Full-Roller Question

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Full-Roller Question

Post by Arkansas »

I know I ask a lot full-rollers. I'm not one myself, but my brother and two of my friends who are pretty high scorers are full-rollers. I've been trying to help them add axis tilt, but they all average 10-40 pins higher than me so they're not easily convinced that they're doing something incorrect or could be doing something better.

Anyway, my question is about this statement by Mo, "The key is the axis tilt! A ball will continue to hit as long qs the axis tilt is > 0* when the ball hits the pins, no matter how much axis rotation the ball has."

When I'm talking to my brother about tilt I say, "You need tilt for the ball to have hitting power" and he just laughs at me because he blows the pins off the deck with no tilt all the time. Now the few times he's been able to release the ball with tilt, using Mo's standard no thumb finger pitches, the ball does react differently and does seem to hit harder.

My question is why do their ball's seem to hit without tilt? They are all three high rev, high speed bowlers. Is it because of that? If you have 18-20MPH ball speed and 350-400 rev rates do you not need tilt? How can we correct thier lack of tilt? Two are no thumbers and the third is a half thumber. All three come way around the ball and release it with their hand on the side of the ball. There is a video of the two-hander in the coaching section.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
James Talley
Triplicate
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1 1/2
Speed: 16-18 at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45+-

Re: Full-Roller Question

Post by Triplicate »

Have a look at this.... http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... all_Motion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that at the end of the hook phase you have reached your MAXIMUM RPM!

Now given the info you provided if a bowler with say 19 mph speed off his hand AND he has transitioned into the end of he hook phase he will be at just over 600 rpm at that moment! If he is about to hit the pocket at that moment not much is going to stand up!

Speed translates into rpm at the end of the hook zone. It's the same for low (300-) and high rev players (400+) as well provided you've made it to the end of the hook phase right before impacting the pins.

So no you don't need tilt to have hitting power. Tilt only lengthens the roll phase prior to hook out and the longer you take in the roll phase the less hitting power and rpm you'll have at impact.

I hope this helps!
High Game - 300 (20), 299 (10), 298 (2), 11 in a row (18)
High Series - (278 Triplicate) = 834 (9)
HOF induction - 2 (1 Local and 1 Provincial)
Is this helpful? Then Click the Image on the bottom right.