oil track over thumb hole

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
ringing7

oil track over thumb hole

Post by ringing7 »

Hopefully this question can be answered without needing too much detail about my game.
I am a 180 avg bowler. lefty. have a slower ball speed. stroker. do not have details of my current drill setup.

I am currently leaving a lot of corner pins when i hit the pocket clean. I notice that my oil track is around 3" from the finger tips and goes directly over the thumb hole. So my basic question is whether this is due to needing my ball drilled differently or if there is a simple change i can make in my release to prevent the ball from rolling over the thumb hole?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: oil track over thumb hole

Post by elgavachon »

ringing7 wrote:Hopefully this question can be answered without needing too much detail about my game.
I am a 180 avg bowler. lefty. have a slower ball speed. stroker. do not have details of my current drill setup.

I am currently leaving a lot of corner pins when i hit the pocket clean. I notice that my oil track is around 3" from the finger tips and goes directly over the thumb hole. So my basic question is whether this is due to needing my ball drilled differently or if there is a simple change i can make in my release to prevent the ball from rolling over the thumb hole?
More wrist cock (not cup) might lower your track off of the thumb and give you a different look. If you are into changing your grip specs, go to the wiki and get a wiki fit and post your specs to see if you are a candidate for a performance fit.
distjamb
THS Average: 213
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 > 5/8 up
Speed: 16-17mph on monitor
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 11*
Axis Rotation: 55*
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Nano
Medium Oil Ball: Bruswick maxxed out
Light Oil Ball: Storm Firestorm

Post by distjamb »

Tracking over the thumb is often caused by the thumb exiting too late from the ball. Work on not sqeezing. Relax that hand in the ball.

Ive noticed when i dont clear the thumb properly my track is closer to thumb as well.
pap: 4 5/8" over -5/8" up
speed: 17-18mph off hand
rev rate: 320
axis rotation: 55*
axis tilt: 11-13*

years bowling: 6
league average: 213
high game: 300
high series: 792
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

elgavachon wrote: More wrist cock (not cup) might lower your track off of the thumb and give you a different look. If you are into changing your grip specs, go to the wiki and get a wiki fit and post your specs to see if you are a candidate for a performance fit.
In addition to wrist cock, place thumb @ 10 o'clock, fore finger spread out (ball should rest on pad at base of fore finger and tip of fore finger) and pinkie finger in (laying next to ring finger).

Also, ditto to what distjamb says.
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

You are almost a full roller. Be sure as you release the ball your wrist rotates clockwise (for a left hander), that should move you away from the thumb hole. -- JohnP
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

This can also be caused by using too high a val angle in correlation to the drilling angle on bowlers with an up coordinate in their PAP.
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

elgavachon wrote: More wrist cock (not cup) might lower your track off of the thumb and give you a different look. If you are into changing your grip specs, go to the wiki and get a wiki fit and post your specs to see if you are a candidate for a performance fit.
Want to add it would be a very good idea to follow "elgavachon's" suggestion to do the WIKI Fit if you haven't already. The suggestions you are getting will help BUT will be much more effortless with the correct grip specs. Proper fit is very important. I was introduced to the "relaxed" fingertip grip around 30 years ago. Although it was a better fit it is nothing compared to a proper WIKI Fit.

Good luck
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
Triplicate
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1 1/2
Speed: 16-18 at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45+-

Post by Triplicate »

ringing7 wrote:Hopefully this question can be answered without needing too much detail about my game.

If you really want to fix this it is going to require more detail.

Although its true that your grip may cause this you still should investigate the layout of your ball.

As already mentioned here your ball layout may be off, thus forcing the ball to roll over the hole. If this is the case no grip change will help resolve this issue.

What is your layout in dual angle terms? Could you provide a picture of the ball showing the pin , cg and mass bias marker if it's an asym? Let me know.

I'm sorry if this seems too complicated but it is what it is.

I hope this helps!
High Game - 300 (20), 299 (10), 298 (2), 11 in a row (18)
High Series - (278 Triplicate) = 834 (9)
HOF induction - 2 (1 Local and 1 Provincial)
Is this helpful? Then Click the Image on the bottom right.