Reading Lane Graphs and Charts

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Revkiller
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 3/4 up
Speed: 16.5 - 17.
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Virtual Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Nomad Solid / MoRich Frenzy
Light Oil Ball: MoRich Mojave
Preferred Company: Storm / MoRich

Reading Lane Graphs and Charts

Post by Revkiller »

I have begun to take a more serious look at lane Graphs and Charts as I embark upon a High School Coaching experience. While I fully recognize that you will see for yourself what challenges a particular lane pattern presents it can be a valuable tool. For one thing, I think it will be useful in helping our bowlers determine what equipment to bring and how to dial in some of their equipment. We will be limited to 4 balls per bowler.

As I look at various charts I can see the volumes and ratios both side to side and front to back as well as the lengths by zone. I want to educate myself as much as possible so I may pass along as much information as possible to the bowlers, some of whom are quite competitive. It would be nice to be able to describe certain characteristics of the patters to the competitors so they can develop a feel over time from what they see on the charts to what they experience on the lanes. I recognize there are many other factors but again this is one tool.

One area I am struggling with is what the Characteristics are of oil being laid down Forward, Reverse, Combined and Buffed. Can someone explain what putting the oil down forward does vs. reverse or what impact buffing has. I would also like to understand what impact the Drop Brush has. (ex. drop brush 34')

Our first challenge will be on the WTBA London pattern, on older AMF synthetics a 44" pattern to be laid out by a Kegel Kustodian Ion Sport machine.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I'm sure I will be asking a great deal of questions in the coming months. While I currently coach a travel team this will be an entirely new experience for me. I am probably not the best choice however the school would not have a program otherwise.
If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con' what is the opposite of 'progress'?
crazyjim
Preferred Company: all

Re: Reading Lane Graphs and Charts

Post by crazyjim »

To be able to accurately interprete what the charts/graphs mean to the typical bowler you need to have something to compare it to. For instance, if you have seen a graph of the league shot that you bowl on regularly you now have something to compare the London shot to. But, you still need experience on the challenge shot otherwise you will not understand just how much the volumes affect the balls reaction.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Hi Revkiller,
I've been trying to get time to provide some direction with your question, hopefully I can get it started and with all the knowledgeable people on this site et an WIKI article established.

Lane Graph guidelines:
1) Starting breakpoint = length of pattern minus 31
2) Check the total number of 2-2 loads (forward and reverse).
3) Forward loads create the shape of the pattern (example: Christmas tree shape of the typical house pattern)
4) Reverse loads create the hold in the pattern (starting reverse loads further down the lane to increase hold) Slower speeds in the head area on the return will increase the amount of conditioner in the heads (increase skid through the heads).
5) A pattern with a breakpoint inside the second arrow plus more than five 2-2 total loads in the pattern is usually a good indicator that you will see out of bounds outside the second arrow.
6) Side to side ratios of 3:1 or less very competitive, higher side to side more forgiving.
7) Lower front to back ratios usually more difficult, higher front to back ratios help the ball slow down.
8) Combined oil is just that, areas of the lane that receive oil on the way down and back.
9) London pattern starts oiling at 16 feet from the foul line on the way back (reverse). And only applies oil from the 16th board on the left to 15th board on the right. And gradually increases the shape of the pattern to the 12th board from the left to the 11th board on the right back to a distance of 5.9 feet from the foul line. It then buffs out the remaining oil on the roller towards the foul line (zero 2-2 loads from 5.9 feet back). Also notice how the speed of the machine decrease as the machine gets closer to the foul line.

WTBA London Pattern:
1) Length 44 -31= 13 as starting breakpoint
2) Because of the eight 2-2 loads, outside the second arrow should play out of bounds.
3) Suggested starting breakpoint around 12-13, if bowler misses right (around 10-12) and ball does not recover, but plays straighter to the breakpoint area and the ball will not hold - it is generally better to move the feet further in and keep their misses down lane inside of 12. This move will help keep their misses away from the out of bounds, and if they get their feet in the right place they may see a little push on misses inside.

