Mo, What's going on with the Mass Bias?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
MoRichBowler300
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 x 7/8 up
Speed: 16 at 40 ft
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Guru Master
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Jackpot Solid
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Mo, What's going on with the Mass Bias?

Post by MoRichBowler300 »

I don't have a determinator and I very frequently use the gradient balance hole method. My question is, after the ball is drilled, is the gradient balance hole method based off of the original MB or the new MB? I have heard that the MB tends to migrate towards the thumbhole and sometimes is the thumbhole itself. If someone needs a P4 hole, should I drill out the original MB indicator or assume that the thumbhole is the P4 hole and base the 3 other equidistant balance holes off of the distance between the thumbhole and the bowler's PAP? It seems like the only constant in a drilled ball is the bowler's initial PAP, which is the P1 balance hole location. How do I find the P2, P3 and P4 location with out a determinator, or does it really make much difference?
www.nicksproshop.com
Guru Master 65 x 4 x 30 DBL thumb
Fix 70 x 4 1/2 x 40 p3
Jackpot Solid 60 x 3 1/2 x 55 p2.5 hole
Rave On 75 x 4 x 50
Rack Attack Pearl 90 x 4.5 x 70
BTU Pearl 125 x 2 1/4 x 45
Tilt: 14°
Rot: 60°
PAP 4 7/8 x 7/8
Hi Gm 300x5
Hi Srs 793
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Mo, What's going on with the Mass Bias?

Post by Nsane »

So far i have understood by reading several Postings in this awesome Forum. The PSA allways moves after Drilling.
Its not possible to say where exactly the post drill PSA is without using the DeTerminator. Everything else will be a shoot in the Dark. A possible alternate:
drill a P 3 1/2. Or much better, look for a ProShop with a DeTerminator or get one.
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

MoRichBowler300 wrote:I don't have a determinator and I very frequently use the gradient balance hole method. My question is, after the ball is drilled, is the gradient balance hole method based off of the original MB or the new MB? I have heard that the MB tends to migrate towards the thumbhole and sometimes is the thumbhole itself. If someone needs a P4 hole, should I drill out the original MB indicator or assume that the thumbhole is the P4 hole and base the 3 other equidistant balance holes off of the distance between the thumbhole and the bowler's PAP? It seems like the only constant in a drilled ball is the bowler's initial PAP, which is the P1 balance hole location. How do I find the P2, P3 and P4 location with out a determinator, or does it really make much difference?
On symmetricals, use the thumb hole to approximate the PSA. On asymmetricals, use the marked PSA. That means that there is no P4 on symmetricals because it's the thumb hole. Those are my suggestions.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Post by Adrenaline »

Mo Pinel wrote: On symmetricals, use the thumb hole to approximate the PSA. On asymmetricals, use the marked PSA. That means that there is no P4 on symmetricals because it's the thumb hole. Those are my suggestions.
Pre-emptive, but I assume you're going to ask.
People who desire a P4 on symmetrical balls, you should use the 3.5 location. .5" to the right of the thumb.