Ball Damage From Ball Return

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Ball Damage From Ball Return

Post by soupy1957 »

My Storm Match Up ball, was thrown down the lane the other day, and came back with a giant chunk out of it by the thumbhole.

So I making an assumption that the mechanism that resets the pins and returns the balls, damaged it.

I guess that makes me curious how many of you have had damage to your balls, because of the machines at the bowling alley?

What is reasonable liability, in terms of having the ball repaired at no cost by the alley. Particularly if you bought it there and had it drilled out there?

It makes me wonder how much of a chronic problem this is. because I frankly don’t want to have it happen every six months!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Ball Damage From Ball Return

Post by JohnP »

If you present the ball with this type of damage to center management immediately most centers will arrange repair at no cost. If you leave the center and come back later they will not accept responsibility since anything could have happened to be ball while it was away. However, some centers have a strict policy of not doing any repairs for free on the basis that damage to balls is a part of the risk you take by bowling. -- JohnP
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

soupy1957 wrote: I guess that makes me curious how many of you have had damage to your balls, because of the machines at the bowling alley?

What is reasonable liability, in terms of having the ball repaired at no cost by the alley. Particularly if you bought it there and had it drilled out there?
One of our local centers was notorious for this, and they regularly repaired large divots for free. Other centers this is very infrequent, and I've never see anything beyond small scratches (normal wear and tear).

As JohnP described, the best strategy is to it raise to the attention of staff immediately. The pro shop might be willing to help you out, but it's hard to hold them accountable for damage from lane machines that they have no control over. However, they might have a deal with the center to handle these things.

From my own perspective, if it isn't in the track or causing problems with my grip - I may mention it, but opt to just leave it alone. How big is your missing chunk and how close to the thumbhole?

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

I brought it to the attention of the Alley owner immediately, after the ball came back, and they said they would “plug and redrill” the thumb hole. I had to leave it there however, because the Pro Shop was closed, and they were up against a holiday weekend. Presumably it was fixed as of last night, but I won’t be able to get over there until after work tonight.

The chunk that came out, was irregular, and right along the thumbhole edge, about half an inch long, and a pencil thickness deep. If the repair work is not to my liking, I will ask them to replace the ball.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Lol, good luck with that. The plug should be fine, don’t leave until you’re happy with it (bevel, fit etc.)
Stacy
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

We see about 3-5 balls per month with significant damage from the ball returns, and virtually all of them are reactives. They are repaired, or replaced if necessary, at no charge to the customer.

Personally, I would never leave a $200.00 ball with the front desk for a free repair job. Ball maintenance and repairs are part of the cost of owning a bowling ball.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

With regard to leaving the ball at the front desk…

This family that owns this alley, I consider to be reputable, and I deal directly with the owner and his son. So for me, I have no issue with leaving the ball there. It is an alley that I frequent so it’s not like it’s just a one time deal.

To be honest, I’ve believed that balls will get dings, but I didn’t expect it to chip out to the degree that it did.