Two Balls Cracked In the Past Month

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
mike497

Two Balls Cracked In the Past Month

Post by mike497 »

I have had an Aura Paranormal and Original Reax solid crack all the way around the ball, and both of these cracks appeared very recently. I never baked these balls or left them in extreme hot or cold temps...also, neither ball had a lot of games. I really like the Brunswick brands, and I also have a few more Brunswicks and Radicals, as well as four DV8 balls, but with this happening, it makes me a little leery of purchasing another. My main question is how do I go about contacting each company to see what they can do? Do I try to contact them separately, or will one call or email to the main Brunswick office suffice? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by mike497 on April 16th, 2015, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Two Balls Cracked In the Past Month

Post by elgavachon »

mike497 wrote:I have had an Aura Paranormal and Original Reax solid crack all the way around the ball, and both of these cracks appeared very recently. I never baked these balls or left them in extreme hot or cold temps...also, neither ball had a lot of games. I really like the Brunswick brands, and I also have a few more Brunswicks and Radicals, as well as four DV8 balls, but with this happening, it makes me a little weary of purchasing another. My main question is how do I go about contacting each company to see what they can do? Do I try to contact them separately, or will one call or email to the main Brunswick office suffice? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You pretty much have to go through your Pro shop, or distributor, or whoever you bought them from (ebay, etc). They have very good warrantys. I have had balls crack from about every company. Don't stress that they are Brunswick related. They have a very good warranty program.
RMColorado

Post by RMColorado »

As to Why? balls crack . . . that's another question. Aside from mishandling and neglect, why do reasonably cared for balls crack? The phenomena is a bummer for you, me and a lot of others.

Over the years, the stories and answers I've read/heard about/experienced, they all boil down to speculation — even though some explanations are more believable than others.

Bottom line: Regardless of the manufacturer, any reasonably cared for ball could crack, and there's no special handling or voodoo that will prevent it. Cracking is a risk shared by all bowlers. No rhyme or reason.

Bummer: losing a ball
Potential Upside: time to buy a new ball
Potential Downside: choosing a new ball
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Additional references.

Caveat, consider use of a safe browsing tool, such as Web Of Trust

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q ... as_rights=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a topic that begs for a wiki article.
If and when I get back on a computer I may do it, if someone on the forum does not beat me to it.
Wiki articles are a focal point.
This topic is an FAQ type.
In fact this is an FAQ item for pro shop walls an ball company web sites (might be there, haven't looked, my bad)

What say you. Just trying to give our community bang for the buck so to speak.

When you consider the fact that we have an amalgam of somewhat disparate substances adhered together, its perhaps a bit of a fete more of them don't crack.
It is a bummer though. I've had balls with hundreds of games, never cracked, a few with very few games or no games that cracked. None were abused or neglected, all were cleaned with approved products religiously.
Common fact, all remained motionless for varying periods, all were in the same climate, all were maintained the same.
The ones that were never used were not touched, cleaned, scuffed.
All balls were stored on a segment of carpet remnant with an oil absorbent woven paper toweltte.
Now if because of physics, this ostensible inanimate object has things that move due to physics, the stress on the object might change. That's a dumb a$$ guess of a naive old man.
There are a number of reasons given on various posts on this forum. Some may be speculative, some based on physics and chemistry. Probably a few dozen plausible guesses, the guesses get refuted or verified by testing and time.

Be that as it may, the link above is a sampling from different sources.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John