middle finger pain

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
richardsymms

middle finger pain

Post by richardsymms »

My pro shop operator changed my finger pitches from 1 inch reverse to zero and my thumb pitch from 1/2 Forward to 1/16th forward. Now, I bowl a lot like up to 15 games a day 3 days a week plus league. Anyway, my middle finger hurt so much, I could not bowl the 3rd game of league play. I stay behind the ball and roll my fingers up through the ball on release with low to medium revs. Could finger pitch cause this? Or could it be my middle finger is getting hung up in the insert or? I will try to discover more when my finger is better. The pain is at the base of my finger and not in the joints but more on the palm side and under the bone.
BTW my bowling did improve.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: middle finger pain

Post by JohnP »

Yes, the pitch change probably caused this problem. Why did your PSO change the pitches? Did the change improve ball reaction? If not I would go back to the old pitches. -- JohnP
richardsymms

Post by richardsymms »

I do not know why - yeah, not smart, just trusted his judgement. And my bowling improved a lot. may average is 165 and I bowled two games over 270 so I was happy but gradually this finger got till I could not bowl. I am going back tomorrow to have him change the finger pitches back toward the 1" reverse that they were. Maybe 1/2" ???
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Wow! That is a very dramatic finger pitch change! Are you sure your PSO knows what he is doing? Is he IBPSIA certified? What is your finger flexibility? My daughter uses 0" finger linears but she's 10 yrs old and has rubber joints...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

Did he change the span ? by changing the pitch that much there may be too much pressure on the finger now...Steve S
BobGom
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8's up 3/4
Speed: 15.50
Rev Rate: 240
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 70
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by BobGom »

steve s wrote:Did he change the span ? by changing the pitch that much there may be too much pressure on the finger now...Steve S

What is the rule of thumb on increasing or decreasing finger pitch when it comes to span length.

My middle finger will hurt when I try a longer span which probably is due to not enough reverse when going to a longer span.

I know that Mo mentioned something about a formula that he suggest to accomadate this but I cannot find it.

Example for only,

If you have a 4 1/16 MF - 4 1/8 RF with 1/4 R on both and you were suggested to go 5/8 R on both, what adjustments would you make on the span to accomadate 3/8's more reverse in the fingers? 1/8" longer?

Thanks
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Bowling should not hurt regardless of the score.
Try this:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... itting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...or, where are you located? Maybe someone here can recommend a pro shop that knows how to fit properly.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
BobGom
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8's up 3/4
Speed: 15.50
Rev Rate: 240
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 70
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by BobGom »

TonyPR wrote:Bowling should not hurt regardless of the score.
Try this:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... itting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...or, where are you located? Maybe someone here can recommend a pro shop that knows how to fit properly.

Not sure if this was me or not.....been thru the Wiki fit. A booth at Nationals fitted me for a longer span and more reverse in the fingers and thumb. It's seems at least 1/8" to much based on the Wiki info but then again I have never had this much reverse in my thumb and fingers and I know that read something from Mo about adding reverse equals a small change in the span.

I am in the Seattle area and thought the people down at the Nationals would have been a great starting point.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

BobGom wrote:thought the people down at the Nationals would have been a great starting point.
There are very few people I can trust with fit.
When the words, "longer and more reverse" come up. I usually walk away from that situation.
Its not the 60s and 70s anymore.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Hello BobGom, my post was for the OP Richard, his middle finger hurts and bowling shouldn't hurt, I think the change in finger linears was way too drastic to do in one shot unless his previous fit was way off.
Richard: Mo uses 1/16" change in span for every 3/8" change in finger linears but span should be correct to start with. Some people use last crease in middle of the hole without stretching and some use midpoint between creases at bottom edge of hole again without stretching. I believe the later will call for less reverse finger linears than last crease in middle of hole span. To be safe on laterals fingers could be drilled along the CLT. The thumb is a hole different story but the flexibility chart is a good starting point if you get spans correct. Adjust thumb lateral for rub spots, you can use the cylinder test for a starting point. I think span is the single most important thing in fitting as it is the root for all other variables, get it wrong and you will be putting out small fires to fix the pain. Make sure your span is within the ranges I described above by inserting your thumb all the way in and laying your fingers over the holes without stretching or inserting them.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent