effects of spin time on ball motion

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Heckle89

effects of spin time on ball motion

Post by Heckle89 »

I was inquiring on the effects of spin time on ball motion, does a lower spin time cause the ball to stand up easier or does it help for more continuation? I guess I'm trying to understand the effect this variable has on ball motion. I assume lower spin times shorten the hook phase, and cause the ball to have a quicker reaction to friction, correct me if I'm wrong.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: effects of spin time on ball motion

Post by MegaMav »

Correct, spin time is a numerical representation of the length of the hook zone.
Lower spin times (less than 5) mean a very abrupt reaction to friction.
Spin times over 7 typically are more lopey and indicative of either a symmetrical core and/or a long VAL angle.
Heckle89

Post by Heckle89 »

Thanks for the reply, I guess what I'm trying to gather is which spin time (over/under 7 sec) causes the ball to stand up (hook stop) or continue motion.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Higher spin time means the length of the hook zone is longer, and will take longer to hit the roll phase than a lower spin time ball.

Skid-Hook-Roll

Reference: http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... all_Motion
Heckle89

Post by Heckle89 »

Ahh, thank you Megamav, definitely clears up my mental picture.
JJR247
THS Average: 175
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 out 1 1/2 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich Ntense LevRG
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Solid LevRG 55 X 2 1/2 X 35
Light Oil Ball: Morich Solid LevRG 55 X 2 1/2 X 35
Preferred Company: MoRich

Post by JJR247 »

If you search for "spin time" and look for things posted by Megamav, you'll find some great info.
Here is one right here from a thread posted by GBuck called "Correct 4-ball Arsenal":
I am also a 4, sometimes closer to 3.5.
I am going to go a little against the grain on this one.
I personally like to pair my equipment up, mostly because I wont make more than 1 ball change per night.
This is a lineup based on my experiences of being speed dominant for the past 2 years.
I have found myself basing reaction on spin time and friction amount, so I will do so here as well.

#1 - High Surface & Fast Engine - Asymmetrical - DestroyR - You've got this one right, a ball you'll bring when the lane has a volume of oil on it, you're not comfortable using your benchmark ball on. Target spin time - 4.5 Seconds - Double Thumb or Deep P3 may be needed.
My Ball: Double Thumbed LevRG Response @ 1500

#2 - Medium High Surface Blender - Symmetrical or Asymmetrical under .008 Intermediate Differential - .025 to .035 Total Differential - I've found when my #1 is just revving up too hard and too early, I want something with about the same amount of surface, maybe a little less and a slower spin time because the backends are flying. Target spin time - 6.0 Seconds - Strong Layout Again - Will get you that in between symmetric and asymmetric spin time.
My Ball: Double Thumbed Visionary Ogre Particle @ 1000

#3 - Benchmark Asymmetric - Mania - Personally I like my benchmark as an asymmetric being speed dominant. You could argue #2 should be your benchmark ball being the blender, but I have a tendency to reach for the top 2, and a stronger layout on #2 wouldnt make it a benchmark - Target Spin Time - 5.2 Seconds
My Ball: 55 x 4 x 35 Awesome Finish @ 1500

#4 - Weaker Symmetric - Slingshot - You win here on this one, for truly dry conditions, add 10 to your VAL angle. Knock the polish off @ 2000. Target Spin Time - 7-8 Seconds.
My Ball: Legends & Lane Masters - Terminator Rebellion - 2.75" x 45
I would love to see what the spin times on my current arsenal are to get an idea of what my target spin times would be.
junebugfan
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: No Clue
Speed: 15.6-17.2 Camera
Rev Rate: 1
Axis Tilt: Bad
Axis Rotation: Yes
Heavy Oil Ball: 919c
Medium Oil Ball: Mutant Cell
Light Oil Ball: Plastic
Preferred Company: Track

Post by junebugfan »

Okay I'm going to expose my stupidity here....what the heck is "spin time"? At first read I thought it meant the amount of time on the lane that ball is revving before succumbing to friction & entering the roll phase, but I see you referring to "7-8 seconds" of spin time. From the time the ball leaves the hand until it hits the deck is only 2-3 seconds, so is spin time a theoretical number?
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by MathIsTruth »

junebugfan wrote:Okay I'm going to expose my stupidity here....what the heck is "spin time"? At first read I thought it meant the amount of time on the lane that ball is revving before succumbing to friction & entering the roll phase, but I see you referring to "7-8 seconds" of spin time. From the time the ball leaves the hand until it hits the deck is only 2-3 seconds, so is spin time a theoretical number?
Read this..

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1137&p=9659&hilit= ... time#p9659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know there are other threads that explain how to calculate spin time but I have somewhere to be in 20 minutes. There are youtube videos as well. I looked in the wiki but couldnt find anything quickly about spin time. Good luck and hope that helps some before others chime in.

[youtube][/youtube]
junebugfan
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: No Clue
Speed: 15.6-17.2 Camera
Rev Rate: 1
Axis Tilt: Bad
Axis Rotation: Yes
Heavy Oil Ball: 919c
Medium Oil Ball: Mutant Cell
Light Oil Ball: Plastic
Preferred Company: Track

Post by junebugfan »

Thank you sir. I now understand that it is something best left to my driller instead of concerning myself with it LOL