Callus on middle finger, concerned?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Xeroqualms
Preferred Company: Storm

Callus on middle finger, concerned?

Post by Xeroqualms »

So I've had a weird callus develop on the front of my middle finger. I bowl no inserts and have for about 3-4 years now. It hasn't really bothered me but it is starting to more recently. I have a burning sensation while bowling. It's relieve a bit if I cover it with some tape but I'd rather not have to. If I had to guess I would probably say it's just from digging into the holes, but thought I'd see what other people say. My ring finger is fine, is it possible my middle finger span is a bit short, leading me to dig in a bit? Also I keep my inserts pretty tight with tape, I use little pieces of cut tape to adjust my finger holes almost everytime I bowl, so I don't think it's due to the holes being too big or anything. Thanks for any input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Callus on middle finger, concerned?

Post by bowl1820 »

Going by the fitting tips a callous in the crease, is a sign of worn inserts and/or short span.

Since you have no inserts, then a short span is a possibility that can be explored.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I've got the same exact callous on the middle finger (my only one). I've tried lengthening the span 1/16-1/8" and didn't like the feel, so I just keep the spot under control with a file and sandpaper.

I feel like it's not from the finger being too deep in the grip (ie. not a semi fingertip), but from friction on the pad against the ball. Possibly the 3/8" reverse contributes, but I can't say for sure...

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
Xeroqualms
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Xeroqualms »

I'll try on a test ball just for fun and see how it goes maybe this spring. Thanks Bowl1820.

Steve, funny you should say that, my girlfriend gave me that treatment this weekend after I showed her. I never thought to use a file and shim it down. It feels much better now, and I'll see how it goes tonight in league.

Also making an effort to not have my fingers unnecessarily tight as well. I noticed the backs of my fingers were getting scrapped up from the tape in the back of my fingers because I was having to jam them in. Between those two things I think this should be better. Thanks guys!
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

Make sure the hole that the finger insert is in has enough bevel, have seen one time in the past that the edge created by drilling into the ball can tear up a finger.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson