, Pla-Mor Bowl
Operator, Lane 13 Pro Shop
halfaloaf
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 1/2^
Speed: 16.5
Preferred Company: columbia/storm

Post by halfaloaf »

just to follow up on my MOhole Outburst. started with 3/4'' hole noticed more hitting power and continuation threw the pin deck.. went to 7/8'' bit and it seemed to hurt the roll. the ball had an appearence of wobbling through the midlane but it still hit like a tank... last nite i went up to a 1'' hole...HOLY SMOKES... i had 14 in a row during warm-ups.. first game i could have struck out for 256 but threw the worst shot of the season (greek church) ... then went 269- 269.....very easily could have been a couple honor scores... the only pins left on the deck were turd tens due to me missing a move and a couple blower sevens.. QUESTION.... should i keep making the hole bigger or just stop now?? is it possible this ball can get better? oh yeah!! one more question.. my PAP is over 5 and i have an old resurgance with a pin over the fingers... is it set in stone that i need to use pins next to my ring finger or is it possible a MOhole will work with a pin over the fingers with a PAP over 5??? thanks
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

halfaloaf wrote:just to follow up on my MOhole Outburst. started with 3/4'' hole noticed more hitting power and continuation threw the pin deck.. went to 7/8'' bit and it seemed to hurt the roll. the ball had an appearence of wobbling through the midlane but it still hit like a tank... last nite i went up to a 1'' hole...HOLY SMOKES... i had 14 in a row during warm-ups.. first game i could have struck out for 256 but threw the worst shot of the season (greek church) ... then went 269- 269.....very easily could have been a couple honor scores... the only pins left on the deck were turd tens due to me missing a move and a couple blower sevens.. QUESTION.... should i keep making the hole bigger or just stop now?? is it possible this ball can get better? oh yeah!! one more question.. my PAP is over 5 and i have an old resurgance with a pin over the fingers... is it set in stone that i need to use pins next to my ring finger or is it possible a MOhole will work with a pin over the fingers with a PAP over 5??? thanks
Stop! You can use pis above, beside, or under the finger line as long as you keep the pin to PAP distance between 3" and 4 3/4". Have at it!
distjamb
THS Average: 213
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 > 5/8 up
Speed: 16-17mph on monitor
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 11*
Axis Rotation: 55*
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Nano
Medium Oil Ball: Bruswick maxxed out
Light Oil Ball: Storm Firestorm

Post by distjamb »

I increased the hole in my Hyroad from 1" which gave me a decent look with a TON of backend to a 1 1/4 which turned the ball into a dud. Ball goes straight! Going to plug and go with the 3/4 hole which I should have started with in the first place.
pap: 4 5/8" over -5/8" up
speed: 17-18mph off hand
rev rate: 320
axis rotation: 55*
axis tilt: 11-13*

years bowling: 6
league average: 213
high game: 300
high series: 792
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

You can use pis above, beside, or under the finger line as long as you keep the pin to PAP distance between 3" and 4 3/4". Have at it!
What happens if you get out of that range? -- JohnP
AJCZAR
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 7/8 up
Speed: 18 MPH off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75

Post by AJCZAR »

JohnP wrote: What happens if you get out of that range? -- JohnP
Just a guess, but considering how long this layout gets, outside that range might not flare enough to get a usable reaction. Especially the longer pin...the ball would retain tilt until it hit the mechanic.

I'm curious to see if I'm close...
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I think the answer is, less flare outside that range.
Remember the effect of PIN to PAP is blurred with this layout since the hole is so strong.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Outside that range you'll end up with less flare. The results might end up with too much length since the increase in gyroscopic inertia will make the ball stay on its axis longer.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Thanks. My problem is low speed for my revs. I need long, smooth, but continuous. Sounds to me as if the flare reduction with the MoHole might fit the bill. -- JohnP
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I have a Hammer Nail #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055)
Drilled 70-5-40
Pin is directly above the bridge cg is just below the ring finger Pin is 3-5/8" from grip center
Post drilled 1/4oz top 3/4oz side 1/2oz Finger
Factory finish 800 Abranet®, 1000, 2000, 4000 Abralon­®, Powerhouse™ Factory Finish Polish
This ball is great on a broken down house shot Until Ive moved in to 4th arrow trying to get it out to the breakpoint outside the 10 board It just seems to run out of carry. Also it is way to jumpy on the fresh lanes, Would love to put some surface on it and be able to use it for all 3 games.

