Balance holes...

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
TMack

Balance holes...

Post by TMack »

This might be a simple one, but I have yet to figure it out completly. When and why do you angle a weight hole? I know on the Double Thumb you need to so it doesnt hit the thumb hole, but what does angling a weight hole do for dynamics?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Balance holes...

Post by Mo Pinel »

TMack wrote:This might be a simple one, but I have yet to figure it out completly. When and why do you angle a weight hole? I know on the Double Thumb you need to so it doesnt hit the thumb hole, but what does angling a weight hole do for dynamics?
I used to preach pitching the balance hole, but I WAS WRONG! Once Steve finished our studies of the mass properties of drilled balls, there is no apparent benefit to pitching the balance hole other than missing one of the gripping holes, mainly the thumb hole. Intersecting a balance hole with a hole larger than 1/4" is a violation of USBC rules.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
TMack

Post by TMack »

Mo Pinel wrote: I used to preach pitching the balance hole, but I WAS WRONG! Once Steve finished our studies of the mass properties of drilled balls, there is no apparent benefit to pitching the balance hole other than missing one of the gripping holes, mainly the thumb hole. Intersecting a balance hole with a hole larger than 1/4" is a violation of USBC rules.
Thanks Mo,
You answered my question. (as usual)
Thanks, Tim
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

I originally asked this in another thread but it was slightly off the main topic so thought I would ask it here as it is about balance holes.

Say I have a ball that needs both side weight and finger weight removed, or perhaps just finger weight. Where is the best place to remove that weight from without having too much of an impact on the balls drilled dynamics? I've drilled fingers deeper when there isn't too much to be removed so as to avoid putting a balance hole in the ball, but is there a point at which a balance hole would be the better choice? Or is it always the better choice? How large of a hole, or how deep of a hole at a given size is going to keep the drilled dynamics mostly the same (specifically when placing the hole above the midline)?

Has any research been done similar to the Gradient Line technique but for holes above the midline?

Generally I try to get balls with a pin to cg distance long enough to put the cg at or below the midline, and I mostly use the Dual Angle layout system, but I do have some customers who want a shorter pin to cg distance (or who bring me balls from elsewhere) and have wondered how much I was effecting the reaction with a balance hole above the midline or with deeper than normal fingers.

Thanks.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

MattInTheHat wrote:I originally asked this in another thread but it was slightly off the main topic so thought I would ask it here as it is about balance holes.

Say I have a ball that needs both side weight and finger weight removed, or perhaps just finger weight. Where is the best place to remove that weight from without having too much of an impact on the balls drilled dynamics? I've drilled fingers deeper when there isn't too much to be removed so as to avoid putting a balance hole in the ball, but is there a point at which a balance hole would be the better choice? Or is it always the better choice? How large of a hole, or how deep of a hole at a given size is going to keep the drilled dynamics mostly the same (specifically when placing the hole above the midline)?

Has any research been done similar to the Gradient Line technique but for holes above the midline?

Generally I try to get balls with a pin to cg distance long enough to put the cg at or below the midline, and I mostly use the Dual Angle layout system, but I do have some customers who want a shorter pin to cg distance (or who bring me balls from elsewhere) and have wondered how much I was effecting the reaction with a balance hole above the midline or with deeper than normal fingers.

Thanks.
I prefer drilling the fingers deeper, first, to reduce finger weight. Then, you can use the "Gradient Line" more effectively for the balance hole placement. The P2 balance hole placement will maintain the dynamics of the ball the best. P3 or more balance holes increase ball dynamics. A P1 balance hole will significantly reduce ball reaction.

As for size and depth, I get to use my age old seminar line. "I have always preferred small holes deep!" At least, 2 1/2" deep.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)