My review of Joe Slowinski's Anatomic Drilling Technique

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
purduepaul
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over by 5/8" up
Speed: 19
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling

My review of Joe Slowinski's Anatomic Drilling Technique

Post by purduepaul »

So first of all, I'm pretty good at figuring out new methodologies and techniques. Joe Slowinski's method takes some hard science on the hand and tries to apply it to a traditional fitting technique. First of all, there are a lot of simularities between his method and some other methods, however the skill needed to do this properly is pretty high. I think its technique will be actually harder for your average pro shop operator to do than Bill Hall's tri grip method.

So let's talk about the fingers first, it assumes your same lateral pitches that you have currently, and the forward reverse pitches are based on finger flexibility. On my current fit, I'm 1/2" left and 3/8" right and 1/8" forward with grips in both fingers. The Slowinski fit had me at the same left and right pitch and 1/8" reverse. But the pitches aren't off of the normal T grip but a 23 degree offset as shown in the one picture. When I drilled the lines on the 23 degree line, my pitches went to 1/2" left and 1/8" reverse and 1/4" right and 1/4" reverse in the ring finger. The affect of this pitch change will probably be an increase in axis tilt and a change of my PAP.

The thumb is then drilled off a line through the middle of the ring finger and the top of the thumb cut off of the T grip. The pitches are determined from the "new" IBPSIA pitch chart based on flexibility (add 1/8" forward to Mo's chart and you have the "new" one. The lateral pitch is an interesting measurement. Its based on the thumb's position with a "naturally cupped hand". I emailed Joe regarding that since honestly, It didn't see how the hand position needed to be and the thumb position can dramatically change based on if your hand is straight or cupped. I measured myself at an 1/8" left. This is the same measurement that I am based on Mo's cylinders. I was surprised that I drilled off of the modified line and it did not dramatically change my thumb pitches so it ended up being 1/8" left and 0" forward and reverse. However since it is only a slight offset it probably only changed my pitches 1/32" of an inch.

I'm going to throw it on Tuesday and give an update after that, however my initial impressions are this.

It's complicated, and I honestly do not think the average pro shop will do the method without a significant surcharge.

It's not terribly different than a traditional T fit with a performance fit to increase axis tilt.

Some of the measurements are very arbitrary and would benefit by tools (like Mo's cylinders) to accomplish the web angle (finger offset angle) and the lateral thumb pitch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Ridenour
former Sr Research Engineer at USBC
Radical Bowling Technologies Staffer
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: My review of Joe Slowinski's Anatomic Drilling Technique

Post by snick »

The ADT thumbhole would typically end up with a lot of left pitch, like 1/2" or more, depending on your base fit. (mine is 5/8" left, 0" linear)

The picture you posted shows very little apparent left pitch in the thumbhole.
Also, the grip inserts appear to be oriented along the thumb-line; the gripping edges should be perpendicular to the finger-line, so your fingers will be aligned with it.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

snick wrote:The ADT thumbhole would typically end up with a lot of left pitch, like 1/2" or more, depending on your base fit. (mine is 5/8" left, 0" linear)

Also, the grip inserts appear to be oriented along the thumb-line; the gripping edges should be perpendicular to the finger-line, so your fingers will be aligned with it.
Also, the grip inserts appear to be oriented along the thumb-line; the gripping edges should be perpendicular to the finger-line, so your fingers will be aligned with it. WRONG! The inserts should be aligned by tracing the fingers on the ball and aligning the inserts perpendicular to those drawn lines. Simple!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
purduepaul

Post by purduepaul »

snick wrote:The ADT thumbhole would typically end up with a lot of left pitch, like 1/2" or more, depending on your base fit. (mine is 5/8" left, 0" linear)

The angle between the offset thumb and the t grip thumb is less than ten degrees as shown in the picture, that's the reason why the left pitch doesn't increase a ton.
Paul Ridenour
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Paul, the instructions make a significant left lateral adjustment off the standard IBPSIA fit. If your thumb lateral is 1/8 left, you'd start by adding to that and take it from there. I'm still experimenting and it may take a few iterations, but the left lateral thumb is a big piece.

As far as the complexity goes, maybe it's helpful that I'm so inexperienced, because I found it straight forward to establist the new references and adjustments. Whether it's a dramatically better for me remains to be seen.
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by snick »

In the ADT specifications, 1/4" - 1/2" of "away" (left) pitch should be added to the IBPSIA fit for the thumb. 1/2" actually seems conservative from my experience with using a ball with this fit. I have 5/8" left in mine, and feel like it's a bit shy of perfection. Probably go to 3/4" left on my third iteration of this fit.

