Board index » Mo & Friends » General Discussion


Forum rules


Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:36 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 141
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
So I know no one is a doctor or likely able to diagnose my issue but I thought someone may have some experience with a similar issue.

I thought that part of the problem COULD be that coming through my shot I have a slightly bent elbow? As you can maybe see in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1p_AdkcWk

Anyways first off the pain is located in my actual bicep muscle and is not anywhere else. Right above where the elbow bends and the bicep muscle starts is where my pain starts and when massaging the bicep muscle that is what hurts.

Elbow/ forearm / triceps / etc have no pain.

Bicep and Bicep Tendon area that basically connects it to the elbow are what hurt. I used to bowl as many games a day as I wanted to pain free. The past 2 months this has been a lingering problem. I have tried to address it with stretching etc.

Went to Reno and after my singles and doubles it was pretty bad. Took a week off an it felt fine went and bowled 4 games two days ago and it still hurts some.

I am assuming its a strain or pull or overuse injury. Anyone have any input? Also input on how long I should wait to bowl / what I can do to help it heal and prevent in future? Should I work it out some etc?

Any ideas would be great. I will likely have it checked by a doctor in the next month. Waiting to start a new job for health insurance etc.

Thanks :)

_________________
PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:59 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Online
Wiki Specialist
User avatar

Joined: February 4, 2011
Posts: 470
Location: Louisville, KY
Reputation: 25
Reputation Power: 1
I don't see anything pressing in your release, unless your slightly bent elbow is causing extra grip pressure which in turn caused a muscle strain. An bowling or just everyday lifting could be causing the strain to have not healed yet. Although I am no expert so see if anyone else has anything different to say.

I know that from baseball, a heavy day of throwing caused my bicep to hurt but that was usually healed after a day or two. So it doesn't sound like your bicep muscle is getting worn out, I would have to say its more than likely a strain or light tear even...

_________________
Kyle Robinson
Ball Speed - 17.5-18 off hand
Revs - 400 rpms
Tilt - 7
Rotation - 50


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 9450
Reputation: 539
Reputation Power: 6
trackbowler wrote:
I don't see anything pressing in your release, unless your slightly bent elbow is causing extra grip pressure which in turn caused a muscle strain. An bowling or just everyday lifting could be causing the strain to have not healed yet. Although I am no expert so see if anyone else has anything different to say.

I know that from baseball, a heavy day of throwing caused my bicep to hurt but that was usually healed after a day or two. So it doesn't sound like your bicep muscle is getting worn out, I would have to say its more than likely a strain or light tear even...



It's a strain. A grip change can probably give you relief. The side view doesn't look bad. Check your grip against the Wiki fit. And post both the Wiki fit and your current fit. I'll recommend a change. This will take time, but should not be difficult to solve.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:20 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Online
Wiki Specialist
User avatar

Joined: February 4, 2011
Posts: 470
Location: Louisville, KY
Reputation: 25
Reputation Power: 1
Mo thanks for the reply, BlackMagic is the one that hurt his bicep :lol:

But I'll be getting a fit from JohnP here in the next week or so an will possibly need a performance fit from you.

_________________
Kyle Robinson
Ball Speed - 17.5-18 off hand
Revs - 400 rpms
Tilt - 7
Rotation - 50


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:10 pm Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 141
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Took about 2 weeks off.... bowled 1 1/2 games yesterday. Started really slow and worked my way up.

Arm started to hurt really bad.

Today same pain in bicep. Think its time to go to the doctors :(

_________________
PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:03 am Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: July 16, 2010
Posts: 25
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Could be a bicep tendon tear...I'd see a doctor.
My brother had the same symptoms, 2 years ago....the bicep tendon finally tore, surgery was need to repair it.

I bowled with a friend today who had the same symptoms, his tendon tore, and he is now bowling right handed.
I'd see a doctor, and have it checked out....
Not trying to worry you.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:18 am Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts

Joined: February 13, 2011
Posts: 518
Location: pasco wa
Reputation: 45
Reputation Power: 1
See this post....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3080

_________________
Destroy R 50/4 /35
Defiant 55/3 1/4/40
Infinite theory 45/4/70
Too Reckless 60/3 3/8/30
Hyroad 60/4 1/2/70
Frantic 100/5 1/2/50
Karma Full Roller Layout
Original Nail


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 pm Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 1548
Location: Sun City Arizona
Reputation: 320
Reputation Power: 4
russelldean wrote:
See this post....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3080


Sage advice.

_________________
"There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading.
Encourage kids to read" - T.A. Sankar


John


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:53 am Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 1221
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 87
Reputation Power: 1
I feel your Pain, its one of those been there done that things for me.
I did not seek medical attention nor did I give myself the needed time off and just played through the pain, it was end of the season, city and state tournements, couldnt get myself to give them up. My game suffered as much as I did. Took the summer off and bought a 13# ball to start the next season. The tendon was feeling pretty good after about a month so I started using my 15# equiptment again and guess what, Reinjured it. All it took was one shot, wanted to get a little extra on it, ended up short arming it, elbow bent and retore the tendon OUCH!

