ADT drill

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Tbrown827
Preferred Company: Storm

ADT drill

Post by Tbrown827 »

I recently had my balls drilled ADT from the advice of my proshop and I switched to the Turbo switch grips as well and I love the feel I have now. I always had a high track that clipped my thumb hole sometimes. Now it clips my thumb and rolls right thru the middle of my finger inserts. I have tried changing my wrist position but I have bowled the same way for along time and it's hard to change. I usually have good scores but now the track I have is driving me crazy. I've never been a high rev guy and not wanting to be Any advise would he helpful on my track and how to fix it.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: ADT drill

Post by stevespo »

Is this happening with every ball? I also use ADT and track close to finger/thumb. I drilled a Fix with a pin under ring finger, fairly close to the center of the palm and it moved the bowtie close to the middle finger which causes it to flare over finger and occasionally the thumb.

I can move the track with hand position, by trying to increase tilt and get more on top of the ball (ie. spinner) but it's not my natural or preferred release. Eventually, I'm going to plug the ball and move the pin up and over to shift the bowtie.
fix-flare.jpg
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

So, basically I ignored the "flare safe zone" and with my high track (and lower tilt) this pin position just won't work with this ball and layout. I've used it with an IQ Tour and other low flaring balls, but not the Fix.

"There is something called "the safe zone" which is located above an imaginary line from the PAP to the middle finger. If the pin is placed below this line, there is the danger of the flare hitting the middle finger. If the pin is above this line, the ball is "safe" from this result. Generally, this is only a problem for higher-track players and for high flare potential bowling balls."

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

A low balance hole - P3 for symmetrical, P4 for asymmetrical - might pull the bowtie down enough to get you off the holes if the static weights will allow. -- JohnP
Tbrown827

Post by Tbrown827 »

Yes it's on every ball. My pin is directly over my ring finger. The balls I use are balenced. I have been trying to get my thumb out quicker nothing is working. I really want to keep this grip because of the feel. Just looking for some suggestions
clatara
THS Average: 200

Post by clatara »

Tbrown827 wrote:Yes it's on every ball. My pin is directly over my ring finger. The balls I use are balenced. I have been trying to get my thumb out quicker nothing is working.
Your thumb will never get out "very quick" on a ADT fit.

I really want to keep this grip because of the feel. Just looking for some suggestions

The "feel" you have in the stance may not be very useful when you have to release the ball ! E.G. When a bike racer is standing in his leather suit is way too funny and hugly.... but when he's crouched in bike cockpit the suit fits perfectly !
Tbrown827

Post by Tbrown827 »

Yeah I kind of noticed that last night so I went to a 1 step and concentrated on my release and I got my track off my thumb hole but when I went back to my regular approach it started again so I slowed my ball speed down and it got off of my thumb hole again. I think my pitch is off so we are going to try that next and if that don't work I'm going to go back to the way it was.
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

ADT drilling feels great when you put your hand on the ball, but to release it properly is another very different beast. I had a ball drilled this way but because of the excessive left pitch it makes me overturn to release the ball, it lowered my track and if you want to throw spares with the same ball it will be very difficult to send it straight. I never got used to it so I got back to wiki fit.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
clatara
THS Average: 200

Post by clatara »

2y2 wrote:ADT drilling feels great when you put your hand on the ball, but to release it properly is another very different beast. I had a ball drilled this way but because of the excessive left pitch it makes me overturn to release the ball, it lowered my track and if you want to throw spares with the same ball it will be very difficult to send it straight. I never got used to it so I got back to wiki fit.
This sounds very strange to me. :roll:
In my experience an ADT drill ( in most cases) RAISES the track , not LOWER it.
As a matter of fact many bowlers who switched to ADT drill complain that now their track is very very near ( if not crossing) the thumb hole!
I personally experienced the ( so called now) ADT drill in 1971 ( 1/2 left pitch in thumb or even 5/8 left) and I could roll my ball in full roller track only.... no semiroller at all! :x
Tbrown827

Post by Tbrown827 »

Well I was rolling it over my thumb and over my my finger holes but I have been able to get my track 3 inches off my fingers and it's still clipping my thumb but not rolling directly over it with the help of a friend of mine. He said I was not tilting the ball enough when I realised it. I'm going to stick with it for awhile because it has also helped me with the way the ball rolls out of the skid. I think if anything I will change some pitches in my ring finger and thumb at some point