Hole 1" down the VAL?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
trackbowler
Matchplay Champion
Matchplay Champion
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 1/2 up
Speed: 18 off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Radical

Hole 1" down the VAL?

Post by trackbowler »

While watching a video on buddiesproshop it appears to me that the second bowler has a hole 1" down his VAL. I may be completely wrong but if it is what would that be equivalent to, a p2.5 hole?

heres the video if you skip to 50 secs it shows his layout after a few shots. [youtube][/youtube]
Kyle
AJCZAR
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 7/8 up
Speed: 18 MPH off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75

Re: Hole 1" down the VAL?

Post by AJCZAR »

A hole down the VAL is separate from a P2.5.

A hole down the VAL (more or less) reduces the effective drilling angle.

On a symmetric, the PSA ends up 1/2 left of the center line 6 3/4" from the pin. A hole down the VAL will "pull" the PSA towards the new balance hole. The bigger/deeper the hole, the more the drilling angle will be reduced.
trackbowler
Matchplay Champion
Matchplay Champion
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 1/2 up
Speed: 18 off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by trackbowler »

Yes I realize that, I just had never seen anyone on here recommend one and didn't know if it just lowers the drilling angle less than a hole 2" down the VAL or if there was any reason to choose a 1" down hole over a 2" down hole.
Kyle
The Kid

Post by The Kid »

It might be an effort at manipulating static weights. He might just have wanted more finger weight and less side weight.

But as far a measurable effects from a 1" down the VAL balance hole, you could expect to PSA to move towards the VAL, but less than 2" down the VAL hole.

One might also choose this in order to avoid flaring over the 2" down the VAL hole. Say you throw the ball without the hole, but want an earlier read. Then you place a tape where you would put the hole and find out you would flare over it. Then, you might decide to put a hole 1" down the VAL instead.

Also, because it would have less of an effect on the PSA movement, it could act more like a Gradient Balance Hole (P2-P3 or so) by mostly just increasing the diffs.