With the attitude of the finger-line being rotated counterclockwise in excess of 20º, a fairly large amount of left pitch is practically required in order to insert the thumb into the hole with the fingers on or near this line.
With inadequate left thumb pitch, the fingers (and finger inserts) will naturally have to rotate clockwise toward the thumbhole to accommodate the thumb, (as shown in the pictures in this thread) thus converting the attempted ADT fit to more or less a standard T-grip with incongruous linear and lateral finger pitches. (those pitches were drilled on a ~25º angle to the T-line!)
Byron

RH
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by snick »

The inserts should be aligned by tracing the fingers on the ball and aligning the inserts perpendicular to those drawn lines. Simple!
Thanks for the tip. Maybe this should be included the fitting docs in the wiki.
The tracing of my fingers is aligned with my finger-line.
Therefore, my grips/ovals can be aligned with my finger-line.
This is simple!
Byron

RH
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by snick »

The main problem I've seen with the ADT fitting procedure is that the process for deriving the finger-line angle is relatively straightforward and repeatable, while the process for calculating the thumb lateral pitch is a bit vague and arbitrary.
Ask three drillers to make the thumb pitch calculation and you'll get three different answers.

Would it make more sense to drill and fit the ADT pitched thumbhole first?
You could then insert the thumb into the ball and lay the fingers across the markup for the finger holes. Mark the ball at the web between the MF / RF and at the first knuckle. Connect those marks using the Prosect.
This should result in a finger-line that correlates closely with the drilled thumbhole geometry, and finger pitches that correlate precisely with the actual finger positions on the ball.
Byron

RH
purduepaul

Post by purduepaul »

snick wrote:In the ADT specifications, 1/4" - 1/2" of "away" (left) pitch should be added to the IBPSIA fit for the thumb. 1/2" actually seems conservative from my experience with using a ball with this fit. I have 5/8" left in mine, and feel like it's a bit shy of perfection. Probably go to 3/4" left on my third iteration of this fit.
My standard fit is 0" forward and reverse and 0" lateral. So yes, according to the bent hand diagram it is 1/8" left plus my standard 0". I agree that there needs to be a better way to measure the lateral thumb off of the cupped hand.
Paul Ridenour
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by snick »

Email from Slowinski, regarding thumb/finger measurement tests:
I will be measuring a bowler today for ADT.  I will take a video of
measuring the fingers and lateral thumb pitch measurements so you can see
the process of determining starting base lateral before ADT adjustments.
The hand diagram is used to determine the base thumb pitch, to which the ADT adjusted left pitch (1/4-1/2) is added. It's like the soda can thumb angle test, except that right pitch is not included as an acceptable result. So your ADT left pitch is probably 3/8" - 5/8".
Byron

RH
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

purduepaul wrote:
My standard fit is 0" forward and reverse and 0" lateral. So yes, according to the bent hand diagram it is 1/8" left plus my standard 0". I agree that there needs to be a better way to measure the lateral thumb off of the cupped hand.
Joe has since emailed his method for determining base lateral thumb pitch (he thinks a bowler should never have Palm pitch). For the ADT, you'd add 1/2" away to that pitch. He has said that for anyone not already using Away pitch to start the ADT with 5/8" Away.

It definitely provides a different feel, but it's funny that people are saying that the increased Away pitch keeps them behind the ball, whereas increasing Away pitch is supposed to increase Rotation and Tilt per performance fitting.
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
BowlingCoach
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: Bowling Knowledge

Post by BowlingCoach »

I appreciate a review of the ADT grip. It is important that the review be consistent with the intended grip design. The response has been extermely positive and so many are discussing this grip along with other grips (Tri-Grip, Max-Y, Frankie May Action) which is good for our sport.

The combination of the ADT CLT and thumb through ring finger anatomical line paired with the extra lateral allows for the natural gripping motion to face the pinky/ring side of the hand, which research shows actually has a stronger influence on gripping.

What I have heard from pro shop operators is the fact that it is significantly easier than the Tri-Grip. In fact, most people have mentioned how easy the process is and I have heard from hundreds of people now. The process is not complex.

(1) Complete a standard T with cut-to-cut lines and a Dual Angle Layout from the PAP.

(2) Map-Out and Drill from the Layout Center Line and Bridge the fingers with an ADT CLT measurement
[youtube][/youtube]

Inserts should be custom aligned for each individual. See attached image. Your posting completely disregarded the alignment of the grips to the thumb through finger alignment angle (ADT CLT).

