Shift Bowl Question.

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
deadlyaim1
Preferred Company: Mo Rich

Shift Bowl Question.

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Hey. I just watched a Video on YouTube. Yeah, I'm a little late, I know. Like 5 years late. LOL....

It was Coach Mo Pinel, describing Shift Bowling. It sounds perfect for someone, me, me, who has inconsistent push away. I never thought it was because of Inertia, and my body just never wanted to change its state. In this case, from standing still on the approach, going to bowl. It's simple.

I totally agree with what was said. I can actually relate to it.

After Coach described it, a guy demonstrated the technique. It was good too, but what I noticed was that he placed the ball way lower than the waist height.

My question is whether it's some thing that was unique to him, kind a like Marshal Holman, who always kept it low, or Mike Scroggins etc?

Or.

Was it something that is a requirement of the style and every one who does Shift Bowl, has to do it. Even the likes of Earl Anthony who used to keep the ball chest high?

Any comments, or advice guys.....

I immediately practiced at home. It actually did make the transition smoother. Thanks Coach :)

It's just that I want to know the ideal ball placement in this?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Shift Bowl Question.

Post by JMerrell »

Youtube is a good source......but always check the WIKI first.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Technique" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The young man in the video is Mo's son Michael and I am the one manning the camera.

Personally, I don't use the Shift Bowl technique as a standard. But for those whom it is applicable.....it is Golden.

As for the starting ball position height...try various positions and choose the one that provides the most comfort with your execution.

Perhaps, when time prevails. Mo the "Father" of this technique could shed his thoughts.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Concerning the height of the ball in the Stance.
Mo has replied to topics on this forum with videos of bowlers employing the shift bowl technique that were holding the ball at heights that were not low.
He did not tell the Bowler to lower the ball. Also, that point is not mentioned in the video or the text.
If it were mandatory, I'm pretty sure the Maestro would have made that point.
As
Jim said, its always best to get the info from the source though.
The height in the Stance is one way to trigger different ball speeds. Some vary it, some do not.
The shift bowl technique is a clever technique to get the unmovable to move so to speak.
The key is to find the best thing for you. It's a good thing to try different methods.
Don Johnson and other great coaches frequently mentioned that they studied elite bowlers to establish common denominators. Don also had a few tricks about getting bowlers in motion, he did not restrict height of ball in Stance either.
Shift bowl is another arrow in the quiver.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

kajmk wrote:Concerning the height of the ball in the Stance.
Mo has replied to topics on this forum with videos of bowlers employing the shift bowl technique that were holding the ball at heights that were not low.
He did not tell the Bowler to lower the ball. Also, that point is not mentioned in the video or the text.
If it were mandatory, I'm pretty sure the Maestro would have made that point.
As
Jim said, its always best to get the info from the source though.
The height in the Stance is one way to trigger different ball speeds. Some vary it, some do not.
The shift bowl technique is a clever technique to get the unmovable to move so to speak.
The key is to find the best thing for you. It's a good thing to try different methods.
Don Johnson and other great coaches frequently mentioned that they studied elite bowlers to establish common denominators. Don also had a few tricks about getting bowlers in motion, he did not restrict height of ball in Stance either.
Shift bowl is another arrow in the quiver.

Thanks John. It's really great technique. When I tried it at home, it feels a lot better. Come to think of it, I believe Shawn Rash is the one who's stance, it seems, is derived from this technique.

When I first saw his Championship matches, I thought it was odd the way he stood, leaning backwards, but I think he is using this technique.

How does Coach Mo comes up with all these great ideas, and I don't? He is really amazing.
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

kajmk wrote: The shift bowl technique is a clever technique to get the unmovable to move so to speak.

I am that UnMoveable guy. It really is something I was going crazy thinking about. Always struggled when I was on the lane to start. Have been a lot in consistent because of not one way I used to push away and start.

Thanks to all the experts here on the Forum and specially The Man himself, Coach Mo, I believe I am a better bowler than what I used to be before coming to forum.

Thanks guys.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Shift/bowl is the method for introducing the five count system to a four step bowler. Shift/bowl is merely presetting the first step so that all the bowler does is shift their weight on the first count instead of taking a step. The key is to stick your butt out so all your weight is on the right heel (for right handers) in the stance. I use it constantly to make four step bowlers smoother. I can teach a four step bowler the five count technique in less than five minutes this way. Try teaching a four step bowler to be a five step bowler the convention al way. It can take weeks. Hopefully the bowler doesn't fall down or hurt themselves learning it.

Affectionately,
Mo
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Mo Pinel wrote:Shift/bowl is the method for introducing the five count system to a four step bowler. Shift/bowl is merely presetting the first step so that all the bowler does is shift their weight on the first count instead of taking a step. The key is to stick your butt out so all your weight is on the right heel (for right handers) in the stance. I use it constantly to make four step bowlers smoother. I can teach a four step bowler the five count technique in less than five minutes this way. Try teaching a four step bowler to be a five step bowler the convention al way. It can take weeks. Hopefully the bowler doesn't fall down or hurt themselves learning it.

Affectionately,
Mo
Thanks Maestro. The bowler is me, meaning my self. And yes. I didn't fall. But became smoother.

MyMy question was regarding ball placement.

What I did was, I stood as if I'm ready to push away in my stance. Then I take my right foot, put it one step length back, and sit on an imaginary chair. It worked like a charm.

Time for me to improve my release, now that I have Inertia sorted out.

Thanks.