Finding PAP-with what type of ball?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Freedom1955
Preferred Company: Storm

Finding PAP-with what type of ball?

Post by Freedom1955 »

When I roll a plastic or urethane bowling ball my track is very high but when I throw a resin ball the track gets a lot lower. So my pap would vary with each type of ball correct?
Which type of ball should I use to find my pap? Resin or plastic or urethane?
I've been told to use the track on my plastic spare ball to find my pap but that does not make sense to me when my track changes when using resin balls.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Finding PAP-with what type of ball?

Post by MegaMav »

Freedom1955 wrote:When I roll a plastic or urethane bowling ball my track is very high but when I throw a resin ball the track gets a lot lower. So my pap would vary with each type of ball correct?
Which type of ball should I use to find my pap? Resin or plastic or urethane?
I've been told to use the track on my plastic spare ball to find my pap but that does not make sense to me when my track changes when using resin balls.
If you use resin on the first ball, use a resin ball to get your PAP.
Better yet, do it on 3 resin balls and average the PAP of the 3 balls.
Depending upon core shape and where the core sits in your hand, your PAP will vary.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

When you locate your PAP be sure to mark the location with a piece of white tape and have someone watch when you throw a few shots. If you've got the correct location the tape will look like a white dot when you release the ball. It's fairly easy to miss the first few track rings and base the PAP on a later flare ring. -- JohnP
Freedom1955

Post by Freedom1955 »

MegaMav wrote:
If you use resin on the first ball, use a resin ball to get your PAP.
Better yet, do it on 3 resin balls and average the PAP of the 3 balls.
Depending upon core shape and where the core sits in your hand, your PAP will vary.
I didn't want to here that. In fact if you are correct I'm going to vomit as all of my current arsenals layouts are based on my pap derived from my plastic spare ball.
Last edited by Freedom1955 on February 10th, 2018, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom1955

Post by Freedom1955 »

JohnP wrote:When you locate your PAP be sure to mark the location with a piece of white tape and have someone watch when you throw a few shots. If you've got the correct location the tape will look like a white dot when you release the ball. It's fairly easy to miss the first few track rings and base the PAP on a later flare ring. -- JohnP
Thanks John I will try that.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Non bowling related comment.
Freedom1955, nice ring to that name!
Freedom Charter 1955 ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

I prefer to get the initial PAP from a ball with very low track flare, sanded to 500.
BTW, I have yet to see a bowler with a track variation that acually changed from high to low with different ball designs. ("high" being a large track, and "low" being a smaller track)
The likely cause of the track shift is either due to early flare creating a false initial PAP, or differences in the gripping holes and span causing you to release the ball differently.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

If a customer has both a resin ball and a plastic ball drilled with the same fits I locate the PAP on the plastic ball, then check the location on the resin ball. The two locations are very seldom very different and it's a lot easier to see the tape on a non-flaring ball. -- JohnP
Freedom1955

Post by Freedom1955 »

snick wrote:I prefer to get the initial PAP from a ball with very low track flare, sanded to 500.
BTW, I have yet to see a bowler with a track variation that acually changed from high to low with different ball designs. ("high" being a large track, and "low" being a smaller track)
The likely cause of the track shift is either due to early flare creating a false initial PAP, or differences in the gripping holes and span causing you to release the ball differently.
When I throw plastic or urethane my track is very high, on my plastic ball the initial track is about 1/4" from my middle finger hole and nearly touches my thumb hole. When I throw reactive resin my track is 2" from my middle finger and about the same from my thumb. Span,pitches same.
I can provide pictures of the balls and their track rings.
I'm going to have to try putting a piece of tape on my pap (acquired from my plastic ball) on one of my resin balls.
My pap is 5-3/16" over and 3/4" up.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Be sure to have someone watch when you throw it. The tape will only appear stationary for a very short time on a flaring ball. The best way is to video it and watch in slow motion. -- John P
Freedom1955

Post by Freedom1955 »

Here is an email I received fro Mo Pinel:

Mark,

You are correct. Due to the less dynamic nature of cores in plastic and urethane cores, they have a different PAP. Usually about 3/4" further away from rhe center of your grip. The gyroscopic nature of modern cores causes the difference. Use the PAP consistent with the type of ball you are drilling. This are minor variances in resin balls, but I use an average of the resin balls.

Thanks,
Mo Pinel
toscodav

Post by toscodav »

snick wrote:I prefer to get the initial PAP from a ball with very low track flare, sanded to 500.

If I am buying a new ball, how do I determine the PAP before the holes are drilled? Don't you have to throw the ball to determine my Unique Pap.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

toscodav wrote:

If I am buying a new ball, how do I determine the PAP before the holes are drilled? Don't you have to throw the ball to determine my Unique Pap.
IF you are just starting out or changing from a conventional grip to a fingertip, then the PSO will most likely will just use a generic PAP location. Example: 5"over 1" up.

Then after you've bowled a while and developed a stable PAP of your own, then you'll measure it's location and use that for later drillings.

Now if you've been bowling with a fingertip for a while already then they can get the PAP location from it instead.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

When I deal with a customer who's getting a first ball I try to find a ball on the racks that fits him well enough to identify the PAP location. Sometimes I can let him use one of my balls. Same goes with the swap from conventional grip to fingertip except that if I can't find a fingertip ball he can use I have him use the conventional ball he has and only insert his fingers to the first joint. Anything measured is better than a guess. -- JohnP