Tell the boys, Hello!

Edited ---------------------------------------------
A good summary by Ted Thompson of Kegel
http://www.kegel.net/library/foArticles.asp?iKodYazi=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JMerrell on October 17th, 2011, 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

I like to think about lane patterns graphics as treasure maps, they give you a good idea of where to start to seek for the treasure, but the number of steps counted by the map maker may not be the same size of your steps, so you will have to be in the real place to know exactly where to look to find the treasure. You can assess many things with the information you get from the graphs but you will not find a line to the pocket until you hit the real lane, its topography, friction and many other factors can make the same patterns two different beasts in two different bowling centers.

This article may not relate directly to the lane patterns you refer to but is a very interesting one if you have a team and want to make a zone to play any given condition.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php? ... &Itemid=46
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Please explain what a 2 - 2 load is. Thanks -- JohnP
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

2-2 load is a reference to oil being applied from the 2 board on the left to the 2 board on the right.

Hopefully, I can do this explanation justice as this can get pretty involved.
The first slide is a graph of the WTBA Tokyo Pattern.
Pattern length is 43 feet
Pump setting is 50ul (common choice of pump setting is usually either 40 or 50).
Volume is 25.4ml

The lane machine starts out by applying six 2-2 loads (as a 1-1 load could cause oil to run into the gutters) a distance of 9.9 feet from the foul line at a machine speed of 14.

Notice as the pattern shape continues down lane the machine speed increase as less volume is being applied to the lane over a greater distance (creation of length wise taper).

During the forward loads oil is applied 30 feet down the lane and buffs out any remaining oil on the to 43 feet.

The reverse loads are applied starting 20 feet from the foul line.

In the last slide, I added up the volume of ul of oil applied by both the forward & reverse loads and divided this total by 1000 to convert the pattern volume to ml.

Hope this helps,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JMerrell on October 17th, 2011, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JMerrell
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

OK, the 2 - 2 is the boards in the pattern. Makes sense. I understand most of the rest of it, but not sure what a "load" refers to. Is that a pass of the oiling tubing as the oil is applied? -- JohnP
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

As far as I understand it Kegel machines transfer oil via loads not units. Pump pressure can be dialed up or down plus machine speed can be adjusted. Many factors to consider. Units are a measurement of what is picked up via the tape and put thru the tape reader. Total volume is stated in milliliters forward, reverse and total volume. People that state units are incorrect in volume in that is ONLY a measurement via the tape reader.

Scott
AMFJEFF
Preferred Company: storm

Post by AMFJEFF »

The machine cannot oil 1-1. The reverse drop feature is only on the newest Kegel machines, wich helps with taper. The patterns play different from house to house due to different lane surfaces. The shorter the pattern typically you start further right. I am a lane tech. it is a verry demanding job to keep bowlers happy, hard to believe how a few degrres change in the building will change the pattern, ask your local lane tech, he or she be more then happy to help you, also bowltech is a great sight to learn more about lane patterns.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

A load is the amount of oil applied by the machine a given distance down the lane.
In the Tokyo example, the total load for the first 9.9 feet was 11100ul (11.1ml).

If could take that oil from the lane and put it into a graduated cylinder, you would have 11.1ml of oil.

When programming the machine with the KOSI software, you choose the stream size (50ul in the Tokyo example), the number of boards to be crossed (37) and the number of loads to be applied (6). The software then figures out the distance and speed the machine must travel in order to evenly distribute this load. Etc, etc for each load you enter in the program.
-JMerrell
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

It's starting to make a little more sense. But I'm an engineer, I need more details. First, stream size. In the example it's 50 ul, but 50 ul per what (maybe per load)? There are 6 loads in the first 9.9 feet, does that mean the oil nozzle crosses the machine 6 times in those 9.9 feet? And the term "pass" is used, what is a pass? I appreciate your patience, hope these will be the last questions. Thanks -- JohnP
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Fluid Dynamics and laminar flow - kinda of remember that class.
Started out in Aerospace Engineering, elected to major in Mechanical instead.

