Midlane Puzzle

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Linknblue
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 14 to 15 on score display
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm, Pyramid & Brunswick

Midlane Puzzle

Post by Linknblue »

I have been experimenting with all sorts of balls, patterns, surfaces, etc. and I can't seem to get my ball to read the midlane properly.

I'm either flat 10ing on slightly light hits or the ball is breaking to sharp. I've tried throwing to breakpoint, tried using arrows, tried using dots 6' beyond foul line. Tried a mulititude of different releases etc., up the back, spin, suitcase and nothing seems to work for very long.

I'm looking around the one decent league I bowl in and there are bing bangers, straight players, hookers all carrying better than I do. I used to carry the light pocket hits, the shaker hits, but now when I try to get there it's 2, 4, 5, or 2 or 2-8's or worse. Driving me nuts!!!

Got any ideas on why I'm having so much trouble on THS? It's embarassing when my 190 bowlers are carrying much better than I and I'm hitting the hole twice as much and them and still can't break 620.
John H. in Lincoln, CA
PAP =5 over and 1/2" up
Rev Rate = 275
Speed = 14 - 15 on monitor
Axis Rotation = 55 degrees
Axis tilt = 18 degrees
Average = 215 house & 200 sport
55 years of bowling = old guy trying to keep up
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Re: Midlane Puzzle

Post by Dustin »

What surfaces have you tried? 500-800?
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Midlane Puzzle

Post by JMerrell »

I will go on the assumption that you're bowling on a house shot.

I would agree with Dustin, try some surface adjustments first.

Your combination of axis rotation & axis tilt helps push the ball down the lane.

From what you have said it sounds as though the equipment you have been using is reading the lane too late........miss slightly right, ball pushes and breaks with a later sharper motion.

Miss sightly in and the ball never slows down enough to reach the roll stage.......flat ten's.

You didn't mention the equipment you have tried.

If changing surface doesn't work, I suggest you try a stronger cover or earlier rolling layout, may even try adjusting surface on those as well to get a reaction you are looking for.

my 2 cents
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"