2017 Open Championship Tournament CONCERNS

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Noel
Preferred Company: Motiv

2017 Open Championship Tournament CONCERNS

Post by Noel »

I have just visited the USBC site and visualized my member information in preparation for the 2017 Open Championship Competition. By their calculations my Championship average is 188 for the period 2013-2015 tournaments. That adjusted average is 214 which means I would be assigned to the regular division of the competition.

In reviewing my record, I have not averaged over 205 in the last five years and my composite averages were all less than 204 for the same period. My Sports League averages were 182 for 2014 and 2015 and 176 for 2016.

The new policy with assignment to the regular division means that I will be at the bottom of that division in spite of the fact that I have never cashed in all events in the tournament and have never collected more than $80 in any of those tournaments.

When the initial information about the changes in the tournament was released, I was optimistic because now completing in the standard division would mean that I might be competitive for one of the prizes and this would make the expensive trip to the Nationals worthwhile. This latest information suggests that I would be better served to terminate my 15 year relationship with the USBC Open Championship Tournament. The opportunity to complete with the rest of the bowlers in the United States has always been a driving force for participation, but now that I have been re-rated to the bottom of a much higher scoring division has markedly reduced that level of interest.

At age 72, I don’t need to prove anything to myself about my bowling and my physical skills and abilities are not increasing.

I just wanted to put this issue out to the rest of the bowlers who might share some my concerns about this USBC move.

Noel Dysart, Manager, NSA Bethesda Bowling Center
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: 2017 Open Championship Tournament CONCERNS

Post by krava »

I think the problem with your "rerate" is because of that high sport average. I think they take that sport average and add 20-25 to it. I would call someone and dispute that. I think just for the age you are and the average you have at the championships, that you should be in the middle bracket for sure. I just looked it up and I guess they are considering the USBC average a sport average. I would dispute that if you can. I "should" be in the middle division myself. I only plan to go to nationals if I think I can win it all. Right now I am averaging about 218 on the national shot (if you negate those 4-7's I left and didn't pick up which to me is a fluke last week.). I have another shot on the same shot on wednesday. I need to be around 250 average on the shot to win that division. (atleast I hope that is all I need). I have a year left and all I am doing is preparing for this 1 tournament.