My Wiki Fit journey

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
BreadNbutterShot
THS Average: 181
Preferred Company: Columbia 300

My Wiki Fit journey

Post by BreadNbutterShot »

Background for this journey.

So let's get started!

In picture: Current span length 4 5/8
Center of the knuckle lines 4 1/8

Step 1
No MoRich fitting ball around so I used this "Anatomical Drilling Technique - Part 1" method (are these even comparable?) but measured the angle with triangle ruler which IMO in this case gives more accurate result and it was 30´. So it gives line D and lateral finger pitches would be: mid 3/16" left and ring 11/16" right.

Step 2
There was 0 3/64" difference between mid and ring finger span (should I take this to account?). My fingers are very flexible so it adds 1/16" to span.

Step 3
I have a average thight thumb angle 90` and now the span length is 4 3/16". So is it 1/8" reverse?

Step 4
Thumb length 2 3/8" so finger pitch 1/8 forward?

Need to find proper cylinder for Jayhawk overlay.

TonyPR: I will practice today and let you know how the TAG 500/2000 abralon worked out. I was also thinking to measure my specs even tho they will change after proper fit. Just for curiosity to see how they will change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: My Wiki Fit journey

Post by TonyPR »

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don't have access to an innovative fitting ball you can use a span wheel but make sure your thumb web is neither too tight nor too slack, think relaxed. Better yet, you can use your ball (which has dangerously long spans) and substract the difference to the line you drew at the midpoint between the creases.

At the time I used magic carpet but now I just use the hada tape on four sides of my thumb and white tape in the back of the hole, this part is just trial and error but always use a fan and or grip sack to keep that thumb dry. Also a thumbhole must always have some kind of tape in it so you can adjust for days when your thumb is larger or smaller and for changes in thumb size during games.

When determining thumb linear pitch with the pitch chart use your middle finger span. For thumb lateral use this method: http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... _pitch.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forget about ADT for now, it's a good method but very different, try Mo's method first since it is what is mostly recommended in this forum. However if you want to try ADT forget about Mo's method and use ADT. Better yet, you could try both methods in two different balls and see which one you like best, just don't mix them up, do one or the other.

Please report back.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
BreadNbutterShot

TonyPR wrote:Better yet, you can use your ball (which has dangerously long spans) and substract the difference to the line you drew at the midpoint between the creases.
My span was measured with span wheel. But I will ask if I can look it by my self. Your suggestion about substracting the difference from current ball was exactly where I get my "Center of the knuckle lines 4 1/8" So this 4 1/8" should be quite close to my right span?
TonyPR wrote:At the time I used magic carpet but now I just use the hada tape on four sides of my thumb and white tape in the back of the hole, this part is just trial and error but always use a fan and or grip sack to keep that thumb dry.

I currently use hada tape only back of my thumb and have white tape in front of the hole and slide tape back. I will make some trials after I get that grip fixed.

TonyPR wrote:Forget about ADT for now.
Sure. I was only using the ADT method to determine my angle for Fan Chart. For other measurements I followed Mo's method.
Can I use this method if I can't find fitting ball? http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... structions Didn't notice it yesterday when I was taking measurements.

Last but definitely not least, TAG 500/2000. :o I had no idea it can make _that_ much of a difference. Huge HUGE improvement to movement. Not as explosive in the pins but still strong enough to get good pin carry, more importantly much easier to control. This is also area that I will test more after my grip is good. Then I can reconsider do I really need a new ball(s).

Apparently it is better to make bigger changes in start, just to get know how different bad's affect to the motion. I was thinking that using 500 would only make it to flip even stronger. I actually did some minor scrubbing with 4000 but that didn't change motion much.

Now I have one more tool in my box that helps me to improve my scores and game. Thank you!!
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

If 4 1/8" is line at midpoint between creases and webbing wasn't too tight nor slack then that's your span. Measure for both fingers to the 16th. Yes, use the fan chart instructions for your CLT and let me know the degrees, we are almost there. You said both fingers are very flexible at the tip, correct?. Finally, I need your thumb lateral, print the paper and use a tall starch can or similar. I will tell you your wiki fit.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

About ball surface, it's all about friction, with a lower surface the ball will read earlier and start to "burn energy" earlier making it more controlable and less flippy.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
BreadNbutterShot

Today I took all the measurements just to be sure they are correct.

