Hey Mo, any advice on the 2015 nationals patterns?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
MDD

Hey Mo, any advice on the 2015 nationals patterns?

Post by MDD »

Hey Mo, any advice on the 2015 nationals patterns? I remember last year You/Radical did a really nice write up on it. I'm sure there are many that would love to know your thoughts on how to attack the patterns/ball choices before they head out to El Paso.
halfaclue
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 x 1/8 up
Speed: 19 off hand
Rev Rate: 405
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65*
Heavy Oil Ball: REAX Version 2
Medium Oil Ball: Yeti Untamed
Light Oil Ball: Grease monkey
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Hey Mo, any advice on the 2015 nationals patterns?

Post by halfaclue »

I'm sure Mo has something in the works and will share with the great citizens of bowlingchat when he completes.
Dan

Ball speed: 19 mph (off hand)
Tilt: 18*
Rotation: 55*
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

A severe Cliffs notes version from a discussion we had during his recent shop visit in Detroit earlier this week on this topic...

"Stay right and ball down..."

I am sure that he will elaborate soon, although I know that he still has a lot on his plate for the next couple of weeks (er, months...)
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Additional resources

You also might want to check out these on above180.com
Capture.JPG

http://above180.com/2015/03/john-janawi ... n-pattern/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://above180.com/2015/03/2015-usbc-o ... ke-jasnau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

MDD wrote:Hey Mo, any advice on the 2015 nationals patterns? I remember last year You/Radical did a really nice write up on it. I'm sure there are many that would love to know your thoughts on how to attack the patterns/ball choices before they head out to El Paso.
Just posted it!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MDD

Post by MDD »

Nice write up on the patterns Mo, Thanks!
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

cant download the pdf because my "dumb" phone is too flakey lately. is there any other way to get the write up?

rr
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

I've copied and pasted most of the information below, there is a table at the end of the article summarizing the presentation that I wasn't able to copy. -- JohnP

Once again, it is tournament time, and we are happy to provide a guide to help bowlers develop a lane play strategy for this year’s USBC Open Championships in El Paso, Texas. Our goal is to present recommendations for ball and layout selection, as well as a guide for lane play, for this year’s Open Championships. It is very important to note that this year’s patterns are much flatter than the patterns used at previous USBC Open Championships, and that is very likely going to result in much lower scores.
Article by
Mo Pinel
Technology Developer and Radical Dude
radicalbowling.com
As we review the pattern information, keep in mind that the parameters don’t tell the whole story. The
Team event has a 1.64 to 1 pattern ratio, and the Doubles/Singles event has a 1.86 to 1 pattern ratio., although the shapes of the two patterns are slightly different, they are both very flat. This will put a premium on accuracy. However, bowlers will get some relief from the longer buffing distance (9-10’) that will help promote proper skid, hook, roll with the ball motion. The biggest challenge is going to be dealing with the 20 to 21 feet of bone dry backend reaction as you navigate the ball to the pocket.
After carefully considering the pattern information, I am suggesting the use of balls with stronger cores utilizing low-flare layouts and as much surface as possible to control the breakpoint and help transition the lane from boards 2 to 6. Using this strategy in practice and throughout the first 10-15 frames should help to maximize the opportunity to create better ball motion and improve your chances to bowl higher scores in the later stages of each event.
Bowlers should start with the stronger balls prepared with more surface and change to slightly less aggressive balls as the transitions and oil is removed from the outside boards of the lane.
With the shorter patterns, all the balls should have low flare layouts with plenty of surface to help provide the proper motion and transition the lane outside of the seventh board. For lane play, bowlers should play a straighter line near the first arrow in order to navigate the 20-21’ of dry backend and break down the oil to open up the angles and area at the breakpoint in the later games of each event. Just be sure to ball down as the lanes transition, creating more friction outside.
RADICAL TIMES
Radical
Bowling
Technologies
March 2015
RADICAL APPROACH (Cont.)
I am very excited about the fact that these patterns will allow us to display the hard hitting qualities of the Radical Top Shelf Guru series. The original Guru and the new Guru Mighty are perfect balls for these patterns with the low flare layouts. Depending on your style, both Gurus will provide excellent ball motion when utilizing the proper layout and surface. Low flare layouts combined with 1000 to 2000 grit surface should be used on the fresh, and bowlers should look to ball down to weaker balls as the lanes transition. I can easily see a progression from a Guru to a Guru Mighty to a Grease Monkey POW. These are excellent ball choices on patterns that require a more consistent ball motion.
As a recap, I am recommending balls with stronger cores using low flare layouts and surface in order to achieve predictable ball motion and improved pin carry. In addition, bowlers should play the outside part of the lane (around boards 2-6) to control the pocket and breakdown the oil. As the lanes start to hook, bowlers should ball down gradually to stay in the same part of the lane. If you succeed in breaking down the outside significantly, you can finish the set with a dull symmetrical ball, if needed.
Please note that these recommended strategies for lane play and ball use are dependent on the bowler’s release and comfort zone for lane play. The bowler’s rev rate, ball speed, axis rotation, and axis tilt will determine the amount of surface to be used for the starting ball choice and for the subsequent ball choices.
As with any year at the USBC Open Championships, the real keys to success include executing good shots, making spares, and adjusting to the transitions in the oil pattern throughout the tournament in order to control the pocket and maximize pin carry. We wish you “Good Luck, Good Bowling, and Safe Travels.”
For all the latest Radical Bowling Technologies product information, please stop by the National Bowling Store at Fiesta Lanes in El Paso. The staff will be happy to assist you.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

rrb6699 wrote:cant download the pdf because my "dumb" phone is too flakey lately. is there any other way to get the write up?

rr

Use a computer to download! That's what they're for.
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

Where is it posted?
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

davidjr113 wrote:Where is it posted?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10872