Currently it has 3" of flare.

Idea: Drill the ring finger deeper resurface to 2000 add a MOhole

Would this be a good canditate for a MOtion hole?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

EricHartwell wrote:I have a Hammer Nail #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055)
Drilled 70-5-40
Pin is directly above the bridge cg is just below the ring finger Pin is 3-5/8" from grip center
Post drilled 1/4oz top 3/4oz side 1/2oz Finger
Factory finish 800 Abranet®, 1000, 2000, 4000 Abralon­®, Powerhouse™ Factory Finish Polish
This ball is great on a broken down house shot Until Ive moved in to 4th arrow trying to get it out to the breakpoint outside the 10 board It just seems to run out of carry. Also it is way to jumpy on the fresh lanes, Would love to put some surface on it and be able to use it for all 3 games.

Currently it has 3" of flare.

Idea: Drill the ring finger deeper resurface to 2000 add a MOhole

Would this be a good canditate for a MOtion hole?
Your plan seems accurate. Go for it. Let me know what happens?
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

Finally got a chance to drill the Yeti today. I must say this ball rolled great, out of the box with a 4" pin to pap no hole. Cover was clean, but the motor was working hard. Didn't over read the dry, or wiggle when i missed in. While i was tempted to leave it alone, it was meant for the mohole experiment. The other 2 balls i have done for myself were already drilled with very low flare layouts. Went with a 7/8" x 3 1/2' hole. I could feel the core a little past 2". Went back to the lanes, and saw 3-4 more feet of skid phase. Ball rolled ok, but had to move 3 and 2 out to get to the pocket. As a low/medium tilt player i like the continuation, but need the mid lane read back. I hope a light surface adjustment will give me the original reaction while retaining tilt. will try tomorrow...:]
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

russelldean wrote:Finally got a chance to drill the Yeti today. I must say this ball rolled great, out of the box with a 4" pin to pap no hole. Cover was clean, but the motor was working hard. Didn't over read the dry, or wiggle when i missed in. While i was tempted to leave it alone, it was meant for the mohole experiment. The other 2 balls i have done for myself were already drilled with very low flare layouts. Went with a 7/8" x 3 1/2' hole. I could feel the core a little past 2". Went back to the lanes, and saw 3-4 more feet of skid phase. Ball rolled ok, but had to move 3 and 2 out to get to the pocket. As a low/medium tilt player i like the continuation, but need the mid lane read back. I hope a light surface adjustment will give me the original reaction while retaining tilt. will try tomorrow...:]
Please drill the MOtion Hole 4" deep to the tip of the bit.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

Yes sir...will do.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
Lawnmowerman
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Lawnmowerman »

I'm drilling a motion hole on a defiant this afternoon. My pap is 6.5" over and 1/2" up. I'm gonna put the pin to pap at 4 3/4" beside my ring finger. any thoughts?
Lawnmowerman
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Lawnmowerman »

Well I drilled the disturbed (I said defiant by mistake) and it rolls great. The lanes were dry so I was walking around the ball return but the ball finished flush every time. I've had 3 300s and an 800 since January but I have never had a ball turn the corner and continue driving like this. I threw a nightmare drilled 85x3.4x25 on the same line to compare and it labored to turn the corner and rolled out in comparison. count high speed, high rev, low tilt players as candidated for this drill. got a yeti on order for another motion hole drill. thanks for this website.
Izzat
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over, 1 3/8 up
Speed: camera: 16.7 mph, 2.5 sec
Axis Tilt: 20

Post by Izzat »

Hi there.
After reading a lot about this layout, it really peak my interest. I'm going to try & experiment it on a 2nd hand ball first.

Just wondering whether I can build an arsenal just by using this MOtion hole layout in all of my equipment for different oil conditions?
(btw, I'm speed dominant)

It seems to me that this layout is much simpler & doesn't require much precision as the dual angle but with all the added perks :D

P/S: My current equipment is, Taboo purple, crossroad, & arson low flare.