PAP and Dual Layouts

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
toscodav

PAP and Dual Layouts

Post by toscodav »

Hello. I am trying to wrap my head around the science of bowling ball layouts and there effect on the ball. One thing that confuses me is how my Natural PAP is used to drill a new ball. I have been studying the dual angle layouts. From what I understand, the pin to PAP determines the amount of flare. If I am starting out with a new ball and I am using the dual angle system, how do i determine where the midline (line perpendicular to the middle of my finger holes) goes in relation to the PAP? Since a new ball doesn't have holes yet, not sure how you would determine this. Do I need to know my natural unique PAP location when laying out a new Ball?
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: PAP and Dual Layouts

Post by bowl1820 »

toscodav wrote: If I am starting out with a new ball and I am using the dual angle system, how do i determine where the midline (line perpendicular to the middle of my finger holes) goes in relation to the PAP?
Since a new ball doesn't have holes yet, not sure how you would determine this. Do I need to know my natural unique PAP location when laying out a new Ball?
Yes you need to know your unique PAP location when laying out a new Ball.

Basically what your asking is how do you map the layout onto the ball.

This is a basic example of how you layout a ball using a Dual Angle layout.
Tools used a Pro-Sect Quarter Scale and grease pencil.

The Layout used is 45° X 3" X 30°
P.A.P. Location: 4 3/4" Horiz. 1" up Vertical (AKA: 4 3/4"> 1"^)
(The layout will look slightly different actually on a ball, this is just to show the differing parts of the layout.)

1-On the ball Draw a reference line from Pin to Mass Bias (If there is no mass bias (MB), you draw a line from the pin through the CG and then make a mark on that line 6 3/4" from the Pin use that as a virtual MB.

2-Draw a line at a 45 degree angle to the reference line from the Pin.

3-Now on that line measure 3" from the pin and mark that spot, that's the PAP

4-Next draw a line at a 30 degree angle to the Pin to PAP line, this is the VAL. (Vertical Axis Line)

Now we are going to project the PAP measurements back from the PAP to the center of your grip to locate your grip.

5- From the PAP measure down 1" on the Vertical Axis Line.

6- Draw a perpendicular line from that point (That's the called the Midline, it's A line that's 90 deg. to the VAL)

7- Now measure over 4 3/4" from the VAL and make a mark. That's where the center line of your grip is.

here's the ProSect User Guide it show the procedure with pictures.
ProSectUserGuide.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
toscodav

Post by toscodav »

Thank you.
Good Stuff.
What Bowling needs is a bowling simulator where you put in all the variables like ball speed,weight, axis, oil conditions etc. and it can show you the path your ball would take. I wonder the the USBC has looked into this.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

toscodav wrote:Thank you.
Good Stuff.
What Bowling needs is a bowling simulator where you put in all the variables like ball speed,weight, axis, oil conditions etc. and it can show you the path your ball would take. I wonder the the USBC has looked into this.
http://blueprintbowling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

toscodav wrote:Thank you.
Good Stuff.
They've had that for years
As JMerrell posted theres the Blueprint software, which you can download a free trial of.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."