Closed fist realease

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Closed fist realease

Post by skfboiler »

I've only been bowling for a year now and learned so much on these forums and YouTube videos. I am still struggling with my release, how to get my thumb out in particular. I also have a very slow rev rate. If I use the yo-yo release where you uncoil the wrist I get the thumb out clean and much improved rev rate but there is no finger action thus no axis tilt. I'm constantly thinking my wrist has to be this way, my fingers that way etc.

Recently while bowling during the open session, a very friendly pro shop owner came out to watch. I talked to him very briefly and he suggested I try the closed fist release. After a year of researching forums and YouTube I never heard of this release. Without video I hope y'all can picture, but basically at the bottom of your downswing you start clinching your fist. By the time you finish the swing, the fist is closed with the knuckles pointing left for a right handed bowler. I thought that I would give it a try. Wow, what a difference. Without thinking of where my grip should be or how am I going to clear the thumb, I just released the ball while clinching my fist. My thumb cleared without thinking about it, my rev rate increased, my axis rotation improved. I rolled 4 strikes in a row after that. I then had a pretty good rest to the day, just need to iron out some other issues, perhaps for another topic later.

Has anyone heard or tried this particular release? Does anyone know how or why it works? It will be awhile before I go back this particular bowling center to ask the pro shop owner.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
slmrcs

Re: Closed fist realease

Post by slmrcs »

Watching this may be helpful:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are other guys on this board with a lot more posts, who I'm sure know more than me, but I think this is about bad information given to beginner bowlers. The "yo-yo" release as you call it, may work for Chris Barnes, and Tommy Jones, but is extremely difficult, and unrealistic for most bowlers. I had the same problem years ago when I thought I was doing the yo-yo thing, but was just breaking my wrist and killing the hook.

Haven't seen the term "closed fist" release, but at the release the wrist should be straight firm, or slightly cupped and your fingers have to come around the right side of the ball if it's going to hook to the left. Keeping the fingers on the "inside" or left side of ball will result in a totally straight or "back-up" release.

"Playing behind the ball," is very confusing terminology. People like Randy Pertersen are just confusing by saying things like "amateurs play the outside of the ball, pros play the inside." It's true that those with the world class "yo-yo" release may start more on the "inside" everyone has to come around if you want the ball to hook.

So what I think you were being taught it just a good, basic release that most people should use.

While it would be fun to emulate the release of Sean Rash and put over 500 RPMs on the ball, not only is the probably very unrealistic for someone with 1 year of experience, but would take a lot of proper coaching and practice if you happen to be born with the physical skills to even learn that.

Sometimes looking more at how women generally play is more practical. Kelly Kulick is a great example.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

My wrist is firm and slightly cupped. This release just seems so natural, at least for me as a beginner. The ball hooks right into the pocket with good rev rate and tilt. I guess closing the fist during the release gets the fingers around in a position optimal for creating hook. I aim around somewhere between the 5 and 10 board. My ball is the Storm Punch Out, pearl cover with 1,500 polished surface.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

I seen this mentioned once or twice before.

From what I've ran across about it the "closed fist" is from the BR (before resin) years , when they were still trying to put lift on the ball .

When releasing the ball instead of rolling the ball off the fingers, you closed your hand like making a fist as you released the ball. This caused the fingers to hit up on the ball.

I believe also it was used to get the feeling of the thumb coming out first then the fingers as a training tip. But it wasn't meant to be done all the time, it was just a training drill.

I believe it's also referred to as the "Squeeze" which is mentioned in some books by "Earl Anthony & Dawson Taylor" such as "Bowling Strikes"

excerpt from a synopsis (remember these are old books):
"The secret of bowling the modern (at the time) strike ball--the "squeeze" principle, or putting action into or spin on the ball--is explained clearly and simply within these pages. "

Others have said that Brian Voss can be seen doing it in this picture, because the fingers are curling back toward the palm :
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Closed fist = grip pressure

Not good!
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

MegaMav wrote:Closed fist = grip pressure

Not good!
I was thinking the same thing when the pro shop owner was talking to me about this. It was going against what I was researching. But actually there is no grip pressure. You swing with your normal grip pressure. Then start the squeeze at the bottom of the swing. By that time the thump is out, seemingly and then the fingers.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

MegaMav wrote:Closed fist = grip pressure

Not good!
Agreed! This thread brings up some really great points. I'll start with the Richard Shockley video link posted above. He refers to the classic release used by Walter Ray, Norm Duke, and others who he refers to as "The Greatest Bowlers in the World." I have to disagree. These great bowlers were the greatest bowlers in the world prior to the introduction of modern bowling balls, synthetic lane surfaces, and modern lane conditions. Today, based on current PBA National Tour results, the greatest bowlers in the world all use a load/unload type of release.

A few months ago, I wrote an article for BTM about "working the inside of the ball." I was very clear about one thing: it takes a whole lot of work and dedication to develop a modern release, and it's not for those who want instant success. It takes at least a year for a bowler who has learned a traditional release to successfully learn a modern release, but it can be done. Teaching new bowlers this fist thing where they are grabbing and lifting is just insuring that they will never learn to be really successful on modern conditions, for the simple reason that it doesn't take into account release timing: the time between when the thumb exits the ball and the fingers exit the ball. In the old days release timing was very fast as it depended on the fingers lifting as the hand turned around the ball. Today modern release timing is very slow as it depends on giving the bowler time to turn the wrist through the ball rather than around it.

If there is one piece of advice that can help every bowler who wants to be really successful using modern equipment, it is to find a qualified coach and learn how to play today's game today.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

RobMautner wrote: Today modern release timing is very slow
I am glad you pointed this out. Bill Hall showed me this point on video.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

The bottom line of this entire thread is that modern bowling has changed, and anyone who is serious about keeping up with the changes to some degree. The modern release is not just about the load/unload release. It's about release timing, and overall timing, and footwork, and spine tilt, and hip and shoulder angle. It's about not reaching for the ceiling, but reaching for the pins. It's about pushing through the ball instead of pulling the ball to you. It's about not, not dropping your shoulder, but DYDS.

Any bowler who is successful today on either the National Tour or the PBA50 Tour has done some of these things to keep up with the times. In Chris Barnes case, he has learned to pause at the top to let his late timing work with a modern release. With Pete Weber and Norm Duke it has been learning to keep from grabbing the ball at the bottom. Anyone who has ever watched Pete will see that when he throws a perfect shot, his fingers are splayed straight out at the top of his follow through. When they are closed, he has thrown a bad shot. Norm is the same.

I think the thing that is most upsetting about this whole thread is the first post where the PSO comes out and offers a beginning bowler advice that is totally ill-advised. The correct advice would have been to find a qualified coach who can get you started right instead of having to invest months and months after all of the ill-advised bad habits have become muscle memory.
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

I use a "closed fist" release when the lanes call for it. a great example is when the backends are flying on a fresh ths, then next thing you know my quiet release stroking the ball isn't making it back. one of many things that works for me is closing my fist at release. I don't have to move and it puts more revs and turn on the ball. I can hold a good carry angle for longer without moving in instances like this.

if the heads are beat up, no. I can barely repeat a shot. then a ball change or move is required. but in cases where the lanes play long it wirks great. I don't think the old school approach should be ruled out. try a urethane ball on a ths. you can still find a way to line up no matter what release you use. you can try it and find out. I tell guys I bowl with who are having trouble scoring to go "old school" on them. it works. don't discard anything.

I think the best bowler is the most versatile. to bowl your best ya gotta pull out all the stops.

even if it means "going old school".

RR
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.