Span: Mid 4 1/8" (10.5 cm) Ring 4 3/32" (10.4 cm)
Finger Fan: 10'
Flexibility: Mid 80' Ring 70'
Thumb angle: 90'
Normal skin
Gripping angle: 1/4 R

Some notes:
I realized when I am measuring my finger flexibility I have to hold finger straight with my left hand index and middle finger. I also made angle chart to make it easier to estimate angles. Measured angles from nail side. If it should be measured from the center angles are Mid 90' Ring 80'

When I was measuring gripping angle I rotated cylinder so that center of my thumb touched the 1/4 R line. This ended up to be the same line I estimated my thumb was pointing at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

BreadNbutterShot wrote: Flexibility: Mid 80' Ring 70'
I would say your middle finger flex is more like 70°
finger-flex_v2.jpg
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

bowl1820 wrote: I would say your middle finger flex is more like 70°
I agree.
BreadNbutterShot

bowl1820 wrote:I would say your middle finger flex is more like 70°
Yeah it seems to be. I re measured angles with my angle chart and raised my finger to be higher so that the 0 point is roughly at same point as it is in picture you modified and looked the angle from middle of the finger tip. Angles Mid 70°, Ring 60°. Very good correction TY.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Your Wiki Fit:

MF 4 1/8", 3/8"Left, 3/16" Forward
RF 4 3/32", 1/2"Right, 3/16" Forward
Thumb 1/16" Reverse, 1/4" Right

Are you sure you used the side of the cylinder cut out labeled for right handers? If so, then this is your Wiki Fit. If it was mine I would have measured the RF span to the 16th as 32nd may be a bit too precise but if your driller doesn't mind and he can hit his marks then it is what it is.

When you have your ball drilled make sure all 3 hole sizes are correct and tune them to fit perfectly allowing for at least 3 pieces of tape to tune your thumb fit for swelling and shrinking of the thumb. Do the fingernail test on page 9(last page) of the Mo Rich fitting instructions. If there's no pressure on the nails bowl at least 3 games and tune the thumb bevel as needed.

Let us know how it went.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
BreadNbutterShot

TonyPR wrote:Are you sure you used the side of the cylinder cut out labeled for right handers? If so, then this is your Wiki Fit. If it was mine I would have measured the RF span to the 16th as 32nd may be a bit too precise but if your driller doesn't mind and he can hit his marks then it is what it is.
I'm sure. There is a big difference if I compare my left and right thumb how they move. If I put my relaxed hands in to fist my left thumb is on top of index finger (in cylinder test between 0 and 1/8) where as my right hand thumb goes on top of my ring finger. This might be due to small injury in my right thumb when I was young.

Would you suggest to go longer or shorter span with my RF? If I go notch up it's 4 1/8" and notch down it's 4 1/16"?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Do what feels most comfortable.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Would you suggest to go longer or shorter span with my RF? If I go notch up it's 4 1/8" and notch down it's 4 1/16"?
If your driller doesn't have an adjustable fitting ball I would suggest going shorter instead of longer. In my experience you'll do better with a span that's a little short than a little long. -- JohnP
BreadNbutterShot

Finally I had time to get one ball drilled with this fit.

Definitely different feeling. It felt kinda short at the beginning (no pressure on fingernails) :lol: Biggest change is probably how thigh I can now tape my thumb and still be able to have smooth release. I can keep my hand very relaxed during swing. No need to grip or squeeze the ball.

I took also some measurements:
speed (from hand) 15,7 mph
rev rate 330
axis tilt 10
axis rotation 60

PAP 4 3/8", 5/8" up

I assume my measurements will change a bit after I get more used to this new grip. Any layout recommendations based on those numbers? I like to play arch type of motion. Not a big fan of skid flip.

I kinda need to drill at least couple of my balls for this new layout to be able to compete.