Board index » Mo & Friends » General Discussion

Forum rules

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.

Post subject: Thumb Swelling Tricks?
 Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 am Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
When my thumb swells, like it does on most of us I suppose, I haven’t figured out exactly what I need to do to stop that, or to fix that, or to work around that.......

I don’t know if the air is supposed to help, that blows out of the back end of the ball return; or if powder is supposed to help. I use both of those. I’ve even gone back into the pro shop a couple of times and had the whole resized a little bit bigger, and change the radius of the edge of the hole.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

Post subject: Re: Thumb Swelling Tricks?
 Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:53 pm Post Number: #2 Post

Keep your thumb above your heart when you’re in the setee area. If it happens every time you bowl, you’ll have to learn to add/remove tape from the ball to keep it fitting right. Or you could go interchangeable thumb insert and get 2 or 3 in different sizes to go from your smallest thumb to the most swollen. Turbo makes a “cushion “ insert for the back of the hole that can fill the area so it’s not loose and still get your thumb out. Main thing is it should be snug so you don’t squeeze.

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Certified Coach

Reputation Power: 6
Do a search on this forum for chapstick. You will find a lot of replies dealing with thumb issues.
Parker Bohn III recommended chapstick. I always carried it afterwards

I copied this from one of my replies.

"Pro Tem, Quick coping tips:

A TINY bit of lip balm like chapstick applied on the place you feel the resistance will lubricate the area. Caution a little goes a long way. This could be a good addition to your accessory bag.

Wrap a tissue or handkerchief around your thumb, insert your wrapped thumb into the thumb hole, this is to force fluid out of your thumb. Work the thumb in and out and in and out. The effects can last just long enough to make a shot. The fluid WILLINGNESS return shortly.

Keep your hand raised between shots, for example, rest it on your opposite shoulder, using gravity to reduce fluid.

Avoid salty foods, avoid msg.

Get an ice pack, put ice in it, Wrap the thumb. Other ad hoc methods using ice while keeping the thumb dry.

Determine whether the problem is in your technique or the hole.
Determine other variables, shot frequency, weather, game situations, and so on.
Keep a Bowling diary.

Avoid making a permanent change for a random or temporary condition."

http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html

"An ever vigilant press is the guardian of a free society."
E-books are convenient, but easily changed or removed
"Belief without thought endangers freedom."
John

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:36 pm Post Number: #4 Post

One thing I found that helps me immensely is using thumb tape on my thumb. What I do differently is I make sure the tape covers the sides of my thumb. What I found is without side coverage, my thumb swells and then I start hanging. Since I started doing this, my thumb rarely changes while bowling, and when it does, I usually have to add tape. I use the Turbo black patch that is normally used on the fingers. Even when I have to jam my thumb in the ball, I still get out very cleanly. YMMV.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 am Post Number: #5 Post

soupy1957 wrote:
When my thumb swells, like it does on most of us I suppose, I haven’t figured out exactly what I need to do to stop that, or to fix that, or to work around that.......

I don’t know if the air is supposed to help, that blows out of the back end of the ball return; or if powder is supposed to help. I use both of those. I’ve even gone back into the pro shop a couple of times and had the whole resized a little bit bigger, and change the radius of the edge of the hole.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

Tiny bit of chapstick works wonders.

Just at the side of your thumbs where it is catching.

If not, I end up opening the thumb - which I have to fill up a couple of days later with tape.

http://www.tasankar.com

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:49 pm Post Number: #6 Post

I bought a plug and had it drilled JUST so it's tight. . . then when my thumb starts swelling, I'll stick my thumb in there while I'm not bowling, so it keeps my thumb from swelling up. Pull the thumb out, bowl, seems to work.

Now I'm putting that cloth tape on the back of my thumb (and adjusted ball tape to fit) and haven't had the same issues, but we're heading in to Summer so . . .

Board index » Mo & Friends » General Discussion