Fairly New Bowler Needing a Good Fitter/Ball

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
sabman

Fairly New Bowler Needing a Good Fitter/Ball

Post by sabman »

I need help finding a good fitter preferably using Morich Fitting. I live in SW Michigan (Kalamazoo Area). I've been to local pro shops but they don't seem to give attention to detail to fit I'm looking for. They drilled my first ball (a used Storm Street Rod) with a little too short a span and too big a thumb hole that caused me to squeeze. At another place, I got the thumb hole fixed to increase span and have a snug fit, but then my thumb wouldn't come out at all, so I got hole enlarged again. After some research I found this site/wiki fit and measured my span to approximately 4 5/8" with average flexibility so I'm assuming reverse pitch is what I needed instead of a bigger hole. So, you see why I prefer somebody who will take all needed measurements and give me a correct fit. I'm willing take a road trip to a good fitter if needed.

I'm probably also going to be purchasing my second ball (first new ball) as well. The local house I play at told me they use a 42ft THS with 30 units of oil. It seems to be too oily for my Street Rod, which easily goes long and seems to perform much better at another location nearby tends to have drier conditions. I am looking for a good versatile ball that can handle a wide variety of lane conditions. Another criteria is something that gives me a little more room for error at the breakpoint and still find the pocket.

Sorry I can't give too much specs, but I know my ball speed usually averages about 17 MPH. Don't know my revs, but I am surely speed dominant. I have a high track that gets close to the thumb hole. Hope this info helps a bit and appreciate any replys.

*edit* Forgot to mention, I've been bowling since October and have about a 165 Avg (trending upward as I get more experience :) ).
Last edited by sabman on February 10th, 2011, 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jakester
THS Average: 220
Heavy Oil Ball: Craze/Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Craze/Mania
Light Oil Ball: usually change release
Preferred Company: MORICH

Re: Fairly New Bowler Needing a Good Fitter/Ball

Post by jakester »

One thing you can do is go to a couple of league nights and ask the better bowlers where they get their equipment drilled, most guys will be happy to tell you.
Personally I would say don't use an internet driller, but that's me.:mrgreen:
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

copied from Mo's original postings at another website, post #54...

http://www.bowlingballexchange.com/show ... 683&page=2
Re: Meet Mo Pinel, President of MoRich Bowling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvellenga View Post
I have a general question for Mr. Pinel. My question basically is how can someone get with you and have you lay out their equipment for them. If I wanted you to work on my equipment is that something that can happen? Do you travel around and help people with their layouts and drillings? Do you personally still drill for the "common man" or are you too busy running your company? I am not quite sure how to ask this question other that I want Mo Pinel to drill up my gear! LOL! If you personally dont drill for people anymore do you have someone in Michigan that you could recommend that totally understands your teachings?

Now that we've cleaned up the post and removed the marketing for Brand X, I'd love to answer your post.

People who know me know I fit for all kinds of customers. I'd rather drill for the "common man" because that person BUYS bowling balls and is not looking for a "hand out".

Check the http://www.morichbowling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website. It usually posts my pro shop appearances and get it touch with the pro shop I'm visiting and they'll set up an appointment.

I may be in Michigan in January. There are plenty of competent ball drillers in Michigan. Off the top of my head, here are a few highly recommended ball drillers:

* Dave Spohn @ Mr. Ks Pro Shop in Royal Scot Lanes, Lansing, MI
* Ron Machniak @ Right Approach Pro Shop in Merribowl Lanes, Livonia, MI
* Lou Marquez @ Turbo Grips Training Center, Chesterfield, MI
* Don Crane @ Lakeview Lanes, Douglas, MI
* Bob Hutchings @ Marshall Lanes, Marshall, MI

You can check with IBPSIA to find someone in MI that has taken the Advanced IBPSIA HOTS Certification class and they are qualified. Sean Klug who is an owner of Di Laura Bros., Detroit, MI is as good a ball driller that there ever was, but he's probably hard to get to. There are many more, but these come to mind quickly.

Please make sure you tell the guy that you are interested in a MoRich arsenal and I recommended him if you use any of these guys.

By he way, I travel more than you can imagine, but the world is a BIG place!
I am a couple hours away from you, but would be glad to help.
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
sabman

Post by sabman »

Thanks, that's really helpful. I may have to make the trip out there. I go to the area from time to time. I feel like it's most important for me to get a good comfortable fit now while I still developing my game.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

sabman wrote:I need help finding a good fitter preferably using Morich Fitting. I live in SW Michigan (Near Kalamazoo). I've been to local pro shops but they don't seem to give attention to detail to fit I'm looking for. They drilled my first ball (a used Storm Street Rod) with a little too short a span and too big a thumb hole that caused me to squeeze. At another place, I got the thumb hole fixed to increase span and have a snug fit, but then my thumb wouldn't come out at all, so I got hole enlarged again. After some research I found this site/wiki fit and measured my span to approximately 4 5/8" with average flexibility so I'm assuming reverse pitch is what I needed instead of a bigger hole. So, you see why I prefer somebody who will take all needed measurements and give me a correct fit. I'm willing take a road trip to a good fitter if needed.

I'm probably also going to be purchasing my second ball (first new ball) as well. The local house I play at told me they use a 42ft THS with 30 units of oil. It seems to be too oily for my used Storm Street Rod, which seems to perform much better at another location nearby tends to have drier conditions. I was looking at something like the Storm Hy-Road because I heard it was a good versatile ball that can handle a wide variety of lane conditions. Will it be enough for the conditions I mentioned above? Another criteria is something that gives me a little more room for error at the breakpoint and still find the pocket.

Sorry I can't give too much specs, but I know my ball speed usually averages about 17 MPH. Don't know my revs, but I am surely speed dominant. I have a high track that gets close to the thumb hole. Hope this info helps a bit and appreciate any replys.

*edit* Forgot to mention, I've been bowling since October and have about a 165 Avg (trending upward as I get more experience :) ).
Call DiLaura Bros. bowling distributor in Detroit. Ask for Charlie Tapp's cell phone number. He is the Western MI rep. for DiLaura. Call Charlie, who lives in Kalamazoo and ask him who to see. He's a PBA Champion, which doesn't always mean that the guy can fit. But in this case he CAN! I've worked a lot with him. He's good and seeks advice when he needs it. He'll steer you in the right direction. He posts here as Tappster. You can PM him, if you'd like.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)