No thumb, palm placement, track and axis tilt...

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

No thumb, palm placement, track and axis tilt...

Post by TonyPR »

I have noticed that if at address I rotate my palm to the left, clockwise when looking at the holes from the top, right hander, my track moves away from my MF. This creates the effect of the RF "span" being longer. Currently using 3/8" both laterals and 1" reverse both fingers. If I were to align the inserts to this "CLT" they would be slightly diagonal to the right like they would be on a left handed regular thumb in grip. Why does this palm placement create more tilt?

In the past I have tried performance fitting to increase tilt, adding 1/8" left lateral to both holes and it has had the opposite effect pulling my track towards the bridge.
Last edited by TonyPR on May 18th, 2017, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: No thumb, palm placement, track and axis tilt...

Post by elgavachon »

TonyPR wrote:I have noticed that if at address I rotate my palm to the left, clockwise when looking at the holes from the top, right hander, my track moves away from my MF and my axis tilt increases. This creates the effect of the RF "span" being longer. Currently using 3/8" both laterals and 1" reverse both fingers. If I were to align the inserts to this "CLT" they would be slightly diagonal to the right like they would be on a left handed regular thumb in grip. Why does this palm placement create more tilt?

In the past I have tried performance fitting to increase tilt, adding 1/8" left lateral to both holes and it has had the opposite effect pulling my track towards the bridge.
Not sure if I understand this correctly, but I add 10* to the right for the centerline on all of the 2 finger balls that I drill. I use 7/16 left 7/16 right with 1" reverse (almost what you are saying). I align the finger inserts with the 10* shift. If you had a thumb hole, the 10* would be the CLT angle. Haven't had any problems hitting middle finger since doing this.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Yes Gavachón, that's exactly what I mean, I align the inserts with a 10* CLT although it's a CLT that would correspond to a lefty thumb in grip as the angle is to the right of the centerline as opposed to what a righty CLT line would be. Is that what you do? If so what is the logic that causes the effect of the track moving off the MF? I know this will cause the laterals to shift... but, in which direction?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

This is the instructions for a right handed bowler. (taken from wiki). This is how I do it for a 2 finger ball also. are you putting the 10* to the left of where the thumb would normaly go?
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... CTIONS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Yes, I draw the line to the opposite side as if it was for a lefty so yes it would end up to the left of where the thumb would be and to the right past the bridge, though I only do this to align the inserts, pitches were drilled on the T. Do you drill the holes along your CLT or do you only use it to align the inserts?

The way I do it the RF "span" would appear longer (if that makes any sense)
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

TonyPR wrote:Yes, I draw the line to the opposite side as if it was for a lefty so yes it would end up to the left of where the thumb would be and to the right past the bridge, though I only do this to align the inserts, pitches were drilled on the T. Do you drill the holes along your CLT or do you only use it to align the inserts?

The way I do it the RF "span" would appear longer (if that makes any sense)
I drill the angles using the right handed CLT line as the center-line and then align the inserts using the same. Ring finger would only appear longer if imagining a thumb hole and because you rotate the palm clockwise. If you drilled the CLT left handed (including pitches), you would probably be using the left lateral of the middle finger as more for-ward pitch and the right lateral of the ring fingert as more away. should be more of a performance fit (which if I understand correctly, left laterals did not work for you. However; Mo uses forward on the middle finger and reverse on the ring finger, which seems to be what you are doing, but not to that extreme. If it works, I would do it.
Have you tried just a little more forward (middle finger) and keeping reverse (RF) using the CLT line as a centerline and then glueing inserts on same line? a performance fit for no thumb bowlers which Mo uses a lot is 3/8 forward middle finger and 3/8 reverse ring finger. I like the 1" inch reverse personally, but Mo uses this as a performance fit for no thumbers. you could tweek it a little and keep the ring finger 1" and the middle finger 3/4 for example., but if you are getting results the way you do it and not hurting fingers, it might not be neccessary.
gunso

Post by gunso »

I'd recommend experimenting with lots of pitches. I'm throwing an almost reverse MO nowadays with good results. MF 1/4 reverse 1/4 left and RF 3/8 forward 5/8 right. I've had luck with MO's pitches as well and was throwing similiar pitches as elgevachon this winter. I found elgevachon's pitches are great for staying behind the ball and lessen the rotation but I needed more rotation to get more versatile so I did some more experimenting.

I sometimes use different palm placements to change my roll if other adjustments have not worked, I'd recommend trying different palm placements and see how they affect your roll and practice them so you can use them if neccessary.