Looking for oil patterns for Phoenix pad machine

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
jaydee

Looking for oil patterns for Phoenix pad machine

Post by jaydee »

I'm trying to get a sports shot league going in the summer for an older, independant 16-lane wood alley. My aim is for it to be more educational than competetive. Thought is 10 weeks on three different patterns, one short, one medium, one long, with emphasis on playing the lane correctly for each pattern (handing out literature about each pattern ahead of time).

This alley has a Phoenix 8 Pad machine, the manager there says he does not have access to all the "modern" sport patterns ("World" patterns, PBA, etc). I was wondering if there was a library of sorts for an older machine like that we can access for this league. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I'm just looking for a ~36', ~40', ~44' sport compliant program with around 3:1 ratio.

Thanks
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Looking for oil patterns for Phoenix pad machine

Post by MegaMav »

Did you look at the oil pattern library in the wiki?
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

I believe Kegel has a pattern library specifically for this machine.

http://www.kegel.net/patternlibrary/def ... &iKodLane=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaydee

Post by jaydee »

I'm kind of a newb as far as oil pattern programs go, so please bear with me.

Looking at the wiki, I see programs for "Fluid Metered", "Roller", "A22" and "AMF". Does one or all of these pertain to the Phoenix Pad 8?

Looking at the Kegel website, I see programs for the "Phoenix S model B" and "Phoenix S Model C". I see that I can download "KOSI" files for a number of patterns for both of these. Are they compatible with the Phoenix Pad 8? Is it as simple as putting these KOSI files on a thumb drive and handing it to the manager?

Thanks
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

It's going to depend on what kind of options you have on your lane machine to be honest. You should get the model#, and give kegel a call.

They can probably point you to a service manual for your specific product that will outline the process step by step. Kegel is a very friendly company to work with, and will go out of their way to help you. I know this first hand, because they assisted in getting a pattern for a bowling center I was helping who still used a 6 pad DBA Xcel.

2 weeks after putting the pattern into the old DBA, the house had it's first 300 thrown in probably 10 years.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

StrikeTheory wrote:It's going to depend on what kind of options you have on your lane machine to be honest. You should get the model#, and give kegel a call.

They can probably point you to a service manual for your specific product that will outline the process step by step. Kegel is a very friendly company to work with, and will go out of their way to help you. I know this first hand, because they assisted in getting a pattern for a bowling center I was helping who still used a 6 pad DBA Xcel.

2 weeks after putting the pattern into the old DBA, the house had it's first 300 thrown in probably 10 years.
Kegel is the best source of that info.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
KWagner1977
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by KWagner1977 »

I have a handful of sport patterns for the Kegel/DBA Phoenix. Do you have a 6 or 8 pad machine? Do you have the 3 or 4 speed model.

I have some patters for the 3 and 4 speed machines. Mostly Kegel Navigation (the better choice of pattern), Old PBA letter patterns, NCAA Women's Patterns, and a couple of Long/Short competitive patterns.
dougsterner
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/4 RIGHT 1/2 UP
Speed: 17 off the hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Swagga
Medium Oil Ball: First Blood
Light Oil Ball: Grape Vibe/ Blue Hammer
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by dougsterner »

If you contact Gus or Terry at Kegel, they will help you out. Despite the fact that the Phoenix machine doesn't explicitly say so, it was manufactured by Kegel so they will be able to help.

Best of luck.
Doug Sterner
Doug's Pro Shop
Owego, NY

Proudly providing the southern tier of NY with the
best pro shop experience in the area.
jaydee

Post by jaydee »

He did contact Kegel and was able to obtain a shorter and some medium sport patterns, but they didn't send anything long. I think 42' was the longest.
KWagner1977 wrote:I have a handful of sport patterns for the Kegel/DBA Phoenix. Do you have a 6 or 8 pad machine? Do you have the 3 or 4 speed model.

I have some patters for the 3 and 4 speed machines. Mostly Kegel Navigation (the better choice of pattern), Old PBA letter patterns, NCAA Women's Patterns, and a couple of Long/Short competitive patterns.
Anything 43-44' for a 8 pad, 3 speed machine?
KWagner1977
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by KWagner1977 »

Do you have a fax number? I can send them that way or I will try to scan them with my scanner into an email. I got your PM and will get to you ASAP.

somebody else PMed me....Getting confused....
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

jaydee wrote:He did contact Kegel and was able to obtain a shorter and some medium sport patterns, but they didn't send anything long. I think 42' was the longest.
Anything 43-44' for a 8 pad, 3 speed machine?
Just extend the buff distance on the 42' patterns.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
jaydee

Post by jaydee »

Update. After contacting Kegel several times, they've updated the oil patterns for the Phoenix 8 pad, 4 speed machine, but not the 3 speed, which is the machine of interest. I have two questions.

1. Is there any easy way to translate the program from a 4 speed machine to a 3 speed machine? Changing the shift points,

2. How can I quantify what the oil pattern is going to look like, just by seeing the program numbers? I see Pad #7R, #8R and #1L and #2L always have the bulk of the oil. What do I make of all these numbers?

Below are examples of 8 Pad, 4 speed programs for reference. Thanks!

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... champs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... ttern4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaydee

Post by jaydee »

bump