Quick Question

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
cedridric
Preferred Company: Storm

Quick Question

Post by cedridric »

I'm trying to find a coach in the Des Moines area that teaches Shift Bowl Technique. If anyone could throw out a name, and phone number that would be greatly appreciated.
Speed: 15.9 - 16.5 on the monitor
Tilt: 30 degree's
Pap: 3 1/4" over By 3/4”Down
Rev rate: Unknown, Slightly Speed Dominant
Axis Rotation: Unknown
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Quick Question

Post by Mo Pinel »

cedridric wrote:I'm trying to find a coach in the Des Moines area that teaches Shift Bowl Technique. If anyone could throw out a name, and phone number that would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure, but I'd start with Jason Guest and tell him to check out the video in the Wiki, or check with me. Andy, at his shop, should also be able to help.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
BCP27
Speed: 13 on monitor
Heavy Oil Ball: Hopefully a Raptor P7 or a DestroyR soon
Medium Oil Ball: 2furious, I don't have any other balls right now
Light Oil Ball: my ol' Tropical Storm.
Preferred Company: Unknown

Post by BCP27 »

Somewhat on topic thing I just noticed today. I think I've been shift bowling with my 4 step approach without knowing what it was. The first "step" is just shifting the weight to my right foot, followed by the normal 4 step approach.

Not really on topic, but still interesting to note, I just wanted to share is all.
cedridric

Post by cedridric »

I appreciate it Mo. I will get in touch with Jason tonight at some point to see if he can offer any suggestions. I'm looking to completely overhaul how I bowl. I'm a big guy, and recently saw my first video of me bowling... Which I can only describe as a duck waddle approach with a heavy loft who leaves stone 10's like its the in thing.
cedridric

Post by cedridric »

Just an update I got a hold of him this morning, and I start coaching with him on Monday :) Thanks for all the help Mo. Are you ever in the midwest?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

cedridric wrote:Just an update I got a hold of him this morning, and I start coaching with him on Monday :) Thanks for all the help Mo. Are you ever in the midwest?
Jason will know when.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
cedridric

Post by cedridric »

So I need to thank you Mo. I had my first coaching lesson yesterday. It was fun made a lot of progress, and got teased along the way :P All in good fun though. We've managed to fix my forearm issue within 3 games. I've also naturally lost my deathgrip by the end of the practice session. The issue was my timing. When I would go to slide I would still be at the top of my swing while cupping the ball so I was getting alot of leverage, and forced to grip the ball to keep it under control.

I found once I changed my approach over to a 5 step using the shift bowl my timing got better, and my grip naturally relaxed. My timing is still alittle off, but I went from throwing the ball between 13.5, and 14 mp/h *lane camera* and having to play very deep early to get the ball back to the pocket. To moving completely right throwing down and in with a ball speed between 16.2, and 17.5. I go back next tuesday for another session, but go in Friday after work to continue to practice the technique. I'm still trying to get the swing started closer to the beginning of approach.

The teasing started when they found out how light of equipment I was using. I'm a big guy 5'10 300lbs, but i'm using 13lb equipment. Because of the previous grip, and approach anything heavier then that I had no control over. Now with the new approach i'll be looking into 14 possible 15lb equipment, and he also gave me the same talk about paying for the core that you guys talked with me about in a previous post. I have a very low track so he's working on the spec's for a ball i'll need (Pin/top/bottom weight) as with my freeze/nano they both have 4 inch pins, because that's how my previous driller buys all his balls.

I just wanted to update you, and thank you for getting me in contact with Jason. I finally feel like my game is moving in the right direction without injuries.