I'll try to answer your questions:

Pass
When conditioning a lane the head travels back and forth across the transfer roller
applying a stream of oil.

50ul in the Tokyo pattern example is the size (volume) of the oil stream.

The size of the stream is set to an exact volume and controlled by a fluid metering pump which runs at a constant speed.

The oil nozzle (head) moves back and forth across the machine at a constant speed. Based upon the number of loads & the machine speed chosen by the pattern programmer, the KOSI software will then calculate the distance the machine needs to travel in order to disburse the desired programmed loads evenly to the lane surface.

The six loads equate to the volume of desired oil applied in the 9.9 feet.

A 2-2 load covers 37 boards (width of lane 39, minus 2 for not oiling the first board on each side).

Six loads of a 50ul volume covering 37 boards(width of lane covered) a distance of 9.9 feet (calculated by program) equals 11100ul of oil applied. ( 37 x 50 = 1850, 1850 x 6=11100ul).

All things being equal a 1-1 load would have applied 1850ul of oil over the same 9.9 feet.
Definitely a lot more friction!

Creating a pattern, just like creating ball motion requires both knowledge & and a lot of experience.

Kegel Lane Machine manuals:
http://www.kegel.net/support/fodownloads.asp#5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JMerrell on October 19th, 2011, 4:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-JMerrell
scotts33

Post by scotts33 »

The size of the stream is set to an exact volume and controlled by a fluid metering pump which runs at a constant speed.

The oil nozzle (head) moves back and forth across the machine at a constant speed. Based upon the number of loads & the machine speed chosen by the pattern programmer, the KOSI software will then calculate the distance the machine needs to travel in order to disburse the programmed loads evenly to the lane surface.
One issue being pump pressure and kind of lane conditioner used and why pump pressures are fooled with.....this can trick the situation up and make a pattern play along with lane topography totally different than one think it should.

From what I see most houses don't tape read their house condition well enough to even know what they put down on a regular basis.
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

Kegel machines come calibrated at 40µl or 50 µl, that means that in a 40µl machine, one load is 40µl. That's why when you see kosi sheets for the same oil pattern for both calibrations, the 40µl sheet will show higher values on the forward an reverse tables, in the end for the same zone of the oil pattern the volume per foot is the same in both cases, knowing that and the size of a load of the Brunswick A22, it would be possible to make translations for that machine.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
Revkiller
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 3/4 up
Speed: 16.5 - 17.
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Virtual Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Nomad Solid / MoRich Frenzy
Light Oil Ball: MoRich Mojave
Preferred Company: Storm / MoRich

Post by Revkiller »

JMerrell wrote:Hi Revkiller,
I've been trying to get time to provide some direction with your question, hopefully I can get it started and with all the knowledgeable people on this site et an WIKI article established.

Lane Graph guidelines:
3) Forward loads create the shape of the pattern (example: Christmas tree shape of the typical house pattern)
4) Reverse loads create the hold in the pattern (starting reverse loads further down the lane to increase hold) Slower speeds in the head area on the return will increase the amount of conditioner in the heads (increase skid through the heads).
5) A pattern with a breakpoint inside the second arrow plus more than five 2-2 total loads in the pattern is usually a good indicator that you will see out of bounds outside the second arrow.
6) Side to side ratios of 3:1 or less very competitive, higher side to side more forgiving.
7) Lower front to back ratios usually more difficult, higher front to back ratios help the ball slow down.
8) Combined oil is just that, areas of the lane that receive oil on the way down and back.
9) London pattern starts oiling at 16 feet from the foul line on the way back (reverse). And only applies oil from the 16th board on the left to 15th board on the right. And gradually increases the shape of the pattern to the 12th board from the left to the 11th board on the right back to a distance of 5.9 feet from the foul line. It then buffs out the remaining oil on the roller towards the foul line (zero 2-2 loads from 5.9 feet back). Also notice how the speed of the machine decrease as the machine gets closer to the foul line.

