Reality vs perception

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Re: Reality vs perception

Post by russelldean »

LabRat wrote:
Heavy balls deflect less because they have more momentum. Surface deformation has very little, if anything to do with it. Whether a ball is rolling or still skidding affects deflection too, but it's mostly weight.

I disagree, I will take a 15 lb ball rolling in the pocket vs a 16 still in the hook phase every time.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by LabRat »

russelldean wrote:

I disagree, I will take a 15 lb ball rolling in the pocket vs a 16 still in the hook phase every time.
While I did say "Whether a ball is rolling or still skidding affects deflection too", if the entry angles are the same I doubt you will see much difference. (between the 15 & 16, I mean)
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Arkansas wrote:
Making a ball "pearlized" is accomplished by putting some type of additive in with the base formula. Whether it comes polished or sanded, the same or different grit than the solid counterpart, it's the additives that make the difference.
BINGO! There are at least 2 ways to pearlize a ball. If you use powdered pearl, you will NOT add length, just increase the shape of the breakpoint. If you use liquid pearl (mother of pearl), you will definitely add length. At Brunswick, it's all about the base resins and the additive packages that determine the effect of the cover on the shape of the ball motion.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)