Guru vs. Everything Else

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
kboveington
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16 right ⅜ down
Speed: 20-21 mph at foul line
Rev Rate: 550
Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 55
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Re: Guru vs. Everything Else

Post by kboveington »

Very cool video. And definitely one of the most detailed currently out. I must admit I wanted to see it compared to the crux, as well as the mastermind. Maybe next video you could put all the balls at the same surface?
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by LabRat »

kboveington wrote:Very cool video. And definitely one of the most detailed currently out. I must admit I wanted to see it compared to the crux, as well as the mastermind. Maybe next video you could put all the balls at the same surface?
I've been thinking about Mo's comment regarding surface and I think he is right. The manufacturers do what they do for a reason. If they promote a ball as for heavy oil, then it should be finished with a surface appropriate for that condition. If it isn't, that's not Mo's problem. Leaving them at box also means there is no bias into the surface chosen - the test maintains the integrity of the manufacturers intent.
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

LabRat wrote: I've been thinking about Mo's comment regarding surface and I think he is right. The manufacturers do what they do for a reason. If they promote a ball as for heavy oil, then it should be finished with a surface appropriate for that condition. If it isn't, that's not Mo's problem. Leaving them at box also means there is no bias into the surface chosen - the test maintains the integrity of the manufacturers intent.
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought the same way you did.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

kboveington wrote:Very cool video. And definitely one of the most detailed currently out. I must admit I wanted to see it compared to the crux, as well as the mastermind. Maybe next video you could put all the balls at the same surface?
The Crux was not available when the test was done, or it would have been there.
kboveington
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16 right ⅜ down
Speed: 20-21 mph at foul line
Rev Rate: 550
Axis Tilt: 5
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Post by kboveington »

Those are all valid points. However I think putting the balls at the exact same surface neutralizes the playing field completely. For example the deadly aim is finished at 4000. Of course that ball will go 60ft on heavy oil. Most competitive bowlers would put a lower grit on that ball if the intent was to use it on heavy oil.

Honestly the sinister looked to be a better heavy oil ball. I personally liked the heavier mid lane roll compared to the guru. However the guru might be a good complimentary piece once the sinister is too early or starts hitting flat. Looks like I would be able to move further left and trust the ball would come back.

I still enjoyed the video and thought it was very informative. Just trying to make a good thing even better.
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "
mattypizon
THS Average: 203
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 right x 1 up
Speed: 20 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 10
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm, Motiv

Post by mattypizon »

Mo: thank you for the Guru layout recommendation!!! It is amazing. I added a 15/16 x 3 p3 balance hole and it is exactly what i hoped it would be.

Bahshay and i were really impressed with the overall hook of this ball. I was playing 5th arrow and breaking around 7 going dead flush. The roll is strong but super consistent, no jumpiness at the break, just pure power.

I won't pull any punches here......I love my Sinister but the Guru is definitely the most overall hook I have experienced without the erratic transition that gets you in trouble. Im expecting good scores with this one!
Rev rate ~ 350
Speed 17.5 at foul line
Tilt 8*
Rotation ~ 55*
PAP 4 1/4 right x 1 up
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

mattypizon wrote:Mo: thank you for the Guru layout recommendation!!! It is amazing. I added a 15/16 x 3 p3 balance hole and it is exactly what i hoped it would be.

Bahshay and i were really impressed with the overall hook of this ball. I was playing 5th arrow and breaking around 7 going dead flush. The roll is strong but super consistent, no jumpiness at the break, just pure power.

I won't pull any punches here......I love my Sinister but the Guru is definitely the most overall hook I have experienced without the erratic transition that gets you in trouble. Im expecting good scores with this one!
Fair enough!!!!! The Guru is something very special. And the Sinister is a nice ball.
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

mattypizon wrote:Mo: thank you for the Guru layout recommendation!!! It is amazing. I added a 15/16 x 3 p3 balance hole and it is exactly what i hoped it would be.

