Negative Tilt

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Negative Tilt

Post by deanchamp »

This is something I've been thinking about a bit lately, and am curious if anyone knows the answer.

If a ball is bowled with negative tilt, say -5 degrees, does it stay at -5 the whole way down the lane, does it get more negative, or does it want to get back to 0 degrees, like a ball that burns off positive tilt except it is burning off negative tilt?

And is there any real detriment to negative tilt in terms of how the core functions/ flares?

It looks as if Jesper fires his urerthanes down the lane with negative tilt at times and it doesn't seem to affect his hitting power.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Re: Negative Tilt

Post by JJakobsen »

I get negative tilt on bad shots (my release goes to the left, when I pull, it goes more to the left, creating negative tilt), and I guess it straightens up like regular positive axis tilt does. Haven't thought of it, but it makes sense.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

deanchamp wrote:This is something I've been thinking about a bit lately, and am curious if anyone knows the answer.

If a ball is bowled with negative tilt, say -5 degrees, does it stay at -5 the whole way down the lane, does it get more negative, or does it want to get back to 0 degrees, like a ball that burns off positive tilt except it is burning off negative tilt?

And is there any real detriment to negative tilt in terms of how the core functions/ flares?

It looks as if Jesper fires his urerthanes down the lane with negative tilt at times and it doesn't seem to affect his hitting power.
Burns the negative tilt as it tries to go into a roll.
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

deanchamp wrote:And is there any real detriment to negative tilt in terms of how the core functions/ flares?
As long as the ball is drilled so the flares don't go over the finger holes there is no detriment. The problem comes with a "normal" looking layout with the pin by the fingers and the flare getting pulled back to the holes (thump, thump, thump). I know a couple of guys that are half thumbers and roll with neg. tilt and destroy the pins. High speed and high rev rates.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Not all bowlers who have negative tilt track on the "wrong" side of the fingers/thumb.
I have seem several now that track "normal" and are flare safe for "normal" layouts.
These bowlers are pretty much all higher rev rate, high speed bowlers that generate alot of pin action.

While I do not envy the negative tilt release, I do admire the pin action that is the result. The ball deflects/continues differently. In my opinion Negative tilt results in more continuation, less deflection as the ball travels through the pins.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand