Blister on tip of thumb/ how to stop squeezing

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
etnhero

Blister on tip of thumb/ how to stop squeezing

Post by etnhero »

Hello all,

I've gone through multiple thumbholes and recently went to the ITRC pro shop to get refitted for the "end-all" of all thumbholes. He added more forward pitch and lateral pitch since I had a burn mark on the pad of my thumb as well as a calluous from a previous blister on the side of my thumb, (I think I'm at 1/8 reverse).

Well, after bowling 6 games this week (3 per practice), I've developed a blister on the tip of my thumb. It's filled with clear liquid. The ITRC PSO said it's due to a habit of squeezing the ball. I'm not sure whether to go back to the pro shop or just experiment with tape. I already bowl with a piece of beige bowling tape on the back of my thumb to snug my thumbhole a bit but my main question is: How snug should your thumbhole be? I've been bowling with reactive for a little over a year (self taught through articles, YouTube videos, etc) so I'm still figuring this out. I feel like adding more forward pitch may be unnecessary and I just need to teach my hand how not to squeeze the ball.
Bowlin4Beers

Re: Blister on tip of thumb/ how to stop squeezing

Post by Bowlin4Beers »

Are you sure your fit is correct? How are the spans? Too long or too short and improper pitches will cause all sorts of problems. Most thumbholes are way too big because most new bowlers can't stop squeezing. Opening up the thumb just leads to more squeezing which leads to opening it up even more etc etc.

It should be tight enough so that you can relax your grip without it flying off your hand until it's supposed to. Which for new bowlers seems very tight. Enough space for 2-3 pieces of tape (in the ball itself) is best since no one was blesssd with a non size changing thumb. I'd start with the wiki and make sure your span and pitches are correct first.

My pro shop has a sign up that says "You can't out coach a bad fit" - couldn't be more true.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

etnhero wrote:Hello all,

I've gone through multiple thumbholes and recently went to the ITRC pro shop to get refitted for the "end-all" of all thumbholes. He added more forward pitch and lateral pitch since I had a burn mark on the pad of my thumb as well as a calluous from a previous blister on the side of my thumb, (I think I'm at 1/8 reverse).

Well, after bowling 6 games this week (3 per practice), I've developed a blister on the tip of my thumb. It's filled with clear liquid. The ITRC PSO said it's due to a habit of squeezing the ball. I'm not sure whether to go back to the pro shop or just experiment with tape. I already bowl with a piece of beige bowling tape on the back of my thumb to snug my thumbhole a bit but my main question is: How snug should your thumbhole be? I've been bowling with reactive for a little over a year (self taught through articles, YouTube videos, etc) so I'm still figuring this out. I feel like adding more forward pitch may be unnecessary and I just need to teach my hand how not to squeeze the ball.
Take a look at the following link, Norm Duke lesson on fit, and view his next one (Lesson 11). Viper/Joe
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
etnhero

Post by etnhero »

[quote="Bowlin4Beers"]Are you sure your fit is correct? How are the spans? Too long or too short and improper pitches will cause all sorts of problems. Most thumbholes are way too big because most new bowlers can't stop squeezing. Opening up the thumb just leads to more squeezing which leads to opening it up even more etc etc.

It should be tight enough so that you can relax your grip without it flying off your hand until it's supposed to. Which for new bowlers seems very tight. Enough space for 2-3 pieces of tape (in the ball itself) is best since no one was blesssd with a non size changing thumb. I'd start with the wiki and make sure your span and pitches are correct first.

My pro shop has a sign up that says "You can't out coach a bad fit" - couldn't be more true.[/

The ITRC guy said I should use tape or grip with the inside of the base. "A lesson should help with that". In the past, I was rubbing against the side of the thumbhole. So when he opened up the sides, the front/back of the thumbhole felt a little big.
Bowlin4Beers

Post by Bowlin4Beers »

etnhero wrote:
The ITRC guy said I should use tape or grip with the inside of the base. "A lesson should help with that". In the past, I was rubbing against the side of the thumbhole. So when he opened up the sides, the front/back of the thumbhole felt a little big.
Yes if you grip at all it should be a light grip with the base of your thumb. But definitely use thumbhole tape unless you are the only one blessed with a thumb that doesn't shrink and swell at all.

Rubbing on the sides could be lateral pitches but could also mean you need an oval thumbhole. First step is to verify your span and pitches. If those are off then you'll be dealing with theses issues constantly. Coaching will help yes but if the above isn't correct then you'll never have consistency. You need to eliminate the reason why you want to squeeze and grab the ball first.
Bdgf99
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 5" over, 3/8" up
Speed: 15.5 at Camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Mythic Jackal
Medium Oil Ball: Rogue Blade, Ripcord Flight
Light Oil Ball: Purple Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by Bdgf99 »

TOPS 3 process from Joe Slowinski.
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

It should be helpful if you could post a photo of the problem.

During swing there is gripping and then there is knuckling. Small grip pressure is not the end of the world as long as the grip pressure is stable during the whole swing but lesser is better. Also the lack of bevelling can cause blisters if the fit is not great.

First you could try the tiered taping which is similar effect than with tops-system but easy to make yourself. Check this link. There is one picture in the explanation of tops showing a blister on the thumb. Is the one you have similar?
http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php? ... iew&id=236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tiered taping:
https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... ed-taping/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also see these tips for fitting:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... tting_Tips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure your thumbole is snug enough as were mentioned earlier.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

etnhero wrote:Hello all,

Where are you located? If you have the time and resources may I recommend you get a performance fit done by Mo next time he's in your area. Luckily for me it was where I get my balls drilled even though I have to drive 2 and a half hours away. Take it into consideration, it's worth the time and money to get it right.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor