Basic summary of transitions

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Basic summary of transitions

Post by kellytehuna »

So let me make sure I understand this correctly.
  • The pin to spin line is the line drawn from the PIN to the PSA.
  • The first transition is controlled by the distance of the bowler's PAP to this line. The longer the distance between the PAP, the longer it takes for the Spin axis to cross this line, the longer it takes to reach the first transition, also known as the "break point"
  • The Intermediate Differential (High RG - Intermediat RG) controls the speed of the second transition and therefore the shape transition. The higher the Int. Diff, the faster the second transition occurs, the more the angular the move at the break point becomes. Conversely, the lower the Int. Diff., the slower the second transition occurs, the smoother the back end reaction.
Is that summary correct?
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Basic summary of transitions

Post by Mo Pinel »

kellytehuna wrote:So let me make sure I understand this correctly.
  • The first transition is controlled by the distance of the bowler's PAP to this line. The longer the distance between the PAP, the longer it takes for the Spin axis to cross this line, the longer it takes to reach the first transition, also known as the "break point"
  • The Intermediate Differential (High RG - Intermediat RG) controls the speed of the second transition and therefore the shape transition. The higher the Int. Diff, the faster the second transition occurs, the more the angular the move at the break point becomes. Conversely, the lower the Int. Diff., the slower the second transition occurs, the smoother the back end reaction.
Is that summary correct?
I'm currently on the phone with purduepaul. He is much more computer savy than I, since I AM a fossil. He will be posting charts from Advanced IBPSIA manual that will clarify your discussion of transitions. He will also address your summary. Hang in there. He will get to it during this weekend at his earliest convenience. OK?
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Re: Basic summary of transitions

Post by MathIsTruth »

kellytehuna wrote:So let me make sure I understand this correctly.
Is that summary correct?

Just a quick point, the first transition is the point on the lane where the ball finishes the skid phase and begins the hook phase. The first transition is not the "breakpoint". The second transition is the point where the ball finishes the hook phase and begins the roll phase. The breakpoint occurs between the 1st and 2nd transition.