(3) The anatomical line of the thumb pitches and oval runs from the layout (T) cut of the thumb through the ring finger.

Here is a quick summary of the anatomical and sport science truths that were used in the development of the grip. These are the foundations of the ADT grip which allow it to be effective in improving the swing and release while reducing injury.

(*) Research has shown that the pinky and ring finger, the ulna side of the forearm, contribute more to a human's grip strength than do the middle and index finger. This is an anatomical truth based on how human's grip. When the drill line is shifted toward the ring and pinky, a bowler can more easily swing and release the ball because there is less tension in the wrist and do more with less effort.

(*) The release line of the ADT grip, after the thumb exits, grip aligns the fingers parallel to the forearm which is the for transferring energy from the body to bowler as kinetic, potential and elastic energy converged in the release to follow-through movement. Elite bowlers release through the center of the bowling ball.

(*) The range of motion of the Carpometacarpal (CMC) joint of the thumb and the muscle mass of the thenar muscles play an important role in both reducing tension in the wrist and allowing the ball to sit flatter on the hand. By using significantly more lateral away pitch in the thumb the thenar muscles will sit down as well as achieve a state of reduces tension in the wrist on the thumb side. Since the thumb sits outside of the index finger, the base lateral measurement starts away and then an ADT adjustment is made to relax the thenar muscle. This movement is thumb extension. You can see the effect of lateral pitch on the thenar muscle by moving your thumb laterally toward (flexion) and away (extension) from the palm.

Measure the Base Lateral Pitch Measurement with the MP and CMC joint movement as shown in the video and use the chart I sent-out. I recommend adding 1/2" to this base so the ADT lateral is is in the range of 5/8" to 3/4" (base 3/16" to 5/16" for most) in order for the thenar muscle to sit down and also relax the wrist. Use the chart to establish the base lateral before adding the 1/2" for the first test.
[youtube][/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Slowinski
USBC Gold Level Coach
IBPSIA Pro Shop Professional
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by LabRat »

BowlingCoach wrote: The combination of the ADT CLT and thumb through ring finger anatomical line paired with the extra lateral allows for the natural gripping motion to face the pinky/ring side of the hand, which research shows actually has a stronger influence on gripping.
(snip)
Here is a quick summary of the anatomical and sport science truths that were used in the development of the grip. These are the foundations of the ADT grip which allow it to be effective in improving the swing and release while reducing injury.

(*) Research has shown that the pinky and ring finger, the ulna side of the forearm, contribute more to a human's grip strength than do the middle and index finger. This is an anatomical truth based on how human's grip. OK. When the drill line is shifted toward the ring and pinky, a bowler can more easily swing and release the ball because there is less tension in the wrist and do more with less effort.
While I don't necessarily see why the two statements are related, any combination of pitches that places the thumb on the plane through the centre of the ball and the ring finger should have the same effect on grip strength.
(*) The release line of the ADT grip, after the thumb exits, grip aligns the fingers parallel to the forearm which is the for transferring energy from the body to bowler as kinetic, potential and elastic energy converged in the release to follow-through movement. Elite bowlers release through the center of the bowling ball.
There are obviously a mass of typos here. However, I would disagree that elite bowlers release through the centre of the ball with their fingers parallel with the forearm - most use a cocked wrist position, while the ones that don't tend to get around the ball a lot (a' la PDW). Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the paragraph, though.
(*) The range of motion of the Carpometacarpal (CMC) joint of the thumb and the muscle mass of the thenar muscles play an important role in both reducing tension in the wrist and allowing the ball to sit flatter on the hand. By using significantly more lateral away pitch in the thumb the thenar muscles will sit down as well as achieve a state of reduces tension in the wrist on the thumb side. Since the thumb sits outside of the index finger, the base lateral measurement starts away and then an ADT adjustment is made to relax the thenar muscle. This movement is thumb extension. You can see the effect of lateral pitch on the thenar muscle by moving your thumb laterally toward (flexion) and away (extension) from the palm.
I kind of see what you are getting at here, but I feel the base premise is flawed. Yes, the thumb sits outside of the index finger, if you use the forearm as the reference line. When the hand is gripping a bowling ball, the reference line should be from the bridge to the base of the thumb though. Where the tip of the thumb sits in reference to the plane through this line and the centre of the ball determines the pitches needed, imo. At some point, some tension is required due to the physical need to hold on to the ball in the swing. Whether it is desirable to actually have the ball sit flatter in the palm (flatter than what?) is also questionable.
Measure the Base Lateral Pitch Measurement with the MP and CMC joint movement as shown in the video and use the chart I sent-out. I recommend adding 1/2" to this base so the ADT lateral is is in the range of 5/8" to 3/4" (base 3/16" to 5/16" for most) in order for the thenar muscle to sit down and also relax the wrist. Use the chart to establish the base lateral before adding the 1/2" for the first test.
How are the thumb linears measured? Surely these would have to be determined by the amount of left and the angle of the drill line from the rf?
Hi Joe,
I have been following the ADT discussions with some interest. Comments/queries above in green.
I'll follow up once you have replied, but I would just note that muscle tension occurs with both flexion and extension, and some degree of flexion using a large muscle mass is usually less fatiguing than the similar degree of extension by a smaller muscle mass. I do agree that the thumb should sit in the ball along the natural gripping line (I think this is what your grip is trying to achieve), but I don't agree that this aligns with the rf in all cases (for me personally it doesn't) nor that a lot of left is required to sit the hand on the ball.
Kudos to you for the thought that has gone into the concept, every step towards improving our understanding of fitting is a positive one imo.
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by snick »

