Wrist Pain

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
RSicklerPBA
Preferred Company: No Preference

Wrist Pain

Post by RSicklerPBA »

I have been experiencing wrist pain throughout this season. I have never had a problem before. I went to the trainer at the college I bowl for and he said all of the tendons in my wrist are inflamed. He told me to bowl less. I decreased the volume of my practice sessions from about 40 games a week to about 8.

This season, I changed to no finger inserts. I drilled the holes a touch big because I use the vise nt50 finger tape, so it fits snug. I do not believe my grip pressure has been any different this season than seasons past, so grip pressure is not a likely cause for my wrist pain. However, I changed my mechanics completely over the summer, so it is possible I am doing something mechanically wrong that is causing my wrist pain. If you would like me to post a recent video, I can.

Will going back to finger inserts and/or adjusting pitch be helpful do you think? If so, what pitches do you recommend to relieve stress on the wrist?

Thanks for your help.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Wrist Pain

Post by kellytehuna »

The only causes I can think of for wrist pain (and I am NO expert as far as that goes) are excessive wrist cup and excessive grip pressure. I think a video would be VERY helpful in this case.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

RSicklerPBA wrote:I have been experiencing wrist pain throughout this season. I have never had a problem before. I went to the trainer at the college I bowl for and he said all of the tendons in my wrist are inflamed. He told me to bowl less. I decreased the volume of my practice sessions from about 40 games a week to about 8.

This season, I changed to no finger inserts. I drilled the holes a touch big because I use the vise nt50 finger tape, so it fits snug. I do not believe my grip pressure has been any different this season than seasons past, so grip pressure is not a likely cause for my wrist pain. However, I changed my mechanics completely over the summer, so it is possible I am doing something mechanically wrong that is causing my wrist pain. If you would like me to post a recent video, I can.

Will going back to finger inserts and/or adjusting pitch be helpful do you think? If so, what pitches do you recommend to relieve stress on the wrist?

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like your hand has changed and your old grip is causing excessive grip pressure (probably the old spans are too long). Go to the Wiki and do an accurate Wiki fit. Try that fit.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kwettig »

I'm having a similar issue. I don't really have pain but fatigue. I don't practice but once a week now and bowl 3 leagues but most league nights I start off fine and by the third game I feel like I have no strength in my hand. I may be gripping too much, but far less than I was last year, when I practiced 40 games a week with the 3 nights of league. I'm trying to change my release and it kind of feels like I'm just starting to learn to hook the ball. Maybe your release is so drastically different that your tendons and muscles in your hand are being used so differently that it causes pain.
Kyle Wettig
IBPSIA Adv. Certified Tech.
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI