How to make ball fall on fingers?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
future

How to make ball fall on fingers?

Post by future »

Hi Coach, I would like some info on what to do to make the ball fall nicely on the fingers for a natural roll. I accidentally got this magical feeling one time when ball just fell on fingers perfectly and simply asked me to roll the ball. I have never figured out how it came about and could not repeat it ever since. Is it the grip, the swing, the position of the hand during the swing that contributed to the ball falling so naturally and wonderfully on to the fingers? Many thanks for any help!
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Re: How to make ball fall on fingers?

Post by ballspoint »

A big part is timing, fast feet, pulling the arm down which doesnt give time for the thumb to come out and the ball onto the fingers. I know as i am working on the same thing. Also where is your hand ? under the equater or above it?
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
future

Post by future »

Belated thanks (after more than a year!). I guess the secret is to find way to have ball fall on to fingers once thumb is out. I had to concentrate on more basic things but hope some day it will work out!
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

For me its a matter of not rushing the swing, i like to have my slide finished then the ball just coming on to the foot as that gives time for the thumb to come out then the weight is on the palm/fingers . It is a split second thing but when it happens well it could feel like many seconds. you have to have a free swing, no pulling down, just let it fall. It takes practise.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

The secret to having the ball "fall on the fingers" to encourage rolling it rather than throwing it is in the release timing. Back in the old days, the less time between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers exiting, the more lift. Today, conversely, the more time between when the thumb exits and when the fingers exit, the more you roll the ball. A good example is Mike Fagan. There is so much time between when his thumb exits and his fingers exit, you could almost take a nap! One thing that you can do to encourage this is to break the wrist early, in a yo-yo like motion, and keep it broken like having the yo-yo "walk the dog." This is the heart of a modern release.
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

In order to make ball fall onto fingers you must allow the ball to fall off the thumb into the fingers. This means no squeezing / grabbing or muscling of the ball. You also have to allow the wrist to uncup just before the ball comes off the thumb.

As mention earlier from RobMautner mention Mike Fagan watch this video.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to practice the release.

and my favorite

also

None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223