I feel like Matt sold the ball short by saying that he and I were impressed by the amount of hook. The motion also received praise from the pro shop assistant, bowling alley manager, and the bowlers next to us. Impressive ball indeed.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

Mo

This refers to your comment on Sinister but really applies to all balls. You said Sinister tested at 1800 grit on the prophylometer, despite it reported 4000 OOB by Rotogrip. BJI, who you referred to, reports
3150 effective grit. Can you elaborate on these differences 1800/3150/4000 and similar ones with other makers? Thanks

Dave
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

davidjr113 wrote:Mo

This refers to your comment on Sinister but really applies to all balls. You said Sinister tested at 1800 grit on the prophylometer, despite it reported 4000 OOB by Rotogrip. BJI, who you referred to, reports
3150 effective grit. Can you elaborate on these differences 1800/3150/4000 and similar ones with other makers? Thanks

Dave
Check with BJI on how they arrived at their #. Mine is an approximation based on balls that have previously been tested.
56bird

Post by 56bird »

I have a few comments and a question.

In regards to the OOB surface, I think it was a question of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Even if the testers had adjusted all of these to a particular surface, you'd have people saying "well, my favorite ball would have done much better if you'd chosen a different surface", or, "How are we to know the surface adjustments were the same... brand new pads every time, same exact duration and pressure...", maybe if it had all been machine-done you might dodge the questions but I'm not sure.

You might have done the biggest favor to Ebonite. There's a general concensus out there that the top shelf Ebonite products are piss-weak compared to the other bigs, well my recent experience with a Pivot Point says otherwise and so does this test. Makes one wonder (again) about the "Perfect Scale" (Pivot is around 212, Sinister is what, 230?). They look roughly the same to me in the test. Ebonite's marketing is truly vanilla and hype-free, but they are making some good stuff.

Comparing the Guru to the Sinister/Pivot, I do wonder what accounts for the difference in the way they read (with the Guru longer, but as strong or stronger than the other two). Is it the somewhat lower diff of the Guru? The slightly higher Mass Bias? Something to do with the core shape (drilled numbers)? It is what it is, but I find it interesting.

My final thought should be an obvious observation if it's not. Only one manufacturer today has the cajones to publish such a comparison.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

56bird wrote:I have a few comments and a question.

In regards to the OOB surface, I think it was a question of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Even if the testers had adjusted all of these to a particular surface, you'd have people saying "well, my favorite ball would have done much better if you'd chosen a different surface", or, "How are we to know the surface adjustments were the same... brand new pads every time, same exact duration and pressure...", maybe if it had all been machine-done you might dodge the questions but I'm not sure.

You might have done the biggest favor to Ebonite. There's a general concensus out there that the top shelf Ebonite products are piss-weak compared to the other bigs, well my recent experience with a Pivot Point says otherwise and so does this test. Makes one wonder (again) about the "Perfect Scale" (Pivot is around 212, Sinister is what, 230?). They look roughly the same to me in the test. Ebonite's marketing is truly vanilla and hype-free, but they are making some good stuff.

Comparing the Guru to the Sinister/Pivot, I do wonder what accounts for the difference in the way they read (with the Guru longer, but as strong or stronger than the other two). Is it the somewhat lower diff of the Guru? The slightly higher Mass Bias? Something to do with the core shape (drilled numbers)? It is what it is, but I find it interesting.

My final thought should be an obvious observation if it's not. Only one manufacturer today has the cajones to publish such a comparison.
Truly valid observations.

Your paragraph:

The answer is the unique core shape of the Guru. Related to a factor other than RGs, and diffs. That test is confirmation of our proprietary technology stemming from the good, old Offset patent.
Pulsetech
THS Average: 222
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 1/2 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 500
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru
Medium Oil Ball: Score
Light Oil Ball: Grease Monkey
Preferred Company: Storm /Radical

Post by Pulsetech »

Mo is that the principal the 3D Offset Hammers (Faball) were made on ?

Loved those balls in the mid to late 90's
Greg Robertson.

Right Handed
New stats as of 10/3/16
18 MPH at the line
Rev Rate 500
Axis Rotation 40 - 90
Axis Tilt - 14
PAP - 5" over, 1/2 up
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Pulsetech wrote:Mo is that the principal the 3D Offset Hammers (Faball) were made on ?

Loved those balls in the mid to late 90's
The original 3D Offsets were the beginning of this technology, but at a much lower level of it. There's more to come.
Pulsetech
THS Average: 222
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 1/2 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 500
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru
Medium Oil Ball: Score
Light Oil Ball: Grease Monkey
Preferred Company: Storm /Radical