Reporting in on new Radical Bowling Technologies Releases

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Reporting in on new Radical Bowling Technologies Releases

Post by MegaMav »

The houses around here have been tighter than snot the past few weeks with the big cold snap we've had. It was below zero for a few nights in a row then single digits, so I've found it very difficult to shoot video that will accurately show a ball's strengths and weaknesses. It will make the weaker balls appear too weak and the stronger balls more medium at best. I'll be writing this up for now until I can get video after the holidays.

Jackpot Solid - I have the same layout on this one as my pearl Jackpot. 75 x 4.25 x 55 + P3 to tune. The pearl was and is a great ball for house shots. When shots get over/under and there isnt carrydown on the backend the pearl is/was the ball to make sense of whats presented to you. The solid I've found has a similar amount of hook, maybe a little more but its much smoother and hooks for longer. It doesnt have that mica bite. If you're rev dominant or encounter over/under a lot this is a great ball. I've found this ball at box finish to match up with my game a little better, but I've had to scuff it a little bit with a grey pad with medium pressure. I havent spent as much time with this one as I have with the pearl, just because this ball isnt optimal for super tight conditions I've been seeing the last few weeks. I think it reminds me quite a bit of the Grease Monkey POW, so if you're looking to replace that one, look no further. Very similar. A good choice for OVER/UNDER conditions without carrydown (1st shift overblock), or higher friction surfaces. Smoother than the Jackpot pearl and lacks that MICA bite on the backend the Jackpot has. More midlane, similar amount of hook.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ridiculous Pearl - I helped out at a demo day in North Adams, MA about 6 weeks ago, and when I saw this ball for the first time I was shocked how clean it was on wood lanes, and I attributed that to the pin over bridge the demo balls have that are lefty/righty neutral. It makes symmetrics look weak and asymmetrics look strong. With that information I layed mine out 80 x 3 x 50, No Hole. I gotta say this ball is impressive with this layout on it. It turned what I thought was a lazy ball into something that reads the mids very well and transitions quick enough to give me the roll phase EVEN WITH THE BOX POLISHED FINISH which is extremely rare for me. Brunswick seems to burn their polishes in very hard, very glossy, glassy and tough to scuff. As someone with tilt, I need a little texture to get the ball to read on little spotty oil on the backend to avoid the ball being late, This ball is anything but late. I was surprised that I nailed the layout on this one and didnt need a hole to tune. A good choice for more medium shots. I recommend if you have a benchmark layout to decrease the Pin to PAP by 1/2" to get it to roll earlier especially if you're not one to mess around with surface (which you should).

Xeno - I was probably most excited about this release. It appeared to me to be an updated original Black Reax type of look. My layout on that ball was 45 x 4.5 x 45 and it was a hair too smooth, so I went slightly highter ratio of angles to give it a bit more kick 50 x 4.5 x 40. The characteristic of this ball is not all that smooth IMO. Maybe it was the Pin to PAP distance I selected, but this ball is massive on the backend but is not skid snap. Its a ball I've gotten super deep on house shots, increase tilt and rotation and throw it into the friction left of everyone. Its the right amount of hook and the ball rolls at the right time. I've shot higher scores with this one than I've thought were out there to get. Its a medium cover I've added a touch of surface to with a 2000 pad. It doesnt burn patterns up fast with its medium cover but its got the motor to turn the corner from deeper angles with the right shape. Versatile and a perfect design for a benchmark ball.

[youtube][/youtube]

The Fix - I had a hard time wrapping my head around the design, so I stuck to the drill sheet. Asym B, and im glad I went with it. 70 x 4 ½" x 40. For a ball that starts with not that much asymmetry in the design, the asymmetric layouts appear to be some of the strongest asymmetric reactions I've seen. Im talking back in the LevRG series. Its every bit the 0.37 diff ratio for me. I had a problem with statics on the Guru Limited, so this ball turned into my tight window ball when the backends are wiggling and I need to keep the ball tight to the pocket and roll the ball forward quick with good entry angle. I added a small tuning hole 5/8" x 3" to get it to speed up enough on carry down conditions. This ball's coverstock is quite strong in box finish and probably hooks the most IN THE OIL that I've seem. It actually reacts better in oil than it does if its in the dry too long. Shots to the ditch from steeper angles come back with ease. This ball breaks a lane down very fast for me. Stronger cover than advertised, in fact, the whole design is stronger than advertised.

[youtube][/youtube]

Guru Limited - I wanted to double thumb this one. I shot some pretty big scores with my last double thumbed ball which was the LevRG Response. I layed it out 63 x 4 x 30. That drill angle puts the PSA within 1/2 of the outside of my thumb sleeve. Shorter pin, lowish top, thought I could make it work, but no dice. No worries, I have THE FIX unexpectedly for this duty. With box finish, I thought this ball was a bit too skid snap for my taste. I scuffed it medium pressure with a grey scotchbrite after practicing just enough to haze the polish. It was really good on the fresh Monday league on the end pair 19/20 but due to the cold weather and 3-4 people on the pair throwing old shiny balls up the middle and from right to left it got snot tight after my opening 265 then got tighter and tighter, 224, then down from there. So I stayed after and scuffed it harder until it became stronger in the midlane. Stopped scuffing then bowled league. I bowl 2nd shift Tuesdays after a mixed league. You can imagine how tight and over/under they would be. Grinded it out 199 with making my spare, won head 2 head, playing left to right wasnt working, playing up the lane with it and pulling the string worked better. Lane was getting extremely tight and over/under, so I made my angle to the pocket 15 at the arrows to 12 at 43 feet. Pulled the string then went light 6 times and flush twice for the front 8 the 3rd game. Flat 10 on a late reaction, then 8/X for 267 and the W. This ball can do a lot and its becoming my THS ball of choice replacing the Guru Supreme even though it hook less overall but on tighter shots I've been seeing lately the quick bit of angle at 45 feet is perfect. It hooks A LOT with friction, so be warned! IT HOOKS!

A near complete arsenal can be made from the 2016 releases alone, all you would be missing is the bottom end with a Rack Attack, weak shell.

All balls were drilled in North Adams, MA by Thomas Mongeon at Mount Greylock Bowl.
See him for all of your needs. Hes the total package.

41 Roberts Dr
North Adams, Massachusetts
(413) 663-3761
ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

Re: Reporting in on new Radical Bowling Technologies Release

Post by ChrisTan »

Do you have any videos of all the test you did ?
Chris
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Very nice. Makes me wish I lived close enough to bowl some leagues with you.
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

whats "pull the string" mean? just different terminology for something I refer to by a different term?
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

rrb6699 wrote:whats "pull the string" mean? just different terminology for something I refer to by a different term?
Ball skids far down the lane and completes its hook phase quickly while being very close to the pocket.
Very similar look to playing Shark.
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

ok I see where a ball on shark would have to read friction very quick.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Added 2 videos. Jackpot Solid coming soon.
MegaMav