WTBA Montreal 41' Oil Pattern

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
CrankyOldMan
THS Average: 198
Positive Axis Point: 5.00" x 0.5" up
Speed: 16.0 mph
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 35
Heavy Oil Ball: Hammer BW Legend, Ebonite Warrior Supreme, DV8 Pitbull Growl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Quantum Fire Pearl, Storm IQ Tour, DV8 Hitman
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Midnight Vibe
Preferred Company: Storm, DV8, Brunswick, Hammer

WTBA Montreal 41' Oil Pattern

Post by CrankyOldMan »

Is anyone familiar with the WTBA Montreal 41' oil pattern? I'm going to be bowling on it in a couple of weeks and have absolutely no idea what equipment to use or how to play the lanes. I was able to find the graphs, but am still learning how to read them and interpret the data. Any help / advice that you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ........ COM
halfaclue
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 x 1/8 up
Speed: 19 off hand
Rev Rate: 405
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65*
Heavy Oil Ball: REAX Version 2
Medium Oil Ball: Yeti Untamed
Light Oil Ball: Grease monkey
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: WTBA Montreal 41' Oil Pattern

Post by halfaclue »

Montreal has a corner of 14 on the right and left sides. Looking at the graphs and remembering how I have played this pattern I would start right (I'm right handed). I would try to have a break point around 5,6, or 7 and then chase the pattern inside until I reach the corner. Once I reach the corner with the break point I am going to ball down, ball down and ball down until the tournament is over.

Transition of this pattern will depend greatly on who is bowling with you, how many on a pair and how many games. Most importantly who is bowling with and in front of you. I like the symmetrical stuff on this pattern, but asyms work too.

I hope this helps, please let us know how you do.
Dan

Ball speed: 19 mph (off hand)
Tilt: 18*
Rotation: 55*
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

halfaclue wrote:Montreal has a corner of 14 on the right and left sides. Looking at the graphs and remembering how I have played this pattern I would start right (I'm right handed). I would try to have a break point around 5,6, or 7 and then chase the pattern inside until I reach the corner. Once I reach the corner with the break point I am going to ball down, ball down and ball down until the tournament is over.

Transition of this pattern will depend greatly on who is bowling with you, how many on a pair and how many games. Most importantly who is bowling with and in front of you. I like the symmetrical stuff on this pattern, but asyms work too.

Super!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Rob590
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Brunswick, DV8

Post by Rob590 »

You will have to bear in mind just one more thing.

All WTBA international patterns require Kegel Reverse Drop Brush technology for laying the patterns correctly. I played same pattern (Athens) laid with A22, HVO Summit and Kustodian ION and I can tell you that those were three different patterns to play on.

All I want to say is, if lane machine is not Kegel machine, you can expect bigger amount of oil on the end of the pattern, so some balls might not read properly.

Cheers,

Rob
Robert Šurina

FB: Robert Šurina

PAP: 4" over 1/8" up
speed: 17,5 - 18,5 mph range
revs: 250 - 300 RPM range
tilt: 17° - 20° range
rotation: 40° - 50° range
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Rob590 wrote:You will have to bear in mind just one more thing.

All WTBA international patterns require Kegel Reverse Drop Brush technology for laying the patterns correctly. I played same pattern (Athens) laid with A22, HVO Summit and Kustodian ION and I can tell you that those were three different patterns to play on.

All I want to say is, if lane machine is not Kegel machine, you can expect bigger amount of oil on the end of the pattern, so some balls might not read properly.

Cheers,

Rob
Depends on how well the patterns are written!
cowxxii

Post by cowxxii »

halfaclue wrote:Montreal has a corner of 14 on the right and left sides. Looking at the graphs and remembering how I have played this pattern I would start right (I'm right handed). I would try to have a break point around 5,6, or 7 and then chase the pattern inside until I reach the corner. Once I reach the corner with the break point I am going to ball down, ball down and ball down until the tournament is over.

Why would you start that far right? My curiousity has gotten the better of me, and I had to ask. Or maybe I've missed something on the Wiki page...

Cow
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

cowxxii wrote: Why would you start that far right? My curiousity has gotten the better of me, and I had to ask. Or maybe I've missed something on the Wiki page...

Cow
He starts with a weaker ball farther right to make sure there's no OB when he moves in to the proper place. Dan's pretty crafty.