Tounament Shot

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Tounament Shot

Post by Qman »

We had our year end tournament and did know what to expect for the shot. Well let's say as a starter. The league I bowled on starting the year I thought the shot was a challenging one but a fair one whether you hooked it or not. Not alot of honor scores past half way through. Then the new owners decide to tweek the shot and give you a blocked shot look but not a flat out block. First night out scores were up like night and day. First game we had over 20+ 200 games. They used that shot the rest of the season. Then when it came to the year end tournament I swear up and down he put a reverse block out as the shot and alot of the other bowlers said the same thing. We had only 3 200's the first night out. If you are going to change the shot, do it at the beginning not the end of the year.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Re: Tounament Shot

Post by jdrsuper »

QMAN,

They should have told everybody what shot they were putting out for the year end tournament. Your byline says it all adapt or perish. I would assume that during practice you realized that the shot wasn't the normal league shot and you don't say what you shot. Not to be critical but obviously people were
not able to adapt and so they perished. I bowl weekends in ABT tournaments where reverse block shots happen at least once a month, I find that for myself a left handed oldster (76) low speed 12 mph and rev rate of 220 that urethane and plastic work the best for me on that condition. Hopefully you'll do better the next time you encounter a reverse block, it's a tough shot to master.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Re: Tounament Shot

Post by russelldean »

I have been doing lanes, and bowling on the same pattern week in and week out for years. Sometimes lane machine failure, or lack of maintenance, can cause the pattern to seem totally different. Lack of cleaner volume due to failing pump, cloth problems, lack of cleaning brushes from lint or keeping vacuum lines clean, vacuum leak, head timing. Not saying the pattern wasn't changed, but sometimes something goes wrong. The average bowlers ball travels through the back of the lane in about .75 seconds. A little film on the back of the lane makes a drastic change. House shot can turn in to serious OB in a hurry. Not always intentional when ball motion is gone.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..