Lane Play Advice Needed

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
duvallite

Lane Play Advice Needed

Post by duvallite »

I need some advice on how to play the lanes when my preferred line has dried up (usually late 2nd game or early third game), and because most everyone else has been playing inside of me, I'm usually left with nowhere to go, and my 3rd game scores suffer. As an example, last night I went 230+, 250+, 160, and the previous week it was 214, 230+, 162.

I primarily play a stroker shot going straight up either 4,5, or 6, and depending on the lanes, I can move in to around 12-13 and swing the ball out if the lanes allow it, though I'm not real comfortable and consistent doing this. My ball speed is appx 13.2-14.2 on the monitors, and my revs are matched or I'm slightly speed dominate. I usually start out with a Storm Sync (pin-up w/P3, 500-4000) and can use it for all 3 games if I have playable area. Otherwise I have another Sync with a smaller VAL angle and a hole down on the VAL and a Storm 2Fast (pin up and at OOB) available. For my style, how can I improve my 3rd game scores when it gets too dry for me? Any suggestions?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Lane Play Advice Needed

Post by EricHartwell »

I would ball down to the 2Fast for the 3rd game. Utilizing your own burned line as your bumper to the outside. I know its tough to give up on what was working but as you already know the Sync is too much ball in the 3rd game.
Utilize your fill ball in the 10th frame in the 2nd game to get yourself lined up for the 3rd.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
duvallite

Post by duvallite »

Thanks Eric. You're absolutely right about being reluctant to switch balls from what was working. I always seem to think I can make it work still. Just end up wasting frames. I'll just have to make the commitment to the 2Fast and see what happens tomorrow night. I'll give it a shot. Can't do much worse, lol.
soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by soupy1957 »

duvallite wrote:I need some advice on how to play the lanes when my preferred line has dried up..........Any suggestions?
Two pieces of advice I typically get, either relate to moving to a different approach line on the lane, or using (switching to) a different ball that responds well to a drier lane.

I’ve employed both bits of advice.

It makes me wonder however, if being ambedextrice would help?! I have YET to see a competition-grade bowler pull THAT one out of their preverbial hat!!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Your average/handicap is established with one hand, even if you use 2 hand swing. So they’d be disqualified if they switched.
Stacy
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

The modern game is about friction, when your line dries there are many adjustments or combinations of adjustments you can do to reduce friction:

-More ball speed
-More axis tilt
-More axis rotation
-Less rpms
-More loft
-Move in to look for more oil
-Change balls

These will all depend on the situation at hand and will have other consequences besides reducing friction.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

What Tony said. A handy mnemonic is LASER - not necessarily in this order...

Loft
Angle
Speed
Equipment
Release (ie. tilt/rotation/revs)

I tend to play game 3 too conservative, but I'm very consistent from game to game. I also like to think I can out bowl a bad reaction, but I am wrong. Sometimes the small moves and adjustments just won't cut it.

Eric is right on - find a ball down from the Sync that you can trust and use it for your fill ball in game 2. If you're unable to make a big zone jump, then the weaker ball is the best bet.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

44boyd wrote:Your average/handicap is established with one hand, even if you use 2 hand swing. So they’d be disqualified if they switched.

For real? Even in Baseball, you can switch when batting!!
Suppose someone “qualified” with both??
kart300

Post by kart300 »

You can establish an average for each hand, you just can't use it in the same game. Effectively each hand is a different bowler for the scoresheets.
Revs ~350 Tilt ~16* Speed 17-18 off the hand Rotation 30-75
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

soupy1957 wrote:

For real? Even in Baseball, you can switch when batting!!
Suppose someone “qualified” with both??
Well if that’s the case, I think we should lobby the powers that be, and allow for switch-hand bowling. Hey, what the heck; we’re already allowing for two-handed throws!!

I’m waiting for the Bowler that comes along and throws the bowling ball over his head like Pitchin a softball, and makes it land right in front of the pins to knock them all down!!
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

A two handed bowler is not allowed to release the ball with two hands, we keep it on the ball throughout the swing and take it off the ball just before release effectively releasing the ball with our dominant hand. There is nothing wrong or unfair with the two handed “approach”, many people incorrectly call it a two handed “delivery”, don’t believe me, try it and see if you can be accurate and generate enough speed. Two handed bowling is not easy.