So far, I have bowled about 40 games using the ADT fit (thumb: 5/8 Left 0 Linear, fingers: 27º ACL 7/16 Left 9/16 Right, 1/4 Reverse) on two different bowling balls, and my impression of the hand position in the grip is that it is remarkably similar to holding a football or softball; it actually feels more natural to me now than the "standard" fits I've been using for 25 years.
Byron

RH
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Snick, how did you determine your finger laterals? Did you start with 7/16" for both fingers and then adjust for comfort to 9/16" RF on a subsequent ball? I like the football feel analogy, can't wait, will have 1 ball drilled next week to try it.

One question, once the correct grip is determined using ADT, can it be replicated in other balls by measuring the ADT drilled ball from a T grip perspective?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

TonyPR wrote:Snick, how did you determine your finger laterals? Did you start with 7/16" for both fingers and then adjust for comfort to 9/16" RF on a subsequent ball? I like the football feel analogy, can't wait, will have 1 ball drilled next week to try it.

One question, once the correct grip is determined using ADT, can it be replicated in other balls by measuring the ADT drilled ball from a T grip perspective?
ABSOLUTELY! That's simple spherical geometry.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by snick »

TonyPR wrote:Snick, how did you determine your finger laterals? Did you start with 7/16" for both fingers and then adjust for comfort to 9/16" RF on a subsequent ball? I like the football feel analogy, can't wait, will have 1 ball drilled next week to try it.
My finger hole size is ~5/8" and the bridge 1/4".
.625/2 + .25/2 = 7/16" L and R.
Added 1/8" right to the ring finger, which was probably not a good idea.
I'm sticking with the fan chart on the next ball.
Byron

RH
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Snick, but wouldn't the laterals dictated by the fan chart, which was designed to be used on T grip, come out wrong when drillied using the finger line angle used in ADT?

BowlingCoach, how do you suggest we determine finger laterals for ADT?
Should we use the fan chart?
Should we just use 7/16" L and R?
Should we just use the laterals we currently use on our nonADT balls?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

DarkHorse wrote:
Joe has since emailed his method for determining base lateral thumb pitch (he thinks a bowler should never have Palm pitch). For the ADT, you'd add 1/2" away to that pitch. He has said that for anyone not already using Away pitch to start the ADT with 5/8" Away.

It definitely provides a different feel, but it's funny that people are saying that the increased Away pitch keeps them behind the ball, whereas increasing Away pitch is supposed to increase Rotation and Tilt per performance fitting.

Are you referring to this?

viewtopic.php?p=80637#p80637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"To Increase Axis Rotation and Tilt - add 1/8 left lateral to all three holes"
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by snick »

TonyPR wrote:Snick, but wouldn't the laterals dictated by the fan chart, which was designed to be used on T grip, come out wrong when drillied using the finger line angle used in ADT?
That's an interesting observation.
Drilling the holes along the ACL apparently accounts for lateral bias to some extent, so the lateral pitches should probably be calculated for parallel zero (7/16" L and R for 5/8" finger holes), so the linear pitches will be aligned with the ACL.

Note: as Mo eloquently pointed out in a post here, the fingers are NOT parallel to each other, which begs the question: in an anatomical fit, should each finger have its own ACL? (for the purpose of drilling anatomically correct linear pitches)
This is especially relevant for those using finger grip inserts that tend to spread the finger tips apart.
Byron

RH