Wrist/hand position as a stroker

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
brood915

Wrist/hand position as a stroker

Post by brood915 »

I've been practicing to put my hand inside of the ball and to cup my wrist to generate revs.
But is this necessary as a stroker? For instance, it looks to me that Norm Duke just puts his hand behind the ball and does not really cup his wrist or work the inside of the ball..
river800
THS Average: 202
Preferred Company: Storm/radical

Re: Wrist/hand position as a stroker

Post by river800 »

brood915 wrote:I've been practicing to put my hand inside of the ball and to cup my wrist to generate revs.
But is this necessary as a stroker? For instance, it looks to me that Norm Duke just puts his hand behind the ball and does not really cup his wrist or work the inside of the ball..
What has been your experience since trying to work the inside of the ball at the release? If you feel learning how to work the inside of the ball more and a better positioned cupped wrist is showing some good results, then I would encourage you to keep working on that. But, remember old habits will show through at times and that is what makes change difficult. Having people around us who can encourage us to keep going can go a long way. In the process we can learn a better mental game and how to look at what we are doing.

Many of these players out on tour learned techniques many years ago, they have had time, coaches and many other things to help to fine tune their physical games. As we know in this world, new information comes out and people try it. Some of it works, some of it may not work. People take what they want and try and use it to the best of their ability, but in all reality using good solid fact based information is clearly seen when people know what they are looking at and for. Other people completely change their physical game because what they were doing wasn't working at all. For the people who can completely change their game, power to them, but for the rest that can not to this level, they simply work on getting more consistent with what they are able to change.

Generally speaking Norm duke likes playing up the boards which is his "A" game. Now he does move in at times and hooks the ball more, but his mental and physical game was formed around whoever he started watching and then who started working with him when he first started bowling. Norm prides himself on making quality shots and hitting a mark consistently just like Walter Ray Williams JR. Their talent has been show cased for many years. The same thing could be said about the newest bowlers to join the pba tour and pwba tour.
Stats:
Right handed
Pap is 4 3/4 x 3/8 up currently
Speed around 16.5 off hand
Tilt in the 14-16* range
Rev rate: around 325 - 350 or so
Axis rotation in the 25-70* range
I bowl on Brunswick synthetics. Ths...
brood915

Post by brood915 »

river800 wrote:
What has been your experience since trying to work the inside of the ball at the release? If you feel learning how to work the inside of the ball more and a better positioned cupped wrist is showing some good results, then I would encourage you to keep working on that. But, remember old habits will show through at times and that is what makes change difficult. Having people around us who can encourage us to keep going can go a long way. In the process we can learn a better mental game and how to look at what we are doing.

Many of these players out on tour learned techniques many years ago, they have had time, coaches and many other things to help to fine tune their physical games. As we know in this world, new information comes out and people try it. Some of it works, some of it may not work. People take what they want and try and use it to the best of their ability, but in all reality using good solid fact based information is clearly seen when people know what they are looking at and for. Other people completely change their physical game because what they were doing wasn't working at all. For the people who can completely change their game, power to them, but for the rest that can not to this level, they simply work on getting more consistent with what they are able to change.

Generally speaking Norm duke likes playing up the boards which is his "A" game. Now he does move in at times and hooks the ball more, but his mental and physical game was formed around whoever he started watching and then who started working with him when he first started bowling. Norm prides himself on making quality shots and hitting a mark consistently just like Walter Ray Williams JR. Their talent has been show cased for many years. The same thing could be said about the newest bowlers to join the pba tour and pwba tour.
Working inside DID improve my revs, but as Jim pointed out, it causes my backswing to go behind my back a little and causes inside-out swing. So I decided to just stay behind the ball.. But at the same time, I dont really wanna give up on that "extra" revs..
river800
THS Average: 202
Preferred Company: Storm/radical

Post by river800 »

brood915 wrote:
Working inside DID improve my revs, but as Jim pointed out, it causes my backswing to go behind my back a little and causes inside-out swing. So I decided to just stay behind the ball.. But at the same time, I dont really wanna give up on that "extra" revs..
Sounds like a catch 22... But, the point to take away from this is that you were able to work the inside of the ball more to an extent despite the small issue with your arm swing going behind your back some. To me it sounds like you could be a bit more versatile in the long run, but that is up to you on how far you want to go when trying a new technique.
Stats:
Right handed
Pap is 4 3/4 x 3/8 up currently
Speed around 16.5 off hand
Tilt in the 14-16* range
Rev rate: around 325 - 350 or so
Axis rotation in the 25-70* range
I bowl on Brunswick synthetics. Ths...