WTBA London Pattern:
2) Because of the eight 2-2 loads, outside the second arrow should play out of bounds.
3) Suggested starting breakpoint around 12-13, if bowler misses right (around 10-12) and ball does not recover, but plays straighter to the breakpoint area and the ball will not hold - it is generally better to move the feet further in and keep their misses down lane inside of 12. This move will help keep their misses away from the out of bounds, and if they get their feet in the right place they may see a little push on misses inside.

Tell the boys, Hello!

http://www.kegel.net/library/foArticles.asp?iKodYazi=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim, thanks for the info. I have had difficulty finding any of this type of information elsewhere on the web. I am embarking on an uncharted path and will be looking for lots of support. That’s what makes this site so great. Next I’ll be looking for some team coaching tips.

The boys are doing well and are looking forward to getting together again sometime in the near future. I’m thinking about Dec Jan time frame. The summer program with you and MO worked out great.

Thanks again.
If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con' what is the opposite of 'progress'?
MattyBiggz
THS Average: 227
Speed: 17+
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Alpha-Max
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Ulti-Max
Light Oil Ball: DV8 Misfit
Preferred Company: Brunswick (@ the moment)

Post by MattyBiggz »

JMerrell wrote:Hi Revkiller,

Lane Graph guidelines:

WTBA London Pattern:

Tell the boys, Hello!

I've read Slowinski's notes, and I could be wrong, but the "minus 31 rule" is pattern length - 31 = where you ball should leave the pattern not necessarily your break point. On some patterns, it may be your break point, but it's meant to be a good estimate on where your ball should be leaving the pattern. That's what I got from his article. Correct me if I'm wrong.
MattyBiggz
Columbus, Ohio
Avg: ~225 THS
High Game: 300 (4)
High Series: 809 (2)
Current Equip: Brunswick Ulti-Max, Alpha-Max, Karma Solid, Loaded Revolver, Wicked Siege, Damage, DV8 Misfit, Storm Crossroad, Storm Frantic, Storm IQ Tour Pearl, RotoGrip Golden Globe
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I went to http://www.bowl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to scout out a reference.
This is the first one I found. Still looking ...

This happens to have a picture of Liz Johnson a moment after the release.
We have had questions such as 'where should I look' - ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
scotts33

Post by scotts33 »

This is the minus31 Slowinski BTM article.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... nov_08.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MattyBiggz is correct according to Joe it's where the ball exits the pattern. Not that that can't be in correct depending on all the various factors involved but it's probably a good idea where to start.

Scott
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

scotts33 wrote:This is the minus31 Slowinski BTM article.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... nov_08.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MattyBiggz is correct according to Joe it's where the ball exits the pattern. Not that that can't be in correct depending on all the various factors involved but it's probably a good idea where to start.

Scott
I guess the creator of the system is right then :)

Here's a 5 step breakdown as found on the Kegel Site
- Saturday, April 05, 2008
By Joe Slowinski, Master Teaching Professional
http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/V2/f ... KodYazi=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a comment Mo made about the algorithm
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Semantics

True:
The pattern length minus 31 is the exit point of the ball at the end of the pattern by definition.

However, the oil is invisible and you can't see where the oil pattern ends from your perspective at the foul line.

You can see where there ball is the farthest from the pocket (breakpoint) during it's path down lane.

Most people tend to use exit point & breakpoint interchangeably. Remember we are only trying to establish a starting point. Ball motion will tell you where you need to be from there.

Not sure about the 5 point system - The Focal Point Targeting System as taught by Mo Pinel was around long before Joe ever had a job at Kegel. I believe Del has had some influence on Joe, as Del (during his tenure with Track) accompanied Mo around the country as Mo was doing presentations on the Focal Point System of Targeting.

Thanks for the correction.
-JMerrell