Low Axis Tilt bowlers

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
stopncrank

Low Axis Tilt bowlers

Post by stopncrank »

Hey all, I have some questions about low tilt and how it affect ball motion. First, my stats: Rh, ball speed is 16 mph(scoring unit), 410-430 rev rate, 12 3/4" track diameter. Pap is 3 7/8>, 7/8 ^. All questions are geared toward THS, several different centers.

In general, are there similarities between most bowlers with low tilt ie- generally do they struggle with dryer lanes? Are there certain types of ball that are not recommended for low tilt? Are there certain surface preps that are not good, and are there optimal surface preps?

I ask this because its seems its one area that Ive gotten kinda lazy on, and when I look back equipment wise in the time span I can see patterns in layouts where I probably should have gone a different direction. Thanks in advance for responses. Just looking to compare responses with what Ive been doing.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Low Axis Tilt bowlers

Post by TonyPR »

When selecting layouts low axis tilt will add to your rev dominance, learning to adjust speed and axis rotation are assets to a low tilt player. Axis tilt is just a piece of the puzzle, speed to rev rate and axis rotation will finish telling your bowler dna, when we have all the pieces of the puzzle including oil pattern and lane material we can recommend balls, layouts and surfaces.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

stopncrank wrote:Hey all, I have some questions about low tilt and how it affect ball motion. First, my stats: Rh, ball speed is 16 mph(scoring unit), 410-430 rev rate, 12 3/4" track diameter. Pap is 3 7/8>, 7/8 ^. All questions are geared toward THS, several different centers.

In general, are there similarities between most bowlers with low tilt ie- generally do they struggle with dryer lanes? Are there certain types of ball that are not recommended for low tilt? Are there certain surface preps that are not good, and are there optimal surface preps?

I ask this because its seems its one area that Ive gotten kinda lazy on, and when I look back equipment wise in the time span I can see patterns in layouts where I probably should have gone a different direction. Thanks in advance for responses. Just looking to compare responses with what Ive been doing.
You forgot to mention ball weight.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

I throw 15lb, and my natural rotation is around 50*, but can get it to 90 if needed. Lane surfaces vary, as I bowl in a traveling organization. One center i bowl league in gives me the hardest time, its an older Brunswick center built in the early 90's so im pretty sure its early Anvillane maybe.