Long story short almost 2 years before I got my game back without pain.

Would I do things differently, Hell yes. Take the time off and see a doctor.

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
65* rotation
15*-17* tilt
300-320 rev rate
17.5mph off hand


Last edited by EricHartwell on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:11 am Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: July 16, 2010
Posts: 25
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
I feel your Pain, its one of those been there done that things for me.
I did not seek medical attention nor did I give myself the needed time off and just played through the pain, it was end of the season, city and state tournements, couldnt get myself to give them up. My game suffered as much as I did. Took the summer off and bought a 13# ball to start the next season. The tendon was feeling pretty good after about a month so I started using my 15# equiptment again and guess what, Reinjured it. All it took was one shot, wanted to get a little extra on it, ended up short arming it, elbow bent, torn tendon OUCH! Long story short almost 2 years before I got my game back without pain.

Would I do things differently, Hell yes. Take the time off and see a doctor.


Great Advice.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:08 am Post Number: #11 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 141
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Yea I have come to the conclusion its not going to fix itself, or at least without some attention.

I will soon be seeking out the proper medical people to get it looked at. I think some of it comes from having a bit of a bent elbow and really unloading at the bottom of my swing. Who knows though.

I will keep everyone posted with what I find out in the future (wont see a doctor for a few weeks, until then just rest).

Thanks for all the advice....

_________________
PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:51 pm Post Number: #12 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 9450
Reputation: 539
Reputation Power: 6
BlakMagic wrote:
Yea I have come to the conclusion its not going to fix itself, or at least without some attention.

I will soon be seeking out the proper medical people to get it looked at. I think some of it comes from having a bit of a bent elbow and really unloading at the bottom of my swing. Who knows though.

I will keep everyone posted with what I find out in the future (wont see a doctor for a few weeks, until then just rest).

Thanks for all the advice....


I wish you the best of luck. Please make sure to do an accurate Wiki fit after you heal and before you return to bowling. Let's not re-aggravate the injury.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 pm Post Number: #13 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 141
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Well lets see.

Took a week off after injury, bowled, extreme pain again.

Took two weeks off, bowled 2 1/2 games - same thing.

Took 5 weeks off, saw an orthopedic doctor - was told it was a strain - start slow and work back into it. Bowled 1 1/2 games - sore as CRAP. Couldn't even lift iced tea out of fridge after bowling.

Took 3 weeks off, while seeing a sports chiropractor lots of weird massage stuff etc. Also lots of rehab exercises, not weight lifting just weird things to try and strengthen it etc.

Bowled 1 game today - pretty sore, definitely still messed up.

Frustration level pretty high. Especially working in a bowling center.

IF I figure anything out I will post it here!

_________________
PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 am Post Number: #14 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 9450
Reputation: 539
Reputation Power: 6
BlakMagic wrote:
Well lets see.

Took a week off after injury, bowled, extreme pain again.

Took two weeks off, bowled 2 1/2 games - same thing.

Took 5 weeks off, saw an orthopedic doctor - was told it was a strain - start slow and work back into it. Bowled 1 1/2 games - sore as CRAP. Couldn't even lift iced tea out of fridge after bowling.

Took 3 weeks off, while seeing a sports chiropractor lots of weird massage stuff etc. Also lots of rehab exercises, not weight lifting just weird things to try and strengthen it etc.

Bowled 1 game today - pretty sore, definitely still messed up.

Frustration level pretty high. Especially working in a bowling center.

IF I figure anything out I will post it here!


Please do! It sounds complex. Could it be a bicep tear? It might take an MRI to find it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicep Pain
 Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:55 am Post Number: #15 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 141
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Mo,

Not really sure. Certainly could be. The only thing that aggravates it is bowling. Almost feels similar to hyper-extending your arm, at least the aftermath pain and inability to straighten arm.

I spent some time massaging it tonight, and it really isn't that bad right now. Just feels pretty weak.

Usually 2-4 days after bowling I feel fine and can work out, etc with no pain. Im 25, in pretty good shape - man is it frustrating. Especially being closer to some regionals etc.

I think what caused it is partially from my style. Down swing and close to my hip my elbow and arm are bent some and collapse at the bottom of my swing. I know this isn't abnormal among high-rev players, but I am sure it at least attributed to it. May take some time to try and relax that some.

Also contemplating some sort of compression sleeve or something.

Hopefully I figure something out - not very good right handed :lol:

Edit::

Sounds like Bicep Tendonitis, when googleing that I found this:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00026

My shoulder has been bothering me starting about same time as bicep, and it pops like every day. Today I bowled 1 game, and it feels like I just did 5 sets of 30lb curls.

_________________
PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » Mo & Friends » General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arkansas, pridgeonk and 7 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: