Certified coaching

You can post any forum related suggestions or feedback here.

Moderator: Moderators

JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Certified coaching

Post by JohnP »

Several times I have had something I would have liked to post in response to a thread in the Certified Coaching forum. I am not, nor would I claim to be, a certified coach. But I have been around the game for almost 50 years and have bowled with both good and not so good players. Is there some way those who are not certified could comment in these threads with a "Not Certified" disclaimer? Thanks -- JohnP
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Certified coaching

Post by MegaMav »

John,

You can send a PM to the user on the subject or post a new topic like kajmk does with the subject in the title. If Jim deems it acceptable, he can merge your post into the topic.

Typically open discussions are for the Coaching Discussion forum.

-Eric
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

I can understand wanting to help and I know that just because you have a certificate doesn't mean you are actually qualified, just like not having a certificate doesn't mean you aren't qualified. But the forum was setup in a way to give members (and the forum) a place where you can feel confident that you are going to get the best information possible from people who have taken the extra steps to further educate themselves on current coaching principles, and that the information you will receive will be honest and non-judgemental (so we hope!).

I'm not saying that you or anyone else would not be helpful or would be inconsiderate, I know you are a very helpful person as are many other members here. Just trying to explain why that forum is the way it is.

Though I have always thought it would be nice if the original poster could respond to the coaches in their own posts. I don't know if that is even possible with the forum software to distinguish the original poster from other non-certified members.

And another thought I just had, Eric suggested PMing members with advice which I have done as well as received advice this way. Playing off the reputation system, maybe in the future we can have a group that would include those members who have given coaching help to other members through PM and are given reputation points for it, who after earning enough points would then be allowed to comment within the Certified Coaches group. Kind of like an honorary degree (albeit still earned).
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

OK, I understand. I've sent a few PM's in the past, will continue that way. However, sometimes people don't read their PM's. -- JohnP
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

JohnP wrote:OK, I understand. I've sent a few PM's in the past, will continue that way. However, sometimes people don't read their PM's. -- JohnP
I like the post a new topic option. That way we can all benefit from your knowledge.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for something ...

In my search, I found a very good comment/obsrvation by Mo Pinel in the topic

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1593&p=12459&hilit=Footwork#p12459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a difference between CERTIFIED and EFFECTIVE. Again, semantics.

OPINION: Bowling needs a dependable way to develop EFFECTIVE coaches.
If there was one, I would have definitely become a willing student.
The USBC has improved, but results vary.
No disrespect to any certified coach.
Kudos to all with the eye and judgement to EFFECTIVELY help folks improve.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John