Span question

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
stanthecaddy12
Preferred Company: storm

Span question

Post by stanthecaddy12 »

Happy Thanksgiving all! Just a quick question. If you insert your thumb fully into the bowling ball, and then place the fingers in, should the fingers go in with out any pulling up of the hand? I notice if I do this with my equipment, my hand pulls up a bit toward the fingers, and the thumb wants to pull up a bit out of the hole. This in turn increases the pressure on the base pad side of my thumb.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Span question

Post by elgavachon »

stanthecaddy12 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving all! Just a quick question. If you insert your thumb fully into the bowling ball, and then place the fingers in, should the fingers go in with out any pulling up of the hand? I notice if I do this with my equipment, my hand pulls up a bit toward the fingers, and the thumb wants to pull up a bit out of the hole. This in turn increases the pressure on the base pad side of my thumb.
I think this is normal. I know bowlers who insert their thumb first for their 10 pins and then insert their fingers but, without pulling thumb out to insert fingers deeper.
Usually with bowlers who like to insert fingers fully and then pull out slightly to insert thumb.
The real span test is to see if there is any pressure on the back of your fingernails after you have the ball in your hand satisfactorily.
stanthecaddy12

Post by stanthecaddy12 »

elgavachon wrote:I think this is normal. I know bowlers who insert their thumb first for their 10 pins and then insert their fingers but, without pulling thumb out to insert fingers deeper.
Usually with bowlers who like to insert fingers fully and then pull out slightly to insert thumb.
The real span test is to see if there is any pressure on the back of your fingernails after you have the ball in your hand satisfactorily.

Thanks for your response elgavachon. When you do the span test for fingernail pressure, you insert the fingers to the proper spot and then fully insert the thumb. Should you completely relax the hand then to check for pressure? Or should the fingers put some pressure on the inserts? I notice when I do this test, and completely relax the hand, there is considerable pressure on the fingernails, especially the middle finger. The last ball I had done, my PSO drilled me at 1/8" reverse in the fingers because of flexibility, but I believe he drilled me a bit longer to offset that. I'm thinking now he went to long.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Yes. check relaxed. Best to do one finger at a time per Mo. You can do it with the ball on a table or bench. Insert finger first and then thumb.
stanthecaddy12

Post by stanthecaddy12 »

elgavachon wrote:Yes. check relaxed. Best to do one finger at a time per Mo. You can do it with the ball on a table or bench. Insert finger first and then thumb.
Ok I did. I have a good deal of pressure on the middle finger nail. Not quite as much on the ring finger, but still noticeable pressure. Measured the spans per wiki, and I'm 3/16" long on the middle finger. The ring finger span is close, just under 1/16" long. As stated before, the fingers are 1/8" reverse. Would you recommend just shortening the spans?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

stanthecaddy12 wrote:
Ok I did. I have a good deal of pressure on the middle finger nail. Not quite as much on the ring finger, but still noticeable pressure. Measured the spans per wiki, and I'm 3/16" long on the middle finger. The ring finger span is close, just under 1/16" long. As stated before, the fingers are 1/8" reverse. Would you recommend just shortening the spans?
Yes.
stanthecaddy12

Post by stanthecaddy12 »

elgavachon wrote:Yes.
Thanks!