Is there a ceiling on technology?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Is there a ceiling on technology?

Post by MegaMav »

With the USBC restricting Ra values and Differential, it seems the governing body is attempting to put a cap on technology's effect on the game.

Putting that aside, even without USBC sanctions and intervention, do you foresee a natural cap on technology.

Are we getting close to this limit?
purduepaul
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over by 5/8" up
Speed: 19
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling

Re: Is there a ceiling on technology?

Post by purduepaul »

MegaMav wrote:With the USBC restricting Ra values and Differential, it seems the governing body is attempting to put a cap on technology's effect on the game.

Putting that aside, even without USBC sanctions and intervention, do you foresee a natural cap on technology.

Are we getting close to this limit?
Yes but no and let me explain why. It's my opinion that as an industry we still only understand half the picture with coverstocks. I think in the future we may see different formulas that can have a lower surface roughness, no fillers, and all the hook you will want. Technology is always involving, remember ten years ago, we thought we hit the ceiling with computers now we basically carry computers as cell phones.
Paul Ridenour
former Sr Research Engineer at USBC
Radical Bowling Technologies Staffer