In need of pressional opinion. Thumb joint is in pain!

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
TheoRocker247
Preferred Company: Ebonite Bowling

In need of pressional opinion. Thumb joint is in pain!

Post by TheoRocker247 »

Hey guys!

So, previously I had some issues with my swing and timing which I eventually got fixed thanks to some awesome members on here giving me tips. But, not going to lie, my hand and wrist have had excruciating pain for a long time because I haven't found the right driller. Now, my thumb joint and bottom arm (medial areas) is getting torn up bad (tendons and inflamed muscles). My span and fitting doesn't feel right I'm at 4 9/16 middle 4 3/4 ring with 1/4 FORWARD THUMB, 1/2 reverse middle and 1/4 reverse in the ring. My driller never uses any sort of reverse what so ever and doesn't believe in using reverse in drilling. My hand is always locked in the ball and the fittings are not great at all and I've told them that but he doesn't listen. I find it funny that I can throw my friends ball who has a slightly shorter span than me with 1/4 reverse in his thumb and you can't even hear the ball touch and I get great revs and no pain... I need advice from Mo Pinel on here or where I can find a driller that has Mo's expertise. I live in New York. Please help! I'm sick of the pain and giving into drillers.

Theo
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: In need of pressional opinion. Thumb joint is in pain!

Post by JohnP »

You need to find a new driller, maybe some folks can suggest a good one in your area. To check your fit yourself, go to the link below. First review the information on this page, then download the fitting instructions .pdf found under the red A (for Adobe) and follow them. If you can post a picture of your grip with your thumb in its hole and your fingers laying comfortably (not stretched) over their holes with the location of the center between the two joints marked with a Sharpie we can give some general suggestions, but it's really difficult without being able to observe the hand in person. -- JohnP

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... itting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheMilkMan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 221
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/8" X 0
Speed: 16.5-17.5
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Still Looking for one . . .
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Cell (original)
Light Oil Ball: Storm Fast
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by TheMilkMan »

Where in NY are you located?
TheoRocker247

Post by TheoRocker247 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Fixed! We opened the front of my thumb this weekend when I worked with a friend from Delaware. I have lots of meat on the bottom area of my thumb so my thumb hasn't even been going into the ball all the way for like 5 months. I know it's kind of embarrassing but my thumb callused up like that after March of this year. I attached a video of the release in slow mo and it feels great! The 1/4 when I opened the front helps me stay in the ball longer. We are excited that things are working again!

Also, when I opened the front it shortened the span just enough to make it perfect. The ring is a little short so I'm gonna go an 1/8 more rise and see how it feels. This shot was taken it league I shot 672 clean. I need a ball that reads early there because the high volume in the middle.

TheMilkMan I am from Upstate NY.
preoakes
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 0 up
Speed: 16-18
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 30

Post by preoakes »

The Milkman is an excellent pro shop guy in western Mass. He's in the Berkshires. Can you narrow the "upstate" part? Albany is considered upstate, that's just over an hour. If it's closer to Niagara, that'd be different. Might still be worth the trip. Mav? Thought?
Zman06
THS Average: 222
Preferred Company: EBI

Post by Zman06 »

If you're in upstate New York you can go see Matt Fazzone at Action Bowling Supply. He does a really good job with fitting and drilling.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

preoakes wrote:The Milkman is an excellent pro shop guy in western Mass. He's in the Berkshires. Can you narrow the "upstate" part? Albany is considered upstate, that's just over an hour. If it's closer to Niagara, that'd be different. Might still be worth the trip. Mav? Thought?
I travel out of the capital district 75 minutes to see Tom.
No work in the capital district that I've seen follows modern fitting techniques.
On average in this area I see spans 1/4"-5/16" longer than modern fitting guidelines.
I have a preference, clean comfort over claw.
TheoRocker247

Post by TheoRocker247 »

Nowhere near Albany. I live in Oswego and have had Fazzone do work for me and it was superb. I had to unfortunately stop going all the way out there because I couldn't could keep driving that far to get a ton of equipment fixed as I'm a college student and I'm in my senior year of my undergrad. Matt is super chill and we had no issues I just hate being far.

I just had bad luck with my driller this weekend as he drilled 4 balls at the wrong span and I had proof of it and he denied it. I now have no driller to help me and it's becoming quite irritating. I've put a lot of time into my bowling game and I don't care what anyone says. I could always call Fazzone soon and ask if he can help but you have to understand the drive is not easy as I'm sharing a car with my girlfriend up here lol.

Theo
TheoRocker247

Post by TheoRocker247 »

Hey guys, checking in. I worked with my new driller from Watertown, NY who has done excellent in helping me. He is patient and knows some unique fitting styles and has associated with Mo in the past and went to his drilling seminars. I went shorter, more forward in thumb, and more reverse in fingers (work in progress). We are fiddling with things but I am able to achieve better ball reaction and stay behind it much easier without muscling shots. The tapered thumb technique works well too as that's helping with my base of thumb joint. My thunb joint is swelled up pretty bad from the "locking and not clearing" before I saw Kevin. It's nowhere as bad as it was last week, so I know I'm moving in the right direction. It's incredible the ball reaction and ease of tilt I'm getting too. I'll post more videos for you guys as time goes. Here's a video from YouTube. I'm just doing leagues for a bit until I get confident enough to compete, rather be solid and full trust on game.

[youtube][/youtube]