As for changing USBC rules I suggest you first read them and if you wish to try to change one, get enough signatures and write an objective paper about why you and the others who signed it wish for the rule to be changed and then mail it to USBC.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
flibblesh

Post by flibblesh »

soupy1957 wrote:I’m waiting for the Bowler that comes along and throws the bowling ball over his head like Pitchin a softball, and makes it land right in front of the pins to knock them all down!!
Hey, you did read my post! :D
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

You mention your move at the arrows, but you still want to "throw it out." Have you considered moving left with your feet and your eyes, as well as your breakpoint? I think that you will find that when everyone else is still trying to throw it out to eight board, there is still plenty of oil at eleven at a the end of the pattern. Try it. I think you'll like it!
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

RobMautner wrote:You mention your move at the arrows, but you still want to "throw it out." Have you considered moving left with your feet and your eyes, as well as your breakpoint? I think that you will find that when everyone else is still trying to throw it out to eight board, there is still plenty of oil at eleven at a the end of the pattern. Try it. I think you'll like it!
Last night when the wife and I went bowling, I decided to move to the most extreme left dot, and still throw for the five board arrow. I had some interesting results that were somewhat positive, but it still shook me a little bit.

Typically I’ve been starting off with my left foot at the center dot, and only moving a couple of boards left. So this was a radical departure for me. My score jumped 20 pins, and for the first time I got a really decent hook from the Hot Cell! It was an epiphany moment for me.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

soupy1957 wrote:
Last night when the wife and I went bowling, I decided to move to the most extreme left dot, and still throw for the five board arrow. I had some interesting results that were somewhat positive, but it still shook me a little bit.

Typically I’ve been starting off with my left foot at the center dot, and only moving a couple of boards left. So this was a radical departure for me. My score jumped 20 pins, and for the first time I got a really decent hook from the Hot Cell! It was an epiphany moment for me.
WOW I'll say you got some decent hook from the Hot Cell!! if the ball didn't go right in the gutter playing that line.
path 0x.png
Assuming you have 7 dots on the approach, the last dot on the left would be 35, so your laydown point is about the 28 board. Shooting for first arrow wouldn't make any sense.

So Unless your drifting way back right the ball would have been headed for the gutter.

Now if the lanes were as old as the hills and you only have 3 dots the far left dot would be 25. You'd still be headed for the gutter, trying to shoot first arrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

Well I can’t say that I got good results on every throw, but I also can’t say that I actually hit the second arrow either.

Reason I even tried to go to the extreme left was because I had seen a bunch of videos where the boiler was demonstrating different balls, and it seemed like they were throwing fromthe extreme left in every shot. So I thought I would try that and it seems to work better than standing with my left toe on the center dot; so I probably will try to stay to the left as much as possible for my particular brand of bowling. At some point I’ll get the handle on it and learn how to control it. I did end up in the gutter on a few shots by the way.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Last night when the wife and I went bowling, I decided to move to the most extreme left dot, and still throw for the five board arrow.
soupy1957 wrote:Well I can’t say that I got good results on every throw, but I also can’t say that I actually hit the second arrow either.
If you were actually aiming at the five board arrow(which is first arrow) as you said above. Then I wouldn't think you would hit the second arrow (the 10 board arrow).

Now if you meant second arrow in your other post, you still would have to be drifting way back right. Going for the 2nd arrow.

You might want to study this diagram to learn the lane markings
Bowling Lane.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

bowl1820 wrote:

If you were actually aiming at the five board arrow(which is first arrow) as you said above. Then I wouldn't think you would hit the second arrow (the 10 board arrow).

Now if you meant second arrow in your other post, you still would have to be drifting way back right. Going for the 2nd arrow.

You might want to study this diagram to learn the lane markings
Bowling Lane.jpg
You are absolutely right. I was wrong. My “bad”